Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Macpac raincoat (Read 620 times)
hunter08

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Macpac raincoat
May 13th, 2018 at 8:03am
Print Post  
My raincoat doesn't breath that use for hunting & I end up just as wet in 1/2hr climbing hill I want a raincoat long enough to cover rugby shorts so looking at these two from macpac the Resolution AP Rain Jacket Vp & Copland Rain Jacket do these jackets breath when climbing hills or will your terms be socking wet I only where a thermal top under jacket so I don't get hot when climbing or is there other jackets that worth a look thanks

IP Logged

creed
Donor Member

Searching wild horizons
with pack & rifle

Re: Macpac raincoat
Reply #1 - May 13th, 2018 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
I've used a Resolution in the past, mainly for its length as you mention.

I reckon if you're climbing in the rain - some exertion - most coats will not cope quickly enough with the heat build up inside and you will get damp with any jacket (despite what gets said as 'marketing')
Pit zips help on jackets for this reason.

I now reckon its better to have a lighter jacket, wear minimal clothes underneath in the situation you mention and be ready with some extra layers on hand to slip on when you stop for a break. Layering is a better way to go ie. light layers added on or taken off to regulate heat and moisture management. Much better IMO than adding in one bulky coat (no matter the brand/price/fabric) and expecting the whole system to work.
2c

Hunting adventures - they're out there!
GTalk  
IP Logged

ashfishman
Donor Member

Always ready to learn

Reply #2 - May 14th, 2018 at 10:39am
Print Post  
Couldn't agree more.
There's not a jacket on the planet that can handle the sweat I put out on a hard climb, and all the marketing in the world for the "Most advanced fabric ever designed"  keeps me dry, industry awards or not.
On the plus side being cold and wet is a massive incentive to keep climbing.
Layers are the go, and a change of next to the skin layer makes sense and works.
I carry my dry clothing in a waterproof, lightweight roll top bag.   Serves as emergency clothing if I'm caught out too.
The same waterproof bag carries batteries of a suitable size for the torch etc and my first aid kit too, plus spare thick as socks, a beanie and balaclava and a pair of polyprop gloves.

IP Logged

Pro-active

It is not the mountain
we conquer, but ourselves.

Reply #3 - May 14th, 2018 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
A raincoat struggles to breath in the wet, because you're expecting it to expel moisture into an already wet environment (the outside). It has to work against the humidity gradient.

Try a coat with armpit zips that you can open. You might even wind up wearing it as a cape, with your arms thru the armpit holes ?.

"You've got to go out on a limb sometimes because that's where the fruit is."

IP Logged

Krico
Forum Font

Reply #4 - May 18th, 2018 at 10:49pm
Print Post  
Like Creed I have a Resolution. Love the length but it's no good climbing and expecting to stay dry. Sweat too much. It also leaks on shoulders in rain wearing a pack. Good coats but have limitations. I found a light wind-proof outer shell and light Merino base layer ideal and a dry intermediate layer and beanie when taking a break. The
Resolution is good when sitting watching and no heavy sweating likely.

IP Logged

Tom N
Donor Member

Reply #5 - May 21st, 2018 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
Pro-active wrote on May 14th, 2018 at 7:40pm:
A raincoat struggles to breath in the wet, because you're expecting it to expel moisture into an already wet environment (the outside). It has to work against the humidity gradient.

Try a coat with armpit zips that you can open. You might even wind up wearing it as a cape, with your arms thru the armpit holes ?.

I'd agree with this, this is the reason I've used mountaineering outer shells for the past few years, no kiwi "fleece type" jacket will work, you need the pit zips to dump heat as fast as you can.

I've recently bought a First Lite Seak Storm Tight Jacket, it's a machine, breathes well, and keeps you dry, even in Fiordland.

Plenty of brands out there now, Kuiu, Outdoor Research, Arcteyrx, First Lite, Marmot, heaps to choose from, just not many that are long, most of them are made to be worn with over pants.

One day the "kiwi" brands will catch up with design and material used. Until then, buy once, cry once applies.

Cheers,
Tom

A man never stands as tall as when he kneels to help a child.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards