Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Kick in the guts (Read 1455 times)
Loudy
Just Joined

Cut em, cut em!!!

Kick in the guts
May 19th, 2018 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
Well that was a bit of a kick in the guts today, finally plucked up the courage to go do a bit of door knocking around the region.
After doing a bit scouting out over the last few days, I had a few places I found that looked promising. Knocked on a total of 7 doors and got 7 "Sorry no's" (A couple were not that polite). Most doors were closed very quickly and only one bloke was nice enough to have a bit of a chat and point me in a couple directions with no luck.
And before you ask, no I'm not a dodgy looking bugger, I dressed and spoke respectfully even after being turned down.

Did this a few years back in another area with much more luck, is anyone else finding getting access to hunting areas more and more difficult and it's more about who you know?

Anyway got back in time to sneak out to some public land where I picked up a nice drake last night with no luck. Rather be out there than sitting on the couch Wink

IP Logged

boomstick.
Donor Member

born to hunt, forced 2
work

Re: Kick in the guts
Reply #1 - May 19th, 2018 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
Yip it can be difficult to get access to private property to hunt .. this M Bovis disease hanging around at the moment isnt helping either.. any farm land I go on I have to prove I have cleaned my vehicle and some of my gear before entering, by no means do I want to be spreading the stuff but its making things harder for the recreational hunter..

fishing sure beats working,, i love animals,they're delicious

IP Logged

HUNTEE

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #2 - May 20th, 2018 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
i find the same   a lot is to do with poachers and idiots giving us a bad name Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink

IP Logged

Thousandhills
Just Joined

Reply #3 - May 20th, 2018 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
Were you approaching owners of farmland?
These people will probably fall into 2 groups:
The 1st group either shoot themselves or have friends or family that shoot on their property. They are very unlikely to allow a stranger access as well.
The 2nd group of landowners don't shoot or have family or friends that shoot. But they will probably feel that Fish and Game have been kicking them in the guts for the last 15 years.

An analogy for them agreeing to let you shoot their property would you agreeing to a request by a vegan member of PETA to accompany you on your next hunt🙄
Do you have a strategy when you go door knocking to convince them that you aren't  a farmer hater?

IP Logged

matauri
Forum Senior

My son is not better at
hunting than me

Reply #4 - May 20th, 2018 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
A lot of blame for this lies squarely at the feet of Fish & Game. If you constantly put the boot into the people you depend on for access don't be surprised when you get the F### O## speach. Angry Angry

Phew!!

IP Logged

stagstalker
Donor Member

Work to go Hunting

Reply #5 - May 20th, 2018 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
What does fish and game do to annoy farmers?

Sako-Tikka-Howa-Lee Enfield-Franchi-Vortex-Leupold-Black Labrador
YouTube  
IP Logged

Loudy
Just Joined

Cut em, cut em!!!

Reply #6 - May 21st, 2018 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
Thousandhills wrote on May 20th, 2018 at 5:56pm:
Were you approaching owners of farmland?
These people will probably fall into 2 groups:
The 1st group either shoot themselves or have friends or family that shoot on their property. They are very unlikely to allow a stranger access as well.
The 2nd group of landowners don't shoot or have family or friends that shoot. But they will probably feel that Fish and Game have been kicking them in the guts for the last 15 years.

An analogy for them agreeing to let you shoot their property would you agreeing to a request by a vegan member of PETA to accompany you on your next hunt🙄
Do you have a strategy when you go door knocking to convince them that you aren't a farmer hater?

No real strategy, just try to be polite and no look too shabby dress wise.

IP Logged

mallardbuster
Forum Font

Bad day hunting beats
a good day working

Reply #7 - May 21st, 2018 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
I know the feeling loudy,same has been happening to me,I think there are to many nature nuts running farms, Smiley Smiley,I respect its there land and they have the right to say no,but some of them dont have to be rude or make up piss poor excuses,I say keep trying cos as someone might surprise you and say yes,I try and sweeten the deal with a bottle of wine or box of beer,Boomstick as for the M. bovis its too late,its all over the country,gate has been left open for a while now  Wink Wink

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #8 - May 21st, 2018 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
stagstalker wrote on May 20th, 2018 at 8:00pm:
What does fish and game do to annoy farmers?

They just get sick of people with ideas coming onto their property telling them what to do , when the have $30000 worth of unpaid bills due on the 20th..  Cheesy

We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.
IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #9 - May 21st, 2018 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
matauri wrote on May 20th, 2018 at 7:51pm:
A lot of blame for this lies squarely at the feet of Fish & Game. If you constantly put the boot into the people you depend on for access don't be surprised when you get the F### O## speach. Angry Angry

No the blame lies 100% at the feet of the polluters.

F and G have a stautory obligation to protect the rights of fish and game stakehoders. Without the polluters there would be no problems.  I have 4 mates that are dairy farmers and i can tell you that they get real pissed off when they see this sort of rubbish..

http://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/96788275/councils-issue-nearly-twice-as-many-...

Whos the problem F and G or the polluter ?

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #10 - May 21st, 2018 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
Its tough Loudy because the pressure has grown over the years and a lot of people they let on turn out to do stuff they dont like.  Kind of turns them off. Its easier to just say no.

They are also pretty tired, and often poorish , and just cant be bothered really, because tomorrow is another day and the work needs done.

Its only of late Ive come to appreciate how many calls they get, and visits they get with people wanting something, and when they  let you on, you want something for your mates too.

All you can do is introduce yourself respectfully and say your sorry to disturb them, but you've spent the last three week asking for a place to learn to shoot, or let the kids shoot a duck, or something similar. Not too much, and don't tell them your HERE and going to solve all their problems for them.. Stay humble, respectful and smile. You probably do this already.. but keep it up.

Remember, the truth is always a bonus because these blokes have heard it all before and have hard wired bullshit detectors on the tips of their ears.  Smiley

We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.
IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #11 - May 21st, 2018 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
Hi Loudy,

I also a few years back went around a few farms asking to hunt paddock ducks and told sorry no, i never got a really rude reply. Eventually i got a yes. It is the farmers right, move on and keep asking. Someday you will get a yes.

IP Logged

HUNTEE

Reply #12 - May 21st, 2018 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
its good fish and game are stopping polluters etc take a look at our rivers etc factories  farms developements are all contributing to this look at resource consents when they come up for renewal what there discharges are into our rivers we need fish and game

IP Logged

Loudy
Just Joined

Cut em, cut em!!!

Reply #13 - May 21st, 2018 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
Yeah will def keep on trying, will have to get into though as this season in the waikato is too short. Need to make an earlier start to it next year.

IP Logged

noelfj
Forum Font

Reply #14 - May 22nd, 2018 at 8:55am
Print Post  
I knocked on the door, the farmer looked upon a well dressed gentleman, "may I", I said, "please, be allowed to have an opportunity to shoot ducks on your farm", "yes he said, you may have the 9am to 11am slot on the fourth paddock", "Thank you I said. How many duck are about" said I, "six he said", "how many shooters" I said, "12" he said.
In Australia, when I was there, a person had to have written permission to hunt and shoot on at least one property in order to get a firearms license, and if I remember correctly the farm had to qualify in some manner to prove you did in fact have a viable place to shoot. I searched under permission to shoot on farms and sure enough up popped a number, $35 please, problem solved.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards