Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic here we go again...270 (Read 1849 times)
imjustme

Re: here we go again...270
Reply #15 - May 29th, 2018 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
yea thats some sound reasoning for the problem, Im gonna check it out...all my gear is at a friends place where I do my loading so the way life is it could be a while but watch this space.
cheers all you good buggers.

IP Logged

imjustme

Reply #16 - Jun 10th, 2018 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
Question
So I have decided to work up another load as this latest one is not so great I have superformance powder to try and some 145 gn sst's (going for the better bc)
Anyway my over all bullet length can only be 84.5mm as thats the length of my mag this gives me a jump of 2.85mm to the lands. Sounds like a lot to me is that even ok for the rifle ya think?
Thoughts anyone
Cheers
Oh and btw I measured the buttons on the die set and they seem good. look like new even.
guess I should have sized the new brass for consistency

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #17 - Jun 10th, 2018 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
in MY poohseventy I always load to magazine length as it is plurry near impossible to get anywhere near the lands....with a 130grn ballistic tip it is barely within the case mouth. accuracy is fine and more than enough for any hunting I will ever do.hovers around the inch mark no matter what load it gets fed.

IP Logged

B.T.S.P.
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #18 - Jun 15th, 2018 at 10:49pm
Print Post  
Your original load at 58g of 2231sc is plenty good enough dont be fixated on way over max loads, its hard on brass and will lengthen  it, plus open primer pockets quicker. try rcbs dies and full length size your brass to sammi spec or to your chamber length less 0,05mm. Purchase the correct gauges for this and lube cases in the necks and on the body. If you bend the necks (run out) all can turn to shit, a bent expander ball will do this. If you cannot get 5-6 repeatable hand loads per case then you are making mistakes. Measurement is the key, check the sized brass in your chamber before loading it, pick up faults early, get the correct measuring equipment, wear glasses if it helps.

IP Logged

B.T.S.P.
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #19 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 12:28am
Print Post  
I full length size always, put it through a fixed length trimmer as a habit. You can get a cheap lee hand cutter and shell holder,which will trim to the correct length 64.26mm, it only cuts when case is longer than. You say loading with new brass  is getting a good result so why change powder, it's your resizing of the once fired brass that's changing results. normally you change powder if your repeating reloads just don't group tight enough, key word is repeating. Example, I was getting 28mm groups with 2213sc @ 200m 140g interlock, (my worst of the best 140g projectile groupings) with rl22 @ 56.0g mild load (winter test) and they can be touching @200m, the 2213sc result was still plenty good enough for hunting. BT 140g book max of 2213sc is very good also and easy on brass, control the bore copper fowling when load testing, good luck.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #20 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 9:36am
Print Post  
re run out..concintricity..... what I was taught to do and have always done and when they have been checked or others do it and check it works is...when seating projectile start it into case then stop and rotate 180 degrees and finish seating.

IP Logged

imjustme

Reply #21 - Jun 18th, 2018 at 1:16pm
Print Post  
cheers guys
yea I have made up another lot to test of the original load just to make sure the last lot (second fired) wasn't a miss measure or what ever. I also have a few new loads to test of superformance and 145 sst's same as mooseman on "the other forum". I started lower and will work up to his load of 57gn.
Im not after a hot load, i was happy at 2800 and Ill be happy at 2800 again. Ive never been able to reach the speeds of a lot of 270's with this rifle, dunno wether its just a slow barrel or me not having the nuts to push it.
I measured my dies and they read ok (both the same) but Im still just neck sizing. I measured my brass and none of it is over length and it chambers well so...
anyway Ill let ya's know the results when I get to the farm for a test fire  again.
thanks again

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #22 - Jun 18th, 2018 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
good stuff bud,re reading Mr Fosters reloading book last weekend he does mention there can be quite a difference between new and fireformed brass as capacity changes and brass behaves differently.

IP Logged

Bos
Donor Member

Reply #23 - Jun 20th, 2018 at 10:14am
Print Post  
Dont get hung up on velocity. Provided you've got a reliable drop chart you'll be fine. 2800 - 3000 out of your 270 will be sweet

IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Reply #24 - Jun 20th, 2018 at 11:52pm
Print Post  
I just buy the ammo and pull the trigger,lot easier. Grin if I was younger id get into reloading. Wink

Shot a few deer,caugth some big trout and salmon

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards