Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Boat advice (Read 1359 times)
Cantyguy
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Boat advice
May 27th, 2018 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
Having just sold a 5metre Kiwi kraft with a 90hp 2 stroke Merc on it ( result of a partner wanting his money out) I've decided to replace it with another pontoon boat in the 4.5 to 5 metre range. So a couple of questions Stabi, Osprey or Kiwi  kraft? I have no experience with other makes. There appear to be some reasonably priced Stabi 459's out there.
Next question 4 stroke or 2 Stroke E Tec. Boat will be used almost exclusively for fishing of the Canty / Kaikoura coast.
cheers in advance.

Digital Hunter...in search of the perfect pic

IP Logged

Upland Hunter
Just Joined

Re: Boat advice
Reply #1 - May 28th, 2018 at 11:29am
Print Post  
Did a similar deal a few years ago sold Kiwicraft 505 with a 70hp 4 stroke Evinrude great boat for fishing mainly fresh water but cost alot to carry annual maintenance. Purchased a 3.5m smartwave but was too small, went back to a Frewza 5m with a 75hp E-Tec because of 3year servicing and power out of the hole for waterskiing and is good for lake fishing. You buy direct from the factory with Frewza which saved money quite a bit of money back then. The 75 E-Tec also good on fuel but now they tell me to get a service each year to change some filters ?.

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

Reply #2 - May 28th, 2018 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
Cantyguy wrote on May 27th, 2018 at 7:08pm:
Having just sold a 5metre Kiwi kraft with a 90hp 2 stroke Merc on it ( result of a partner wanting his money out) I've decided to replace it with another pontoon boat in the 4.5 to 5 metre range. So a couple of questions Stabi, Osprey or Kiwi  kraft? I have no experience with other makes. There appear to be some reasonably priced Stabi 459's out there.
Next question 4 stroke or 2 Stroke E Tec. Boat will be used almost exclusively for fishing of the Canty / Kaikoura coast.
cheers in advance.

I think I would have just paid out the partner, it would have probably been the cheaper option and you get to keep a tried and proven good 5mt boat,  the Kiwi Kraft is one of my preferred options in that small Ally boat range.

IP Logged

Cantyguy
Donor Member

Reply #3 - May 28th, 2018 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
Yea, wish I had now

Digital Hunter...in search of the perfect pic

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

Reply #4 - May 29th, 2018 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
Cantyguy wrote on May 28th, 2018 at 7:44pm:
Yea, wish I had now

Grin  as for outboards, I am very impressed with the boys new Evinrude, it pushes his 6.4 Kiwi kraft  loaded up to the hilt at around 25-27 knots at around a litre per nautical mile, often less in good sea conditions.  Remember a 2 stroke has over 200 less moving parts than a four stroke.

These new 2 strokes don't have those annoying exhaust emissions of the old engines, are much lighter than the four strokes  and are much quieter as well as becoming more fuel efficient than four strokes.

Picture to show I am not telling porkies.

IP Logged

XRhunter
Donor Member

Reply #5 - Jun 1st, 2018 at 11:26am
Print Post  
Who would go 4 stroke with those sorts of figures???
My 1980ish 95hp 2 stroke on a half metre shorter boat uses exactly twice that qty of fuel fully laden doing a tad under that speed

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

Reply #6 - Jun 1st, 2018 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
XRhunter wrote on Jun 1st, 2018 at 11:26am:
Who would go 4 stroke with those sorts of figures???
My 1980ish 95hp 2 stroke on a half metre shorter boat uses exactly twice that qty of fuel fully laden doing a tad under that speed

I have to admit i was a bit dubious XRhunter, but  Mike managed to get a few fishing trips out on a mates larger 7mt + oceanraider a heavier boat using this same motor, the fuel consumption or lack of was staggering, Mike was at the pumps each trip to see how much it used.

Evinrude have been around along time and the American boat markets don't take bullshit to well. I am now a big fan of these Gen 2 engines.
Thought i better add, this motor is 50HP more than the boat is maximum rated for, at wide open throttle its farking scary at over 50 knots unladen and reaches around 37-40 knots loaded to the hilt, so when running at 25-27 knots the motor is not working all that hard as you can see by the rev counter which probably helps with the economy, Propellors are the important bit!!  getting the best prop for your boat and its main usage is the tricky bit.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards