Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Ruahines in June? (Read 1114 times)
L Plates
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Ruahines in June?
May 27th, 2018 at 7:21am
Print Post  
Hi all. Iím a novice hunter looking to explore the Ruahines early June. Any wisdom out there about areas that might be worth a look? Heading in for 3-4 days. Cheers!

IP Logged

Murray N
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Ruahines in June?
Reply #1 - May 27th, 2018 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
What part , the Ruahines are a large area .

IP Logged

L Plates
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #2 - May 27th, 2018 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
Thanks Murray. Am looking at north ruahines on the western side only because itís closer to home. Will be my first time to the ruahines so am pretty clueless and so open to suggestions.

IP Logged

bushwanderer
Forum Font

hunt, fish and dive

Reply #3 - May 27th, 2018 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
Not uncommon to have snow on the tops in June, and the northern area was 1080d last year, so find the boundaries of where that occurred. If it was me, I'd hunt mid level above the creeks, below the ridges that are North facing, moving until you find the sign. Alternatively, go to a spot with a few slips and clearings that will catch the sun.

IP Logged

dribbler

Reply #4 - May 27th, 2018 at 11:28pm
Print Post  
Havent got the latest access info but Kelly Knights is worth a look.Bayfield used to allow access over farm to the track start or it could be closed for feeding out.You could ask to walk from the house if that was the case.Anywhere else is 50/50 this time of year due to weather.The sun is where its at this time of year.

IP Logged

stagstalker
Donor Member

Work to go Hunting

Reply #5 - May 28th, 2018 at 8:04am
Print Post  
Winter hunting so find the shelter warmth on the northern facing slopes. If you find some nice clearings / slips that get sun then visit them when itís sunny! 👍🏻

Sako-Tikka-Howa-Lee Enfield-Franchi-Vortex-Leupold-Black Labrador
YouTube  
IP Logged

Seekem

Reply #6 - May 28th, 2018 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
Seen six stags all on the grass feeding up on the weekend down low ,so the edge is were you want to be , they are in places you never or seldom see them at the mo in groups of three or more ,get up there on first light look,look and look again they are motley brown at the mo ,very hard to see in low light stay well back ,good luck.

IP Logged

30late

Taihape where men are
men and sheep are nervous

Reply #7 - May 29th, 2018 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
All good advice there mate I think ,and Kelly Knights hut is probably as good as anywhere else ,it's an easy walk in along the sidle track to the hut.
The river will be a bit high just at present and a bit chilly too, but don't discount the open tops either you will just need to strike some perfect weather which again is not just at present LOL.
A bit further to drive but there are plenty of other huts to choose from down the Eastern side as well. Good luck

IP Logged

TLB
Forum Senior

Reply #8 - Jun 4th, 2018 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
It is still a good time to find a deer, they will be where the sun and feed is. Most of that western side is pretty good.
Just remember WARO is in full swing so anywhere that is outside the no fly zones will be copping a bit of pressure. Stags will be their main target so you should still bump into a few good eaters so on that note I would pay attention to areas that they will find it hard to get into or smaller clearings and slips where the animals have a chance to escape.
At this time of year the time of day means nothing, if there is grass they can pop out any time.

AIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards