Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Swarovski Cls or Leica Geovids HDs? (Read 1144 times)
stagslayer

I Love cats but can,t
eat a whole one

Swarovski Cls or Leica Geovids HDs?
May 21st, 2018 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
Hi I,m looking at getting either a swarovski or leica 10x42 binoculars with the built in rangefinder, any recommendations on one over the other? just seeing what anyones opinions might be? might be a help to my decision making, any help greatly appreciated cheers

IP Logged

Deer Whisperer

Talk the deer to death

Re: Swarovski Cls or Leica Geovids HDs?
Reply #1 - May 22nd, 2018 at 9:31am
Print Post  
Don't waste your money...keep kit separate and save $$$$$$$$$$$...get same quality that way and more $$$$ to spend on hunting trips...

IP Logged

JoshC
Forum Font

Reply #2 - May 22nd, 2018 at 11:35am
Print Post  
Recently got some Leica HD-B Geovids, love them. Having ballistic data and rangefinder all in one is pretty bloody handy.

If you google reviews there is heaps of info online, reviews etc. Will help make your decision.

I sold my Swaro's and my rangefinder and only had to front up up with $1000 to buy the leicas, so was a relatively cheap upgrade for me.

IP Logged

Bos
Donor Member

Reply #3 - May 23rd, 2018 at 9:21am
Print Post  
JoshC wrote on May 22nd, 2018 at 11:35am:
Recently got some Leica HD-B Geovids, love them. Having ballistic data and rangefinder all in one is pretty bloody handy.

If you google reviews there is heaps of info online, reviews etc. Will help make your decision.

I sold my Swaro's and my rangefinder and only had to front up up with $1000 to buy the leicas, so was a relatively cheap upgrade for me.

Totally agree. Did the same thing and have never regretted it. Leica HD B's tare the second best bit of kit you will ever have for hunting
Wink

IP Logged

Deer Whisperer

Talk the deer to death

Reply #4 - May 23rd, 2018 at 9:47am
Print Post  
Everyone to their own...I see how once set up be easy to use and get very accurate day a for long shots...one thing I have never understood though is people carrying around a rangefinder with 1200+yards beam on animals...who is going to shoot one out past 600yards...I person all think son kit is too much and hunters are getting carried away with technology...too many NZ Hunter fanatics i rekon...by I bet the hunting distributors are lapping it all up!

IP Logged

Sneaka

I love short range hunting

Reply #5 - May 23rd, 2018 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
My mate has the Leica bino/ rangefinders. They are good but very big and heavy in my opinion. You will also pay a lot more for a combo unit than buying good quality separate units. I use Swaro binos and carry a small range finder. They are great and weigh and cost less. If you are shooting at a million km you will nearly always have time to pull your range finder off your belt. I don't and I still have time. I have been told that Swaros are more robust but can't comment. I don't like binos that are too big and heavy. Why pay extra for the privilege of having your neck strained? I guess I am a bit different from many hunters these days though. I actually hunt in the bush as well as the open  Wink Grin

IP Logged

Bos
Donor Member

Reply #6 - May 23rd, 2018 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
Secret to carrying heavy bino's is NOT to to use your neck to swing them off. Use your pack straps instead and that way you can carry them all day every day
Wink

IP Logged

JoshC
Forum Font

Reply #7 - May 25th, 2018 at 1:16pm
Print Post  
I always thought weight would be a negative with them. Buy a decent bino bivvy, I have a Sitka at the moment. Don't even notice they're there. And I'd say the weight is actually helpful with steadiness in wind or for glassing bigger country for long periods of time.

IP Logged

Loopold

7mm Rem Mag all the way

Reply #8 - May 29th, 2018 at 8:03am
Print Post  
I have brought a few things in my life that have given me buyers remorse but my Leica HDB's are not one of them. Brilliant bits of kit and take them everywhere except the bush hunting trips.
Very quick and easy once set up to range and shoot, very clear glass and build quality and fit the hands perfect.
Weight is not an issue as I use a harness and dont notice them.  The only issue for me are those stupid front lense covers that are easy to loose or dont stay in place (I now have them taped on)

IP Logged

ArmedTramper
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #9 - Jun 10th, 2018 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
Funny how people find things and what bugs them.  I lucked onto a set of affordable to me Leica Geovid 8x42R's.  They are superb, and I have seen more game in the last 3-4 years since I had them than in the 10 prior to that.

I carry mine round my neck, never given me a problem.  I'm as slim a 6' bloke as you ever did see (although with a bulge near the middle now I'm closer to 60 than 50).  I tuck them inside whatever my outer layer is and only use the eyepiece lens caps.

IP Logged

Gibson
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #10 - Aug 7th, 2018 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
I can't speak for the combo set ups.

I have been using a pair of Swaro EL 10X42 and a separate Leupold range finder for around 6-7 years now.

I based my decision on wanting to have a dedicated quality set of binos which will outlast me, and a set of electronics that I may want to upgrade over time as technology changes. May not be the right decision, but thats the call I made Smiley

I carry my binos in a badlands magnetic case, and I would highly recommend these cases to anyone with heavy or quality binos! Binos are always right there, and always being used.

If you go with the built in rangefinder option. My broad brush approach would be; firstly finding which glass works best for your eyes; and then reviews from those who have experience with the service from the two companies to look after any faults (whether it be range finder or the binos themselves).

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards