Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Howa M1500 + Mini floor plate - design (Read 904 times)
Manual Man
Forum Font

Learn from yesterday,
live for today...

Howa M1500 + Mini floor plate - design
May 20th, 2018 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
I brought a Howa Mini in 6.5 Grendel - neat little rifle but the fit, finish and design of the plastic components leaves a lot to be desired - chief among those is a floor plate to improve handling in the bush. I'm currently working through the process of designing a floorplate + bottom metal but don't currently have anything to base the design off other than pics on the internet. Does anyone have a full size M1500 floor plate laying in their parts box they wouldn't mind me borrowing for awhile?

While on the top of the Howa Mini a few points for those interested:

- You can cut the mag release down a bunch to make it harder to catch on things (if you've got a mini you've probably already done this). You can also add a spacer / epoxy between the mag release spring and plastic it presses against to increase the force needed to move it. I've sanded the release leaver down but haven't touched the spring yet... I'll chuck up pics if I get around to it.

- The stock 5 shot mag can be cut down to a 3 shot mag so it only hangs out about 10mm from the bottom of the stock ... details here: http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthread.php?14214-Howa-Mini-Magazine-Modificat...

- Looks like with a bit of a trim the 5 shot mag can be made to hold 6-7 rounds (or 4 if cut down as in the post above?)... given the price of the things I haven't been game enough to try but the parts look easy enough to make so I may yet have a go... watch this space.

Anyone have anything else to add?

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Re: Howa M1500 + Mini floor plate - design
Reply #1 - May 20th, 2018 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
Also has a good 10 shot mag available.

Lost mags are assured if you dont cut down the release.

IMO despite good reviews, the triggers are dissapointing. After market Timneys are available.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Manual Man
Forum Font

Learn from yesterday,
live for today...

Reply #2 - May 20th, 2018 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
headcase wrote on May 20th, 2018 at 10:07pm:
Also has a good 10 shot mag available.

Lost mags are assured if you dont cut down the release.

IMO despite good reviews, the triggers are dissapointing. After market Timneys are available.

My understanding is the 10 round and 5 round mags are the same size - the .223 mag fits 10 and the 7.62x39 / 6.5 Grendel fits 5. Undecided

A couple of other points... I head / read someone say the Hogue stocks have an aluminium rib down the center for rigidity, not sure if its true for the full sized actions but its not for the mini action stock. Although on the topic of the stock you can trim about 200gm off them with no ill effects apparently. I grabbed a spare stock off TM for cheap so will be having a play with it.

IP Logged

Mathias

A man can never have too
many guns!

Reply #3 - May 21st, 2018 at 7:57am
Print Post  
I'm pretty sure you will find that the Howa Mini has no facility to hold the rounds under the action, like feed lips machined on the underside. It is only machined to feed straight from a single stack magazine.
Stug on here, tried to make a mag for a fella once and I'm sure it didn't work out.

IP Logged

brian
Donor Member

why tiptoe thru life only
to die safely

Reply #4 - May 21st, 2018 at 8:58am
Print Post  
I've got a 1500 floorplate you can borrow

Never argue with an idiot anyone watching may not be able to tell the difference

IP Logged

stug
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #5 - May 21st, 2018 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
Yep it needs a magazine with feed lips as there are none on the action to use. Ideally also single stack or one that has a reasonable taper on it to bring the projectile close to the centre line so it will feed properly.

IP Logged

Sneaka

I love short range hunting

Reply #6 - May 21st, 2018 at 7:13pm
Print Post  
Howa Minis are a fantastic little action that then got given to accountants to finish off the design on. If the awful stock and magazine got upgraded they would sell out the door. Have worked through all of this. No feed lips on the action so needs the magazine. Do the design magazine mods as listed and it will at least be nicer to carry. I carry an extra five shot for working through bigger mobs. I had my trigger re done and it is good but still two stage. My Howa Mini 7.62x39 shoots a ragged hole at 100m with Hornady training ammo which incidentally kills deer well. Best way to improve this rifle is to get Stug to make you are carbon fibre stock for it. Makes a huge difference.

IP Logged

Manual Man
Forum Font

Learn from yesterday,
live for today...

Reply #7 - May 21st, 2018 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
In regards to the feed lips I was thinking if I'm replacing the bottom metal anyway I might as well design that into the top of the magazine well.

Here's the current look after a few hours mucking around in Fusion360:

Easy stuffs done but I need to shave some weight off the model (aluminium comes in at around 100gms compared to something like 40gms for the stock plastic one) and figure out the plate release + spring.

brian wrote on May 21st, 2018 at 8:58am:
I've got a 1500 floorplate you can borrow

Thanks Brian! PM incoming.

IP Logged

stug
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #8 - May 21st, 2018 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
The other thing to think about is how to re-charge the magazine. It is quite a small action and with the scope on top it will be quite fiddly getting rounds in. I think that is partly why they went for a detachable mag.
If you can 3D print a version in plastic first to iron out any probs that will save a lot of money.
You will be on to a winner if you can get it all sorted.

IP Logged

Manual Man
Forum Font

Learn from yesterday,
live for today...

Reply #9 - May 21st, 2018 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
stug wrote on May 21st, 2018 at 8:54pm:
The other thing to think about is how to re-charge the magazine. It is quite a small action and with the scope on top it will be quite fiddly getting rounds in. I think that is partly why they went for a detachable mag.
If you can 3D print a version in plastic first to iron out any probs that will save a lot of money.
You will be on to a winner if you can get it all sorted.

Yip arrived at the same conclusion an hour ago Cheesy. Near impossible to load the mag from the top with a scope but with the right design it should be easy enough to load from the bottom - closed bolt, invert rifle, drop 3 rounds in the right way around, close the floor plate and your good to go.

I've got a CNC router so will be using that but I've had it on my mind to build a good SLA 3d printer for awhile, too many hobbies and not enough time.

IP Logged

llewelyn
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #10 - Oct 15th, 2018 at 11:52am
Print Post  
hey @Manual Man did you ever get past the design stage?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards