Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Hanamahihi Hut / Urewera (Read 777 times)
Old School

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Hanamahihi Hut / Urewera
May 8th, 2018 at 9:59am
Print Post  
Has anyone hunted this area ????
Looks like some nice country going by the aerial maps.
Any info would be great .
Thanks

IP Logged

Viking
Forum Font

Life is for living--not
for worrying

Re: Hanamahihi Hut / Urewera
Reply #1 - May 8th, 2018 at 11:32am
Print Post  
There's a lot of hunting round Hanamahihi, but there's also a lot of "Maori' land there too, the big flats and terraces on both sides of the river upstream of the hut as I understand it are all "private land". The Manaohau valley comes out right next to the hut and there's some good hunting up there, another hut 2.5 hrs up there, Rusa all through there, and some good pig hunting but tends to be a bit seasonal, doesn't get hunted as much as it used to.
I believe they've put the stoppers on landing helicopters at the Hanamahihi hut even though it's "in the park". It's a magic place, one of my favourite places in the park, we used to come up on the horses from the Ruatoki end, a long way but a great ride! Unfortunately DOC are super septic about horses now!! It pays to know someone down there to get the ok to go up the river now, but it's not impossible!! Wink

IP Logged

Viking
Forum Font

Life is for living--not
for worrying

Reply #2 - May 8th, 2018 at 11:39am
Print Post  
I forgot to add--- there's heaps of that Ongaonga nettle there!!!, mainly in the creeks. Also last time we were there, resident rat population needed attending to, we always take some rat poison to any of those huts in there!!

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #3 - May 8th, 2018 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
Haven't been there for a long time - but it used to be good hunting in there.

Was there with my brother in law many years ago when Rex Forrester arrived with an American chap and we were told to 'f**k off' as it was a private hut.
And we ended up doing exactly that - as that man talked so much shit we had no option but to get out of there.

He's gone now - so you should find it more relaxing in there.

IP Logged

dodgy
Forum Font

.308 win all the way.

Reply #4 - May 8th, 2018 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
u can land up above the flats by swingbridge by helicopter but not at hut. has heaps of locals  on horses with dogs come thru hunting.

IP Logged

Maddoghunter
Donor Member

Reply #5 - May 8th, 2018 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
If you buy Paul Micheal’s book “hunting lucky” he talks about that area a lot.

IP Logged

Penguinbait

Reply #6 - May 9th, 2018 at 8:09am
Print Post  
The Hanamahihi clearings are private land and you need permission to hunt there, but the Tuhoe/DOC land around the private land is good hunting.  There are pockets of private land all through the Ureweras, belonging to people who didn't want it to be a part of the original 1905? Act that parliament said would preserve it for Tuhoe, but which was actually used a short time later to confiscate it all as a park.  Good for some people perhaps but very bad and unfair for Tuhoe.  Anyway - in my eperience if you ask permission your chances are good, the people down there are very hospitable.

IP Logged

264Magic
Donor Member

Reply #7 - May 9th, 2018 at 10:29am
Print Post  
Viking wrote on May 8th, 2018 at 11:32am:
There's a lot of hunting round Hanamahihi, but there's also a lot of "Maori' land there too, the big flats and terraces on both sides of the river upstream of the hut as I understand it are all "private land". The Manaohau valley comes out right next to the hut and there's some good hunting up there, another hut 2.5 hrs up there, Rusa all through there, and some good pig hunting but tends to be a bit seasonal, doesn't get hunted as much as it used to.
I believe they've put the stoppers on landing helicopters at the Hanamahihi hut even though it's "in the park". It's a magic place, one of my favourite places in the park, we used to come up on the horses from the Ruatoki end, a long way but a great ride! Unfortunately DOC are super septic about horses now!! It pays to know someone down there to get the ok to go up the river now, but it's not impossible!! Wink

explains it all

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards