Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Acquired a Sako L461 to go with my A1 (Read 404 times)
seventenths
Forum Font

Acquired a Sako L461 to go with my A1
May 13th, 2018 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
Well I thought I'd post up a few photos of a few firearms which a few people would be keen to see photos of.

I have my good mate Maurice to blame who bought a late model Sako A1 .223 a few years back which I was fortunate enough to get to use.

I had it in my possession for a short period of time where I did the load development for it with 63 gr Sierras and it shot beautifully.

When you get a rifle like that in your possession you realise how stunning the actions are, the fact it holds seven rounds in the internal magazine, the balance of the rifle though with that rifle it had the later model stock which is more suited for right handed shooters than us lefties but I still enjoyed carrying that rifle around where I shot a couple of goats and christened it on a sika hind.

Then I met a certain hard cased forum member who's been nothing but shits and giggles and a negative influence on my bank account!

Through him I really got to appreciate the Sako vixens as he has a few on hand so his addiction has become contagious so I knew I had to get one for myself though I was always wanting to get a L461 for a project build and re barrel it into a 6x45 but when my mate pointed out a certain A1 on trade me at an extremely good price I clicked on the buy now and got that rifle and haven't looked back.

http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1500581010

The thing I love with that rifle is again the smooth action, internal magazine and even though it has the earlier model right hand stock, it still fits me very well and is just a joy to hold, carry and shoot.

There's something stunning about shooting a .222 even though I have a .223 which I've used a lot, the .222 just feels different when shooting it even though there's bugger all difference.

So back to the story... Well... I recently came across a L461 .222 for sale which my mate here on the forum also pointed out to me and even though I thought I could ignore it... denile.

When I looked a the A1 I have I just knew I had to get it a friend because if you own a A1 then you need a L461 and I know some day when I die my kids will likely fight over the A1 so I figured or at least justified to myself they can now have one each... that's what I'll tell the wife anyway if she ever finds out.  Embarrassed Embarrassed Undecided Undecided Cry Cry

It arrived dirty so the first thing was to strip it bare, under the action in the stock and around the trigger mechanism was still all the packing grease, remnants of some old leaves from trips away so after a good scrubbing, coating of oil in every nook and cranny it came out as the photos show.

With old rifles like this you often wonder the story of where it's been, adventures had in the hills, the joy its bought.

It's yet to be shot so I'm not sure how it will shoot but like my A1 I'm hoping for good accuracy.

So at the moment it sits in the safe next to its A1 brother and I'll get her out in the next week to put a few rounds through it's barrel to see how she goes. It's certainly not going to be no safe queen so there will be some hunting to be had and the boys will get to use them extensively.

The other rifle I have is a Sako 85 .222 but it's not mine!

It's been given to me to look after while its owner is working overseas for the next few years so I get to look after it until his return.

It's quite nice to compare the early Sako's to modern day Sako's and while the modern day rifles are well made I prefer hands down the earlier vixen's.

“We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors. We borrow it from our children."

IP Logged

Finnscout
Donor Member

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Re: Acquired a Sako L461 to go with my A1
Reply #1 - May 13th, 2018 at 10:28pm
Print Post  

Nice rifles seventenths, being a Sako tragic myself, I like the fact you’ve used the period Sako rings as well 👍
I noticed you were looking for front and rear sights for the AI ?
The rear sight to suit was supplied to Sako by ‘Williams’ in the US.
They are still available and I’ve heard of others buying direct.

Cheers

IP Logged

Max
Donor Member

Reply #2 - May 13th, 2018 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
Very nice.......and seeing them side-by-side reinforces my view that the checkering on the later models ( i.e. in this case the 85) somehow just doesn't look right.....imo.

IP Logged

seventenths
Forum Font

Reply #3 - May 13th, 2018 at 11:48pm
Print Post  
Finnscout... When I bought the A1 it came with the mounts, the scope of a Leupold VXII 2-7 which I've had for many, many years and has served me well.

The L461 came with original mounts and Leupold 4X scope

I'll check out that website you mention.

Max... I agree.. the chequering on the 85 reminds me of chequering on Tikkas not that I have anything bad to say about Tikkas as I own a few but even though Tikkas and Sako's are made by the same company I would expect a bit of difference between both

“We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors. We borrow it from our children."

IP Logged

Mathias

A man can never have too
many guns!

Reply #4 - May 14th, 2018 at 10:57am
Print Post  
Nice combo sevntenths  Cool The 461 is a really nice action with the cylindrical shroud.

IP Logged

Pete82
Donor Member

Aren't we lucky?

Reply #5 - May 17th, 2018 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
Aaaah, nothing can beat good old wood and blued metal...  Cool

Brno ZKK 600 in .270

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #6 - May 17th, 2018 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
The fotos seem to depict staining on the stocks from drooling. Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards