Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic here we go again...270 (Read 1573 times)
imjustme

here we go again...270
May 27th, 2018 at 1:39pm
Print Post  
fellas.
A while ago I asked the question re my 270 and powders ect...well I settled on 2213sc norma brass (all new) 140gn nosler bt.
velocities weren't great (2800) but it shot like a demond. so I was happy as.
So Ive gone through all my new brass and started reloading second time  around. I noticed the seating pressure is a lot tighter in the resized brass second time around and boy has it made a difference and not in a good way..
Its not grouping as well and may be running a little slower as its poi is 3 in lower than the first lot....wtf. gutted. Id rather not by new brass all the time to get my old load back ...it get bit expensive
Im now wondering if I should try another powder and was thinking about the Hornady superformance.
I have done some research, as ya do. and while not popular it has done well in some cases.
So yea just wondering if anyone on here has had any joy, or has any advice.
do you all have problems reloading second time around? is that normal?
and shell I just work up a new load with used cases and hope it stay consistent?
cheers in advance people.

IP Logged

Bos
Donor Member

Re: here we go again...270
Reply #1 - May 27th, 2018 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
I'm guessing that by "seating pressure"you mean whats often referred to as neck tension.
Seems strange that neck tension alone would make that much difference. I've used 58 gr of 2213 with 140 gr Accubonds for years, but I only neck size (as opposed to full length).
While I use RCBS and Redding dies, my neck sizing die is a Lee collet die. These have a floating expander ball and seem to be a bit gentler on the brass necks so might be worth a try.They're not very expensive
Id also maybe check that your powder load and seating depth isn't compressing the load. That doesnt explain neck tension but will contribute to changes in poi.

IP Logged

evergreen

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #2 - May 27th, 2018 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
Mooseman at the other site has a 140gr load using superformance powder that is "next level". I would check it out if i still had a 270Win.

IP Logged

JaSa

Know your (rifles) limits

Reply #3 - May 27th, 2018 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
Sounds more like head space to me. Do you load C.O.L. or O.A.L.?
If C.O.L. your brass might have extended and you are now too close to the rifling?

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #4 - May 27th, 2018 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
have you trimmed to length?????
did you champher case mouths????
did you run new cases through dies or load as they came????
are you lubing case mouths when resizing???I use powdered graphite in lid of lead shot...
if anything the used cases SHOULD be slightly bigger in capacity so maybe slightly more powder needed??never seen it myself but never bought new brass either.
if your loads are 3" low but group still tight,run with it and dont for crying out loud put load over a chrony.... far better to have an accurate load thats a little slower than maximum speed and crap grouping,unless its your up close n personal bush load.

IP Logged

6.5x55bjai

Reply #5 - May 27th, 2018 at 10:29pm
Print Post  
Chrony your load again. From your original post it would appear you did this during development. You are flying in the dark without that info.

I use Lapua these days over several calibers and it is always super tight (high seating pressure) on the first loading, even after running an expander thru the necks. So, cannot understand why you're getting high seating force on the second load. Try putting a vernier across the expander plug on your sizing die.

New factory cases will usually expand on first firing reducing their capacity and the size of the pressure vessel and the resultant pressure generated. They would have to expand a huge amount to drastically affect your second load velocity though and if they were under size to start with you would potentially have other problems eg headspacing and maybe misfires.

Need more info eg velocity, condition/description of fired primers etc. Scales used, scales checked, same powder lot throughout and so on. Full length sizing or neck sizing. Any problems chambering the cases 1st loading or 2nd loading.
Most vitally though a velocity.

IP Logged

imjustme

Reply #6 - May 28th, 2018 at 9:45am
Print Post  
wow lots of variables
Do i lube? Yes Wink
do I trim?  no Wink they never really stretch a trimable amount to trim from new.
did I run through the size die from new? no.
Its the very same load recipe as the first load in every way apart from second hand cases. I can't give ya the name of the scales but its a very good electric auto everything type, tested against a good old balance scale and test weights so I have confidence their.
how do i measure? loa and Im limited to mag length so im maxed out.
can't remember the jump but remember it being a little more than I would have liked, That said it grouped so well I wasn't worried about it.
And no I dint crony this new load. as I need to borrow one which I don't like to do. I was gonna work it out after I'd checked zero with bullet drop at range, as I found it to be so consistent with the shooter app in the past.
BTW that 3 in" low is at 200 M as thats what I zero at. So yea not sure about speed as I only had three to test run. It could be just a different POI? Id be ok with that if I got a better group, it printed over 2.5" at 200M which isn't all bad i know but my old load was 1" at 200M (maybe I just had a really good day).
....just another thought popped into mined....Summer vs winter? would it make that much difference? with ADI powders ect
hope that answers some questions
cheers for the reply's thus far  Smiley   

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #7 - May 28th, 2018 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
reason I asked about trim is to check overall case length...if the new case was borderline long and it stretched a little it COULD BE  wee bit too long thus tight to seat projectile.....just thought was all.
same size from new ...eliminated point from above,undersized expander plug....
summer vs winter could definately be difference,hot case/powder/rifle will run higher pressure I believe...thats why guys dont make a hot load in cool conditions,,,,,it be rifle wrecker in heat of summer.

if youve only tried 3 loads and get 2.5" at 200 yards well youve proven rifle will go bang 3 times and hit target but it couldve been a bad day for you too so I wouldnt be in hurry to say you have an issue...also I assume you fired 3 of old load at same range session???? which would rule out any other reason for POI shift....
as for overall length,Im limited by mag in my old mod 70 and it dont worry me a hoot,last 2 deer went arse over tit with 140 grn hornady no problem.

IP Logged

imjustme

Reply #8 - May 28th, 2018 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
M D
I put a few down range before the test of my latest so yea it was quite obvious to see the difference.
I checked out Moosemans post on the "other site" suggested by Evergreen (thanks for that) and Im sold on testing some superformance powder .
so at the end of it Ill ether have a pot of 2213 or most of a pot of super to sell....
Ill let yall know how I got on
thanks

IP Logged

stug
Forum Font

Reply #9 - May 28th, 2018 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
I would say that the sizing button in the die is slightly small and not expanding the neck up as much as the new brass.
First I'd take out the sizing button and measure it to see how big it is. I'm
One option is to buy Redding dies that have the interchangeable inserts (can't remember the proper name) that size the neck down a minimal amount, they aren't cheap though.
You might be able to buy a new sizing button that is slightly bigger.
Otherwise a different brand of die might be worth a try.

IP Logged

imjustme

Reply #10 - May 28th, 2018 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
yea maybe.....they are the hornady three set.
got them second hand sooooo.....maybe

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #11 - May 28th, 2018 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
good stuff...mate in states tried the super after I showed him same thread.....his results were interesting to say the least.... where it was good it was good but where it wasnt it really wasnt....accuracy was fine but velocity erratic...and this fella is pedantic.

IP Logged

Rugersst
Forum Font

Victory is mine...

Reply #12 - May 28th, 2018 at 10:53pm
Print Post  
I'd suggest having a second session at a target, if same results playing with your sizing/neck die is where I'd be starting

IP Logged

evergreen

Reply #13 - May 29th, 2018 at 4:54pm
Print Post  
Micky Duck wrote on May 28th, 2018 at 9:24pm:
good stuff...mate in states tried the super after I showed him same thread.....his results were interesting to say the least.... where it was good it was good but where it wasnt it really wasnt....accuracy was fine but velocity erratic...and this fella is pedantic.

good to know. I have gone to 7mm now bit used 2209 to good effect with 110 and 130gr.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #14 - May 29th, 2018 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
imjustme wrote on May 28th, 2018 at 8:58pm:
yea maybe.....they are the hornady three set.
got them second hand sooooo.....maybe

might be worth running calipers across BOTH sizing buttons if neck one is larger switch them and try again..... funny I ran mine in cordless drill and sandpapered the edges down....maybe someone did same but took it too far.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards