Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Reloading....is it worth it? (Read 747 times)
poodle
Donor Member

meat is murder, tasty
tasty murder.

Reloading....is it worth it?
May 6th, 2018 at 9:29am
Print Post  
Is it expensive to get into and can you reload rimfire ammo?

IP Logged

TJ
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

EBRG forever- Cher, cher
Bro

Re: Reloading....is it worth it?
Reply #1 - May 6th, 2018 at 10:30am
Print Post  
No to rim fire

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #2 - May 6th, 2018 at 10:33am
Print Post  
Don't know if anyone these days reloads rimfire - and as to loading centrefire it would depend on how much you shoot and what you shoot at.
Are you after a perfect score at the range or do you want to load for hunting.

Gearing up would cost a bit - press, dies, powder scales and reloading books - and that's your base equipment there.
Then you have all the little gadgets that can go along with it - case trimmers, pocket cleaners, neck turners and chamfering tools, neck annealing equipment, but they're not necessary - I do all that with a pocket knife, file and candle - apart from neck turning which I don't do.

Then there's brands, Lee produces serviceable presses and dies - and they can be considered budget.
Then there's RCBS, Lyman, Saeco and they'll cost some few bob more, but won't give a better end product for general purpose shooting.

You'll probably pick up some good stuff at bargain prices on TradeMe.

One of your most important purchases will be a decent reloading book, or two or three of them - and there's been some good posts on here regarding that.

Then of course - there's common sense .........

And not least - can you really be bothered with it all.
It can either be an interesting and enjoyable pastime - or a right royal pain in the bum if you're only doing it to save a few bob.

And as for reloading rimfire, I read of someone years ago who did it - but have forgotten the details now.
Did have a mate who reloaded pinfire for an old shottie - but that was a bit of a chore.

IP Logged

6.5x55bjai

Reply #3 - May 6th, 2018 at 11:16am
Print Post  
poodle wrote on May 6th, 2018 at 9:29am:
Is it expensive to get into and can you reload rimfire ammo?

Re rimfire, can be done but not very practical. I saw on the net recently a kit available to reload 22rf but why would you bother.

Maybe 32 cal rf but even then some of these rarer types of ammo still come up at auctions.

Maybe something exotic like a 56 Spencer would warrant the effort but then given the value of the firearm it won't be in common ownership and the owners of them would probabaly not see firing such antiques as a good thing.

As for CF reloading, already well covered by SF90 except to say I never took up reloading to save money but to create better ammo. Nowadays a lot (not all by any means) of the factory ammo performs as good as some people's reloads. If you are a 20 rounds per year shooter, not worth the outlay.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #4 - May 6th, 2018 at 4:06pm
Print Post  
6.5x55bjai wrote on May 6th, 2018 at 11:16am:
Re rimfire, can be done but not very practical. I saw on the net recently a kit available to reload 22rf but why would you bother.

That's very interesting - just looked it up on the Internet.

My first job was in a research Lab and I had access to all sorts of interesting chemicals - I also had an interest in guns.
That was over fifty years ago and the stuff (guns) floating around then was mind boggling - stuff you only see in collections now.

The reason I looked up rimfire reloading was both my mate and myself got a Spencer each. A place in Petone was selling them - they'd been fire damaged and I selected mine from many others in a wooden crate.

In that laboratory they had a late eighteen hundred's Pharmacopeia with an answer to every question you ever had - so I made a fulminate powder with the idea of reloading a Spencer case - if I ever got one.
You could paint that powder on any hard surface and let it dry - then you hit it with a hammer and you got a nice satisfactory "bang" - like a cap going off.
Not long after I played with that fulminate and some 'improved' gunpowder I concocted, I got interviewed by a Police or Army Explosives person - and he told me one of the fun things he used to do was much the same as I had - except his was so sensitive, a fly could detonate it.

The Company Manager eventually confiscated that book, with ill grace I might add - but not until after I had made face and hand creams for the ladies on the third floor and a 'Black as Midnight' hair dye for the hot chick in reception.

And that hair dye killed that romance before it had barely got going.

And I never did get a Spencer case.

IP Logged

6.5x55bjai

Reply #5 - May 6th, 2018 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
Pyro mania methinks  Smiley

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #6 - May 6th, 2018 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
6.5x55bjai wrote on May 6th, 2018 at 4:42pm:
Pyro mania methinks  Smiley

Young and curious mate and now I am old - I'm no less curious.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #7 - May 6th, 2018 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
the same question gets asked about tieing your own fishing flies....same sort of answers.....long and short of it there is great satifaction in "rolling your own" and for me the cost saving is a big bonus....If I want to fire off a few rounds ,well I fire a few off and dont have to fork out money for another box from the shops.....good reloads are equal or better than best factory loads (or should that be read other way around?) and getting the flavour you want is much easier when you roll your own. getting say a reduced recoil load or projectiles at either end of spectrum is neigh on impossible from factory loads.

IP Logged

264Magic
Donor Member

Reply #8 - May 7th, 2018 at 9:09am
Print Post  
i find myself wasting lots of powder trying different loads and projectiles,if wanting just for hunting and only fire a box a yr than stick to store stuff

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

Ackley

Reply #9 - May 7th, 2018 at 10:33am
Print Post  
I reload to tune for accuracy as mostly I head shoot for meat. I also do a lot of pest control with a 17 Ackley Hornet. $2 a shot for factory less than 50c to reload when using 1-300 shots a month it is quite a saving. If I was using a 223 it wouldn't pay as they can be purchased for less tha a $1 a shot. Bought my reloading gear 40 years ago so doesn't owe me much and still works fine. Sitting at the kitchen table to weigh out powder makes it more social than hiding out in the shed so wife doesn't mind the time spent
For the big bangers it allows fine tuning and use of suitable projectiles for different applications

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #10 - May 9th, 2018 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
Remember a comment from Greg Duley many moons ago that most NZ hunters [excuse pun] shot no more than a box of ammo a year.

IP Logged

JaSa

Know your (rifles) limits

Reply #11 - May 9th, 2018 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
I just started reloading lately and enjoy it very much. Started because I couldn't buy the ammo I was after. Ticked that box now, developed a great load of Barnes 55gr TTSX for the 223 which is a bonus and just playing around with a load to replace my Winchester Silvertips factory ammo either with Hornady 53gr or the Nosler 55gr BST.

Will I ever get my investment back? No probably not.

Would I recommend to others to reload? Definitely as it's good fun.

And you will find that you use your rifle more often during load development which means when it comes down to crunch time with a stag in the cross hair, your shooting and confidence is way up there. At least if you are a one-box-a-year hunter like I was...

Cheers,
JaSa

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards