Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Speying a bitch (Read 1103 times)
Sneaka

I love short range hunting

Speying a bitch
May 9th, 2018 at 7:51am
Print Post  
I have a promising young bitch who is shaping up well. I am considering getting her speyed after her first heat to help make life simple. I do not wish to breed from her, but am wanting to know if anyone here knows of any cases where speyed bitches lose their hunting drive. I do not mind if it helps steady her down (indicating) but do not want her to lose interest in deer/ goats. I have been told speyed bitches can get a bit lazy but given she will be working beside me would that be an issue? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Re: Speying a bitch
Reply #1 - May 9th, 2018 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
Sneaka, I dont rely know, but my thoughts..  firstly a young fit, not overfed dog with drive will need a lot more than being speyed to loose its drive.  A lot of people overfeed their dog,, depending on brand of dog.. lots of dogs are always telling you ''feed me"". That will kill drive if they get fat. A speyed dog may get fatter faster after being speyed. Thats a hormonal thing, but if you keep your dogs portions and feeding in line with the amount of exercise and motivation it gets, it will always want to hunt.

A lean and not illtreated dog wants to hunt if given the oppurtunity.  By lean I dont mean starve it.. thats cruel and counterproductive. I just mean watch its lines and feed it accordingly.

If your dog has hunt drive now, it wont loose it with being speyed, if you treat it right after the op.

Thats  my thinking anyway.

the things that kill drive are overfeeding, being forced to do things it does not understand, eg too high expectations in training (pressure), sickness, poor handling and cruelty.

Doesnt sound like your dog is in that category..  Smiley

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

trusty222
Donor Member

"HOT BARRELS AND SAGGING
TAIL LINES"

Reply #2 - May 9th, 2018 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
has been discussed  a few times previously, found by use of the search function

speyed OR spayed

heres a few, hope some help

http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1286530141/0

http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1277471760/0

http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1327092092/0

http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1460499995/0

I have never had a bitch spayed, I would if there where health issues caused by their heat, but if fit and  healthy I would just manage the girls appropriately (24 yrs of having bitches and not 1 unplanned litter (touch wood for the future Wink).

hot barrels

DOG TRAINING "GET IT RIGHT THE 1ST TIME & TRAIN FOR SUCCESS"
WWW.BCL.KIWI
IP Logged

Maddoghunter
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #3 - May 9th, 2018 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
Best finder I’ve ever hunted with was a speyed bitch.
Definitely didn’t lack hunting drive.

IP Logged

Sneaka

I love short range hunting

Reply #4 - May 10th, 2018 at 6:52am
Print Post  
Thanks for the thoughts and links folks. My dogs are definitely well fed but not overfed. Can manage on heat bitches well but my one dog is more of an issue. He turns himself inside out for three weeks whenever a bitch is on. I want him kept entire so am really just thinking about keeping life simpler if I never intend to breed from the bitch. If I am away working, having a bitch on heat in the mix is a pain for anyone caring for the stay behinds.

Cheers  Wink

IP Logged

Tinfish
Donor Member

Reply #5 - May 10th, 2018 at 10:58am
Print Post  
I had my bitch speyed at 6 years old as i no longer want to breed with a bitch that old and dont want the associated problems that go with a bitch in season.
Her drive has not diminished at all.
One comment i will make on speying young bitches is that the first season they have is usually only a light one and would wait until after their second proper season before speying to allow them to fully mature.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards