Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Tikka T3X 7mm/08 magazine length (Read 287 times)
Rockyw
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Tikka T3X 7mm/08 magazine length
May 26th, 2018 at 10:31am
Print Post  
I have a Tikka T3x in 7 mm/08 Remington, and am developing some test loads for this rifle. I have currently started to load Barnes 120 grain TTSX bullets, which Barnes recommends to be 50,000 inch off the lands, but at that length the cartridge is too long to feed from the magazine. I also have Hornady 139 grain SST to load, which will also be way too long for the mag to load close to the lands. Will a long action magazine fit in my short action, and function and feed properly ?  Or is there another solution, apart from single feeding each round ?

IP Logged

J
Donor Member

Per Ardua

Re: Tikka T3X 7mm/08 magazine length
Reply #1 - May 26th, 2018 at 11:41am
Print Post  
A long a action mag will fit fine, but the bolt stop will be a short one and will limit the throw. You will need a long action bolt stop as well as a long magazine.

You will also be amazed how much they cost considering what they are. There are aftermarket bolt stops available (Dean Maisey sells them from memory), which may be cheaper than the factory ridiculously priced items.

IP Logged

J
Donor Member

Per Ardua

Reply #2 - May 26th, 2018 at 11:47am
Print Post  
......... or just try your SSTs at mag length and see how they go. My experience with Barnes is that they like 60 thou’ jump, but they may go well with a longer jump. I would personally steer clear of Barnes though as they need high velocity to work to their potential. They may leave the barrel at high velocity, but poor BC means they slow vey quickly. That will limit you to 250-300m if you want reliable expansion (which may not be a problem if you bush hunt). SSTs will go better.

IP Logged

seventenths
Forum Font

Reply #3 - May 26th, 2018 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
Try 120 gr Sierras or 120 gr Ballistic Tips

Either kills really well... we run 120 gr Sierras in a couple of 7mm-08's and they perform beautifully killing some big reds out to 300 mtrs which is the maximum we've shot deer out to so far.

Speak to BC as he's used both projectiles extensively.

“We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors. We borrow it from our children."

IP Logged

blair993

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #4 - Jun 24th, 2018 at 1:47pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards