Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic to pluck or skin??? (Read 1333 times)
gonehuntin
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: to pluck or skin???
Reply #15 - Jun 10th, 2018 at 11:47am
Print Post  
fat ninja wrote on Jun 10th, 2018 at 10:28am:
If I running traps Id skin the good ones, Id check for bits of fur that have come out,windows etc and pluck the rest, also Id talk to your buyer and see what they want they may want certain type,size of skin, this will help you get more money off your line

yea skin buyer showed me what to look for but easiest way for me to tell is just to skin the things and look on the inside, havent done enough yet to get an idea what theyre like from lookin at them. 
moved to a new area about 5km from where I was, 70traps out yday and not 1 stinkn possum, was getn 50-80 % catch rate at last place so I guess the 1080 last year done its job, was interestn as the birdlife was also non existant but deer plentiful

IP Logged

fat ninja

Reply #16 - Jun 10th, 2018 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
Yea it comes time, Ive found big females usually are good to skin, Id pluck all the old red neck bucks and small stuff, anything else is a case by case basis, do talk to your buyer and get an idea of what size/colour skins he after and skin those one, you can always slipe them afterwards

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

Reply #17 - Jun 10th, 2018 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
yea currently slipe everything. I skin most trapped ones as well because I get terrible hand cramps handplucking (too many years milking cows  Cry )   Fat ninja have you used the portable pluckers before?  still yet to find anyone thats used 1 to get an idea if theyre worthwhile, just going off the lack of users me thinks they are no good?

IP Logged

fat ninja

Reply #18 - Jun 10th, 2018 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
Na I havent if your on Facebook I can point to a couple of pages that has them pop up every now and then a few people use them even have a look on YouTube there a few videos on there

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards