Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic .223 or .22 bolt for goats and rabbits? (Read 1133 times)
poodle
Donor Member

meat is murder, tasty
tasty murder.

.223 or .22 bolt for goats and rabbits?
May 20th, 2018 at 10:36am
Print Post  
I am looking to get a bolt action mainly for rabbits but possibly goats as well. I know .22 is a bit small for goats and .223 might be a bit big for bunnies but can't afford 2 rifles. I also like the range of the .223 but not the costof the ammo, not much good for plinking.
If I did go for .223 what model would you recommend, not too pricey.

What are peoples thoughts...

IP Logged

EC
Forum Font

Re: .223 or .22 bolt for goats and rabbits?
Reply #1 - May 20th, 2018 at 11:12am
Print Post  
poodle wrote on May 20th, 2018 at 10:36am:
I am looking to get a bolt action mainly for rabbits but possibly goats as well. I know .22 is a bit small for goats and .223 might be a bit big for bunnies but can't afford 2 rifles. I also like the range of the .223 but not the costof the ammo, not much good for plinking.
If I did go for .223 what model would you recommend, not too pricey.

What are peoples thoughts...

Gidday, Don't think for one minute that a .223 is too big  fi bunnies cause it aint.
Tad more expensive ti run over a .22 fi sure but a hell of a lot better for sniping at long range,deadly in fact.
Reload yi own and have the best of two worlds. You'll end up smackin bunnies out to long ranges in no time and when you can consistently do that go look for a deers head  Smiley
Far too many rifle breeds nowadays,,how bigs yi pocket?
Most .223's shoot pretty damn well,good scope and put on a muffler if yi into that Grin
Everyone has or had a .22 at some stage of life,,they are limited to what they can and cant do,go with the .223.
Goats definitely do not like .223's,you may be well surprised just how proficient you become.
That's just my way of thinkin .
I'm sure someone else will arrive into camp shortly. Smiley

Wrinkles are the map of your soulful journey,,,you'd be lost without them,,

IP Logged

meathunter72
Donor Member

Reply #2 - May 20th, 2018 at 11:47am
Print Post  
A 223 will be a bit more expensive to run less so if you are able to reload.
However with a 22 you are limited to around 70 meters or so. With a 223 you can shoot out to 2-300 meters.doesnt make that much of a mess off the bunnies and if a deer, goat or pig pops its head up you have something good enough to smack one over.
You could probably find a cheap suppressed one on trade me without too much trouble.

Keep the wind in your face and your freezer full.

IP Logged

seventenths
Forum Font

Reply #3 - May 20th, 2018 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
Your going to have to weigh up on how much goat hunting your going to do as opposed to rabbit shooting.

Another option... have you thought about a .22 magnum

Has more grunt than the .22 LR but if your goingt o use a .22 LR or a .22 Magnum on Goats then you need to be close, pick your shots and be prepared to pass up on shots.

As mentioned .223 will kill well on bunnies, goats out to 300 mtrs and i see you come from Dunedin so you'll likely get into some wallaby country too.

“We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors. We borrow it from our children."

IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Reply #4 - May 20th, 2018 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
.223 will cover all your animals,from bunnies to deer.Most Doc estates don't allow a 22(rim fire)on them,223(center fire)all good. Wink

Shot a few deer,caugth some big trout and salmon

IP Logged

ashfishman
Donor Member

Always ready to learn

Reply #5 - May 20th, 2018 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
.223 is a better round for your needs.
Hornady training ammo is $1 per round so more expensive obviously.
.22 has limitations and if a merciful kill is part of your thinking then there's no option.
And head shot's with a .223 leave the meat available on either goat or rabbit and you have a calibre that, with practice, is perfectly capable of taking deer and is perfect for the Blueies and Greenstone population of Fallow.

IP Logged

Cigar

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #6 - May 20th, 2018 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
I generally agree with the 223 advice already given, though you say mainly for rabbits but possibly goats as well. It depends on how likely that Possibly is. If it's unlikely and you will be 99% rabbits a 22lr will suit better as it's cheaper and quieter. The 223 is definitely better for goats, and you would have to go with that option if hunting goats on public land anyway. A 22mag is not hugely better than a 22lr on goats, and ammo cost is probably not much cheaper than 223. I have all three and the 22mag gets the least use. My main places for rabbit shooting allow suppressed subsonic 22lr only, to avoid upsetting the neighbours. Where you will be rabbit shooting may affect your choice too.

IP Logged

poodle
Donor Member

meat is murder, tasty
tasty murder.

Reply #7 - May 20th, 2018 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
Hmmmm.....reloading is tempting but it seems expensive to get into... At this stage I am mostly rabbit hunting and still learning to shoot. The .223 does seem like a great utility round although I have heard LOTS of people say it is too small for fallows or pigs.
Are there any .223 makes that people recommend? I looked at a Howa but the mag a zine is just nasty.

IP Logged

Finnscout
Donor Member

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #8 - May 20th, 2018 at 2:28pm
Print Post  

There is a certain convenience with a .22lr, price of ammo is number one, fill your pockets and away you go, no need to worry about picking up brass if your relaoding for a centrefire.
A sporting rimfire is usually a nice lightweight rifle and is made for small game hunting and plinking.
Personally, I think if rabbits are your main quarry, you’d be far better off with the .22lr for both cost and enjoyment.
Rabbits and goats is a two rifle job I reckon.

IP Logged

poodle
Donor Member

meat is murder, tasty
tasty murder.

Reply #9 - May 20th, 2018 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
I think you might be right. I have a mate who has a .303 which should knock over anything that walks in nz... If I am going goat hunting that will do it.
It is pretty fun going out and shooting targets all day knowing you have spent 20 dollars on ammo not 100.

IP Logged

Deer Whisperer

Talk the deer to death

Reply #10 - May 20th, 2018 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
+1 Finnscout...get a Norinco bolt action and a 3-9 scope and your away laughing. Run some high velocity ammo and your having fun on  rabbits,possums and hares out to and with some practice beyond 100yards...cheap and does the job Wink

IP Logged

poodle
Donor Member

meat is murder, tasty
tasty murder.

Reply #11 - May 20th, 2018 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
I find the norincos a bit small for me (6'6") so I am looking at a cz455 or 452 (theres a new 452 threaded with scope for sale for about 900. Gun city are doing some pretty good packages on the 455 as well.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #12 - May 20th, 2018 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
Ive got a zastava in .223 and wont ever sell it as it has shot so many animals for me over the years.
.22mag is good but ammo nearly same price as the cheapest of .223
hornady 50 pack ammo is good stuff and doesnt cost the earth.
try a norinco again and slip on a recoil pad just for grins n giggles......you get a lot of rifle for your money
Ive got one in .22lr and another in 7.62x39mm
both reliable rifles.
another cheaper option is the single shot break open Bakails
whatever you go with suppress it as it makes life just so much nicer and your ears last so much longer.

IP Logged

X-POACHER-YEAH RYT
Donor Member

Have you ever hunted Middle
Earth?

Reply #13 - May 20th, 2018 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
Another, aspect is that some cockies don't like loud, rifles used on their properties. I think you should also consider a .22 with a moderator, for this reason, to say nothing about disturbing further chances of shots at game.  I also agree with previous posters, .22 is only a "goat rifle" in experienced hands and  at  very close ranges.  Wink

Get as close as you can, then get a bit closer.

IP Logged

EC
Forum Font

Reply #14 - May 20th, 2018 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
poodle wrote on May 20th, 2018 at 2:21pm:
Hmmmm.....reloading is tempting but it seems expensive to get into... At this stage I am mostly rabbit hunting and still learning to shoot. The .223 does seem like a great utility round although I have heard LOTS of people say it is too small for fallows or pigs.
Are there any .223 makes that people recommend? I looked at a Howa but the mag a zine is just nasty.

You should've mentioned at the beginning that you were (still learning) ti shoot.
After I read the bit about what LOTS of people have said about the .223 being too small on Fallow n pigs,,yeah well that sorta changes things a bit.Those LOTS of people really have no bloody idea but hey,,we wont go there tiday.
Ok so everything is obviously new to you eh?
A nice wee .22 is the obvious starters rifle in your case,, not being able ti afford a .223 plus reloading etc.
I can understand how things can become confusing when a heap of assorted guys are throwing ideas at yi Grin
Get good with a bolt rifle in .22 and when the time comes you will one day find yiself dropping  deer with head shots from a .223.....
Good luck eh.

Wrinkles are the map of your soulful journey,,,you'd be lost without them,,

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards