Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Settling in New Zealand (Read 787 times)
Hughmitchell11
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Settling in New Zealand
May 25th, 2018 at 9:32am
Print Post  
Hi guys.
Firstly this is a great platform for sharing knowledge, it's been a great help on a recent adventure.
I'm an Australian moving over to Taupo in June, I do a lot of shooting in Australia, (mainly spotlighting). Earlier this year I came over and spent the best part of a week in the kiamanawas chasing sika(with no luck). Now that I've decided to move over in the pursuit of outdoors activities like hunting and fishing I'm just wondering if there is anyone of you guys that I could tag along with on a few hunts? The week in the bush showed me how much there is to learn and an experienced person to learn of would be great. I've got my own personal camping gear and most things needed for hunting. I plan on obtaining my licence and getting a rifle if possible at some stage. So if anybody is willing to put up with an aussie out in the bush I'd love to make contact with you and at some stage tag along and see what it's all about,
I'm willing to travel a fair bit as it will be a great chance to see more of the country too.

Thanks guys!

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Re: Settling in New Zealand
Reply #1 - May 25th, 2018 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
spotlighting is frowned upon big time over here now unless you are on private land WITH PERMISSION.
sika are cunning wee animals so dont feel bad they outsmarted you this time.
you picked a good spot for fishing and the deer are there you will just have to slow right down till you think you are going too slow then slow down some more to catch one of them out. a lot of guys hunt sika in dive booties or socks for ultimate stealth.
sorry Im too far away to help out,give us a yodel if you make it down this far and we will see what can be arranged.

IP Logged

Hughmitchell11
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #2 - May 26th, 2018 at 8:03am
Print Post  
Yes so I've been told, it is the most common type of shooting where I am from in Australia. they do appear to be very smart for sure, smarter then I anticipated! Thanks I will keep that in mind MickyDuck

IP Logged

Rugerman76
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #3 - May 26th, 2018 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
Touch base with me when youíre ready. Iím in Wellington but have family in Taupo who are hunters and I hunt myself ( when I can get away from work ).
Taupo is a great gateway to all types of outdoor activities and has access to many public hunting spots within an hour or 2 so perfect place to set yourself up. Where in Aussie are you from, I lived there for 24 years and my family in Taupo lived in WA for 3-4 years too ?

IP Logged

Hughmitchell11
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #4 - May 29th, 2018 at 5:04am
Print Post  
Thanks Rugerman76 I'll be sure to that would be great, yeah it's a great spot I'm keen to see a lot more of it. From west aussie a town called bridgetown

IP Logged

Rugerman76
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #5 - Jun 7th, 2018 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards