Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic new wsm 300 goes hunting (Read 1265 times)
264Magic
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

new wsm 300 goes hunting
May 18th, 2018 at 10:03am
Print Post  
just dying to try it so went into the north hunters and saw that stag from two weeks ago,,out at 300+yrds
i had some 150 grns in the mag but put one 180 into the breech and did my best as the sun was low and at 2.30 oclock,,right into my eye just about and as i was shooting across a steep valley i couldnt shift position to allow for a better sight
i did eventually hit him and dropped across the gorge to sneek up to his last position and have a wallaby come hopping down the hill thru the scrub and stop 5 metres away hiding under some large trees/rubbish,,the scope was still set on 12 so no joy there,,ended up shooting him off the hip and dropping the bugger on the spot
next thing the bushes above me shake a bit and i know that the stag is either tangled up or making his escape
stalked in to see blood but no cigar
anyway it was getting dark so i dropped my pack so i could sneek in without making scratching noises and then the fun  began
being steep it wasnt too bad and after a bit he made a mistake of trying to go under a tree and had lost his footing n slid down the face to get tangled up in some lawyer,i fired a shot at his shoulder and then another into his throat just to make sure that he didnt go anywhere as it was getting awful dark by then
back to the pack and returned,,took some pics with the cphone and butchered him up and out with the torck to begin the exhausting work of crossing the gorge and up the other steep side,,now my torch was a wee bit used on the battery department but i did have the phone torch to fall back on so no worries there
out at the car i turned on the phone to send a pic to my mate dave who had the problem of not being able to pin point him a couple of weeks ago that i wrote about in the hunting with rumpy story,,the effing phone was dead as,,bloody lucky there
will get rumpy to post pic of said stag

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

Cigar

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Re: new wsm 300 goes hunting
Reply #1 - May 18th, 2018 at 1:10pm
Print Post  
Nice one Les, so what was the range of the final kill shot? Just within 300wsm limits?  Wink
I got a couple of fallow on Tuesday with the Win M94 30-30 I had at Marokopa, though I have a scope on it now as my eyes are getting older   Shocked

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #2 - May 18th, 2018 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
Grin Grin Grin Grin good to hear its been blooded Mate.

IP Logged

Rumpy
Donor Member

Wishing I was out in the
hills.

Reply #3 - May 18th, 2018 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
And a nice buck it is. Nice work mate.

.270 WIN AWESOME SINCE 1925 "REMEMBER THE 6 P's" POOR PREPARATION PROVIDES PISS POOR PERFORMANCE

IP Logged

wirehair

Looking for the next hunt

Reply #4 - May 19th, 2018 at 6:01am
Print Post  
Cool

It happens with a GWP

IP Logged

264Magic
Donor Member

Reply #5 - May 19th, 2018 at 10:34am
Print Post  
Cigar wrote on May 18th, 2018 at 1:10pm:
Nice one Les, so what was the range of the final kill shot? Just within 300wsm limits? Wink
I got a couple of fallow on Tuesday with the Win M94 30-30 I had at Marokopa, though I have a scope on it now as my eyes are getting older Shocked

ill give you a couple of grand and swap you 10 yrs Grin Grin
just over 300yrds

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

Cigar

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #6 - May 20th, 2018 at 10:51am
Print Post  
264Magic wrote on May 19th, 2018 at 10:34am:
Cigar wrote on May 18th, 2018 at 1:10pm:
Nice one Les, so what was the range of the final kill shot? Just within 300wsm limits? Wink
I got a couple of fallow on Tuesday with the Win M94 30-30 I had at Marokopa, though I have a scope on it now as my eyes are getting older Shocked

ill give you a couple of grand and swap you 10 yrs Grin Grin
just over 300yrds

Jeez, I can't afford ten years, I couldn't keep up with you thru the bush twenty years ago, and I bet I've slowed down more than you since then  Grin

IP Logged

Rumpy
Donor Member

Wishing I was out in the
hills.

Reply #7 - May 20th, 2018 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
I don't think Les has slowed down at all, If he has he must have ran through the bush in the past. I would rate his speed now as " Just comfortable" for the most part.  Grin Grin Grin

.270 WIN AWESOME SINCE 1925 "REMEMBER THE 6 P's" POOR PREPARATION PROVIDES PISS POOR PERFORMANCE

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #8 - May 20th, 2018 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
Grin Grinjust comfortable if his companions are on a horse more like it...... the old bugga is a machine I tell ya Wink

IP Logged

wirehair

Looking for the next hunt

Reply #9 - May 21st, 2018 at 5:59am
Print Post  
Micky Duck wrote on May 20th, 2018 at 4:29pm:
Grin Grinjust comfortable if his companions are on a horse more like it...... the old bugga is a machine I tell ya Wink

Grin

It happens with a GWP

IP Logged

Tom N
Donor Member

Reply #10 - May 21st, 2018 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
Top stuff Les, good to hear the new GAT is doing the job mate. Sounds like you needed to take the batteries out of the sun so you could see!  Grin Grin Grin

A man never stands as tall as when he kneels to help a child.

IP Logged

Canadian Mulie

Huntin' the Prairies

Reply #11 - Jun 5th, 2018 at 2:56pm
Print Post  
  Cool nice buck!

I can also say he is a machine, unbelievable endurance!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards