Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Cz 452 vsBrno model2 (Read 538 times)
poodle
Donor Member

meat is murder, tasty
tasty murder.

Cz 452 vsBrno model2
May 5th, 2018 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
I am looking to get a decent bolt action .22. For the same price he has a new cz452 with a tasco 4x scope or a second hand Brno model 2 with a leupold varipower scope. Both look very tidy. Both are wood and blued barrel, both are threaded.
What would people choose?
I am going for .22 lr because it is a good calibre to learn to shoot with and I can affordto use up a bunch of ammo learning to shoot with it.

IP Logged

6.5x55bjai

Re: Cz 452 vsBrno model2
Reply #1 - May 5th, 2018 at 2:43pm
Print Post  
Depends if you want something semi collectable or a shooter although the Model 2 fills both functions.
Brand new 452s are getting rare as the 455 has replaced it some time ago. Prevailing opinion on US forums are that the 452 is more desirable than the 455.
Also be aware that BRNO Model 2s after 1967ish were no longer the BRNOs of old and despite the labeling were CZs, a totally different outfit that made the Model 1s and 2s. Opinions are that there was also an initial drop off in quality when CZ took over the manufacturer.

What are the date stamps on each rifle?

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #2 - May 5th, 2018 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
For what it's worth, I've never seen a CZ in the flesh, but I do have a couple of BRNO's - a Model 1 from the 50's and a Model 2 from '67 and they shoot as good as anything else I've had and have never given any trouble.

At the end of the day they're much the same gun and I can't really see the CZ as being inferior - or less accurate.

Perhaps a word of caution - I remember a mate arriving with his BRNO 7x57 and my being confused as to whether it was a BRNO or a copy. I had the same gun, except an earlier version and the difference in 'finish' was quite starling. His was a seventies or eighties gun and I remember reading somewhere that the Czech's had spat the dummy under Soviet rule and didn't put the care into those later rifles.
Whether they did the same to the rimfires I don't know, but I don't recall seeing a bad one.

While I like the early Tasco's, I suspect the one on that CZ is later generation and I'm not sure I'd touch one.
Leupold's are good to excellent scopes - depending on model, so I expect I'd go for that.
The VX-1 is the basic scope in the Leupold line-up - and they're okay, just not as bright or as pricey as the VX-2, VX-3 and so on.

IP Logged

Varmint
Forum Font

Reply #3 - May 6th, 2018 at 9:07am
Print Post  
Get the BRNO 'cos it's got a better scope.

IP Logged

poodle
Donor Member

meat is murder, tasty
tasty murder.

Reply #4 - May 6th, 2018 at 10:36am
Print Post  
Hmmmm...I am always a bit nervous with second hand in case the reason it became second hand was that it was a bit dodgy. I also found the forend of the stock on the brno a bit delicate for my big hands.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #5 - May 6th, 2018 at 10:46am
Print Post  
Well, there you go - your spanking new CZ will at least be nice and shiny  Wink

IP Logged

Pete82
Donor Member

Aren't we lucky?

Reply #6 - May 9th, 2018 at 5:54am
Print Post  
SF90 wrote on May 5th, 2018 at 2:47pm:
For what it's worth, I've never seen a CZ in the flesh, but I do have a couple of BRNO's - a Model 1 from the 50's and a Model 2 from '67 and they shoot as good as anything else I've had and have never given any trouble.

At the end of the day they're much the same gun and I can't really see the CZ as being inferior - or less accurate.

Perhaps a word of caution - I remember a mate arriving with his BRNO 7x57 and my being confused as to whether it was a BRNO or a copy. I had the same gun, except an earlier version and the difference in 'finish' was quite starling. His was a seventies or eighties gun and I remember reading somewhere that the Czech's had spat the dummy under Soviet rule and didn't put the care into those later rifles.
Whether they did the same to the rimfires I don't know, but I don't recall seeing a bad one.

While I like the early Tasco's, I suspect the one on that CZ is later generation and I'm not sure I'd touch one.
Leupold's are good to excellent scopes - depending on model, so I expect I'd go for that.
The VX-1 is the basic scope in the Leupold line-up - and they're okay, just not as bright or as pricey as the VX-2, VX-3 and so on.

Yeah in 1968 Soviets basically invaded Czechoslovakia to put things back into order (by their communist standards) and produce in most of these big companies (all government owned) was changed, extended or so. Zbrojovka Brno started making office equipment, tractor parts and such so a lot less effort was put into finish of a rifles - rough machining marks and sharp edges are typical for guns from this era... A lot worse things were happening in early 90's when they changed steel supplier and later on when they sold it off...

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Reply #7 - May 12th, 2018 at 10:09am
Print Post  
CZ always made the bolt action rifles and Brno made the semi auto and double rifles and the shotguns , under State (commie) rule they all were sold/ marketed under the Brno name and banned from sale in the USA  .When the commies quit the 2 companies split and went their separate ways . Standards were kept high as the idea was to make quality products to sell in the west to get reliable currency , making a profit was not a necessity .
The early Mod 1 , 2 ,2a ,4 and 5's I have seen, sold and owned were all made to a higher standard of finish and blue than the rifles made after the split . At some time in the 60's or so CZ's supply stock of stock wood burnt up in a big fire , the quality of the wood dropped for a while .
The bore size and rate of twist of the rifles has varied with time and model , I have measured the bore as low as .218 .
Modern CZ's are now sold on the US market and the quality of finish has improved accordingly.
There are a number of Mod 1 type rifles in NZ which were made for the Czech military as training rifles , they dont have Brno or CZ marks , and are a bit rougher than the civilian ones .
The original full steel magazines are much better made than the plastic spring capped ones or full plastic ones .

BTW taking on the Soviets with, basically, what would be termed industrial sabotage wouldn't have been a good idea . Grin

Shooting is the most fun you can legally have with your clothes on .
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards