Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Garmin inReach (Read 212 times)
yamboon

Garmin inReach
May 6th, 2018 at 8:57am
Print Post  
I see a few out there are using the Garmin InReach and as I may soon have to replace my PLB I was wondering if the SOS feature on the inReach would do the same job. The spec sheet says it is monitored by GEOS with information relayed to local SAR. How does that work in NZ? Does it require a subscription to GEOS?

Also does the EarthMate App support NZ Topo maps?

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Garmin inReach
Reply #1 - May 6th, 2018 at 9:09am
Print Post  
There are several threads on this

I have both

PLB for sending out an SOS if I need help urgently
Inreach for messaging family etc if I'm delayed, want weather forcast, let them know where I am. , change helicopter pick up, use it frequently
They use different satalite systems, and Inreach messages can be delayed until satilites are available
In bush, delay can be considerable
IMO it is NOT a suitable for emergencies where time is essential

PLB is on my belt whenever away from camp.

I don't want be laying at bottom of a bluff, bones broken and signal delayed an hour or more.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards