Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Seating Depth (Read 458 times)
JaSa

Know your (rifles) limits

Seating Depth
May 13th, 2018 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
Hi guys,

I'm pretty new to reloading and experimenting with the 53gr V-Max at the moment as a varmint load that will replace the Winchester 55gr BST factory ammo I used so far.
After the great and quick success I had, developing a load for the Barnes 55gr TTSX I got a bit frustrated with the V-Max to be honest. None of the groups from 24-26gr were great and showed any potential to start playing around with different seating depth. O.A.L for the 53gr V-Max is 1.998 in my rifle and it usually likes a 0.100 jump so that's where I started (1.898) but as I said, the groups were pretty average:

So today I started again with 25.5gr and 26.0gr with different seating depth. On farm I put down my little blanket in the wet grass, tried to get comfortable and failed miserably but carried on anyway  - and see what happened!

O.A.L 1.850 (or a 0.148 jump) seems to be the sweet sport for both 25.5gr and 26gr. So the next step will be to load up another 4 shots each and try them at 200m which will give me a wider spread and will hopefully reveal, which load (25.5gr/26.0gr @ 1.850) is more accurate.

I guess the reason for me posting this is to make other newbies like me aware of that even if the initial groupings are not great, it pays to be persistent and don't give up. Keep playing around and you will most likely find a load your rifle likes.

Cheers,
JaSa

IP Logged

Rugersst
Forum Font

Victory is mine...

Re: Seating Depth
Reply #1 - May 13th, 2018 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
Both T3 1/8" .223's I have seem to like 20thou with anything bar 75gr Amax gotta jam them suckers and single feed.
Don't no what powder you running but potential to go a touch hotter with 2206h, both the T3s seem to like that also.

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Seating Depth
Reply #2 - May 14th, 2018 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
75gr using long Aussie mag. No problems.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards