Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Watching vs shooting (Read 523 times)
mallardbuster
Forum Font

Bad day hunting beats
a good day working

Watching vs shooting
May 16th, 2018 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
This sounds a different,Myself and brother decided go out to pond this morning to shoot the pond since opening,feeder has still being going off in the morning,we were all set by 7,first pair arrived to dark,then another 4 came in still to dark,so we decided to sit and watch what happens,it was very intereysting there wasn’t much calling from the real ducks and some birds would circle pond half dozen times before coming in,so it makes me wonder if we over call some times?we left birds alone for another morning,we may have just learnt something,we left about 9.30 there were 47 birds on the pond, Wink Smiley,has anyone else notice this?

IP Logged

willy2

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Re: Watching vs shooting
Reply #1 - May 16th, 2018 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
that would be right  , windy days maybe different

IP Logged

fletty
Forum Senior

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #2 - May 16th, 2018 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
Often will stop calling to see if it makes a difference, very easy to over call, if one calls Ill call back but not over do it.

IP Logged

ReelLuckyBouy

Reply #3 - May 16th, 2018 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
Yip, I think we over call. Was at a irrigation pond tonight and set up on my own before the other shooters got there. Pushed about a 100 ducks off setting up and they were happy to come back without any calling over the next  20-40 minutes.

IP Logged

Kahurangi

Reply #4 - May 16th, 2018 at 9:49pm
Print Post  
Watch some of the videos on You Tube etc and most are blowing their callers way too much. They will also stop a call halfway through blowing. It is a real pleasure to be with someone who only gives a few of the correct calls and the birds are flocking in. My uncle Pete taught me this way back in the 70's. The hello and come back calls are the only ones i ever use. Have had mates over the years blow that much on opening day that they couldn't blow on the Sunday as their cheeks were too sore. Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards