Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Horseback (Read 1092 times)
Wild South

Wild South

Horseback
May 8th, 2018 at 7:03am
Print Post  
Hi all,

Wondering if many of you on here get around on horseback, be it hunting, fishing, or general "getting out and about" exploring?

Having a girlfriend who competes in events, has a lot of knowledge and skill around horses, and given that she has the land to home another horse if need be I have been toying with the idea of getting one myself recently.

I have ridden a few times, mainly helping out on musters etc, but are certainly still learning. I do appreciate
and know there is a lot of responsibility, cost and time that goes into owning and caring for these animals.

I am essentially thinking of getting a bombproof, experienced trekking horse that is relatively dosile, that will be happy to have perhaps a weekend away each month in the high country, swag on the back, and head away into the hills for a couple of nights.

Interested to know peoples thoughts.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Horseback
Reply #1 - May 8th, 2018 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
Umm - bought a horse when I wasn't allowed to drive a car and discovered it was more demanding than any girlfriend I ever had.

Farrier bills, vet bills, sores on its dick I had to rub cream in, putting all the clods of dirt it had kicked out back in place after a gallop from Woburn to Naenae railway stations after a cop had snagged me - so after five years I gave it away to a sheila who let me shag her.

Incidentally, I think the cruelest thing I ever did was with that horse - rode it from Naenae to the Wairarapa over the Rimutaka's in one day - 60 something miles.
Got there and camped in a cockies paddock for near a week, until the horse was fit enough to ride back home.

Your notion sounds a bit more level headed than mine and if it's really anchored in your head - go for it.

Gotta live your dreams mate.

IP Logged

Bon
Donor Member

Reply #2 - May 8th, 2018 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
Excellent idea.
All you need a sure footed mount that is confident in river crossings. Might be a good idea to learn how to tack a shoe on,although for short trips that shouldn't be a bother. You have access to at least a scrillion acres to roam in. There are old pack tracks and horse routes all over.Go for it!

IP Logged

ponies
Just Joined

Reply #3 - May 8th, 2018 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
A great way to hunt with alot of advantages particularly quietness and a easy way to cart game out. I have used horses in my work and for hunting, pm your phone number if you would like to talk it though.

IP Logged

XRhunter
Donor Member

Reply #4 - May 8th, 2018 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
Your biggest drama will be the horse. Good ones are few and far between.
40-50 years ago horses were part of most every farm. Certainly sheep and beef units and all high country stations. All farms had lots of dogs to feed, so any  horse that played up, had a dirty streak, always went lame, had a difficult back to fit a saddle to or any one of a dozen other poor attributes found a new home in the copper, and was boiled down for dog tucker. Shocked
Now that 95% of all horses are not work horses, the gene pool has been progressively depleted: Horses with 'difficulties' are molly coddled, kept in the paddock but never ridden 'cause he's soooo pretty, fawned over by owners shit scared of ever getting on them, the list is endless. Most should have received a bullet, but that practical approach has been lost.
The horse you are looking for is rare. If you do find it, good on you. But, they are a whole lot more work than a quad or two wheeler. Quads don't run 20km down the riverbed if you get unseated when the deer on the back slips and digs it in the ribs Shocked  And much like an old bike, you need to know a reasonable amount of emergency mechanics to keep you going, or prevent calamity when in the hills, or transporting said horse to and from your place of enjoyment Wink
Then there's the truck. Needs to be strong enough to haul a horse float about. And if you are going hunting, possibly you pick up a second horse who can be a paddock mate, tag along carrying camp gear, and a donk when you return from a successful trip away. Then you'll need to pick up some farrier skills, as $160 every 6 weeks for new shoes eats into petrol money quick smart Sad Certainly in Canty hill country unshod hooves aren't going to fly. Unless you buy boots. And a clumsy horse can destroy a set of $300 boots  in a few minutes Angry
But despite those few impediments, it can be very satisfying hunting from horseback. esp when the body has seen its best years, and you're not up to wandering the terrain you easily roamed over in your youth Cool

IP Logged

Rumpy
Donor Member

Wishing I was out in the
hills.

Reply #5 - May 8th, 2018 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
Good hunting horses can be found in the back of the Urewera country. Not sure how they would go in canterbury. Don't know if any of the locals would sell there horse though.

.270 WIN   AWESOME SINCE 1925       "REMEMBER THE 6 P's" POOR PREPARATION PROVIDES PISS POOR PERFORMANCE

IP Logged

.threeoeight
Forum Senior

Reply #6 - May 9th, 2018 at 6:45am
Print Post  
Im with XRhunter on this one.
After 6 yrs or so on horses [shephrding] they taught me a few things.
Like how to rub your leg off going through gates.
How to try and knock you off going under obstacles.
Like coming back from lambing a ewe to find your bridal hanging on the fence.
Rolling on your saddle.
Standing on yours or your dogs feet.
Being kicked.
Being bitten.
Being bucked off.
Horse deciding that its shadow was scary and bolting off.
Standing at the furtherest part of the paddock.
Horses no thanks.

Its the nut behind the butt, that counts.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #7 - May 10th, 2018 at 11:30am
Print Post  
.threeoeight wrote on May 9th, 2018 at 6:45am:
Horse deciding that its shadow was scary and bolting off.

Ha, ha, ha - yep, had that.

And another thing - some horses don't like the smell of blood.
People along the road have got a Kaimanawa horse and I'd stop and give it a good scratch while passing.
Then one day I did the same with a bag of fresh possum skins on my back and dried blood on my hands and that horse gave me such a belt with its head it sat me on my arse and had me wondering if it had sprung some ribs.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #8 - May 10th, 2018 at 9:49pm
Print Post  
Ha, we had a couple as kids. Wed catch them and ride without a saddle. Just the bridle. The one I remember in particular would sometimes just take off and run for dear life. There was nothing to do but hang on as it would run under low branches totally out of control . Wed laugh like hell but with your heart in your throat.

They are the worst things to shoot around at night getting very skitish and running like hell in the dark warren pockmarked landscape. I avoid them like the plauge not wanting them to do themselves some damage.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

Reply #9 - May 12th, 2018 at 4:44pm
Print Post  
horses have ruined many mens lives mentaly and financialy.  IMO keep clear of horses and especialy keep clear of horse crazy women they will keep you poor (and their thighs are that strong them legs will never spread unless you buy her the next horsey bs she wants  Cheesy)

Buy a motorbike and stay happy  Smiley

IP Logged

XRhunter
Donor Member

Reply #10 - May 12th, 2018 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
   Hmmmmm, sounds like the voice of experience talking there Grin Grin Grin
gonehuntin wrote on May 12th, 2018 at 4:44pm:
horses have ruined many mens lives mentaly and financialy.  IMO keep clear of horses and especialy keep clear of horse crazy women they will keep you poor (and their thighs are that strong them legs will never spread unless you buy her the next horsey bs she wants  Cheesy)

Buy a motorbike and stay happy  Smiley

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #11 - May 12th, 2018 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
Grin Grin great wisdom there. 

On topic though, I reckon riding in on a horse would be a great hunting adventure. Get one thats deaf though case you get the oppurtunity to shoot something out of the saddle.  Cheesy

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

Reply #12 - May 14th, 2018 at 7:07am
Print Post  
XRhunter wrote on May 12th, 2018 at 6:32pm:
   Hmmmmm, sounds like the voice of experience talking there Grin Grin Grin

not my 1st hand exp im smarter then that,  but have 2 good mates that succumbed to the horsey ladies 1 worked it out after 7 yrs and ran the other now has 5 horses running around and is currently building stables.... might be lucky to win $4 at the a&p show each year Silly man

IP Logged

Wild South

Wild South

Reply #13 - Jun 8th, 2018 at 10:18pm
Print Post  
Cheers for the replies guys - much appreciated.

I've decided to lease (free) a horse for the first six months and see how we go. If I like it and find it handy, I'll look at buying one.

I can't help but look on topo maps at some of these high country watersheds and think how handy a horse would be to cover 25-30km a day with ease.

IP Logged

XRhunter
Donor Member

Reply #14 - Jun 9th, 2018 at 1:13pm
Print Post  
Just remember that if you're going to do those distances horsey will run out of puff if you don't take concentrate feed along for him/her. They normally spend most of the day turning grass into poo, and the vegetation up those valleys is pretty poor quality. Spot on tucker for a horse normally, but not if you are going to want them to crank out the kms.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards