Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Outdoor Companion (Read 1486 times)
Wild South

Wild South

Outdoor Companion
May 4th, 2018 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
Hi guys and girls,

First time dog owner (potentially) here.

I know this has been covered in various aspects before, but I can't quite extract exactly what I am after from the numerous threads I have read.

Essentially I am after recommendations on the best dog breeds that make good outdoor companions.

A lot of my weekends are spent fly fishing, deer and tahr hunting, and general exploring/camping around the South Island. The Mrs loves it, but often can't get away due to other commitments. Therefore I am wanting a bit of company in the form of "mans best friend". I don't need the best "deer dog", but would like to trust that it wouldn't go off barking every couple of minutes. I live in town, so don't have a massive land area, but certainly a big enough backyard to keep him/her entertained whilst we are out, and live right near a big park too.

Basically after a trustworthy dog that is happy to wander up a river fishing for a day, or chasing a few deer, then is happy to curl up and sit around the fire/tent.

I have been looking at the likes of a Border Collie. Who has experience owning this breed?

In terms of male or female, what are the pros and cons of each?

Thanks heaps!

IP Logged

Maddoghunter
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Outdoor Companion
Reply #1 - May 4th, 2018 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
Itís all about matching the dogs energy level and natural inclination to what youíre looking for.

Border collies are high energy and are hard wired to round stuff up.
Sheep, cattle, deer, pigs, cars, bicycles, joggers etc.

A Labrador is lower energy and more inclined to stay with you, although many have a strong roving instinct.

If youíre keen on a working type dog a kelpie would be a good mate, and theyíre smart and easy to train, and donít have the mental issues of the purebred border collies.

If an easy to handle dog around home is the highest priority then get a bull mastiff, they love sleeping, are smart and are excellent family dogs.

Female dogs tend to mature sooner, and generally cleaner, but tend to get more irritable when theyíre older.
Male dogs often piss on everything, although the ones Iíve had from a pup havenít had this problem. I find them more easy going, although more territorial.

IP Logged

Maddoghunter
Donor Member

Reply #2 - May 5th, 2018 at 9:20am
Print Post  
Another good breed to look at is a foxy.
Cheap to feed, donít have to carry much food in your pack, fit down a sleeping bag on a cold night and are very natural hunters.
Can be little terrorists though.

IP Logged

len6163
Just Joined

Reply #3 - May 13th, 2018 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
Have a look at the hungarian Vizsla a great companion dog that loves the outdoors as well as being with you.

IP Logged

Sneaka

I love short range hunting

Reply #4 - May 14th, 2018 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
I would suggest that you get a dog based on temperament more than breed. If you don't need it to find deer then the most important thing becomes that it wont lose you deer. If you get my drift. You don't want any highly strung or high energy breed. Scratch anything that finishes with 'pointer'. You want something quiet/ placid in nature that just wants to please (biddable) as you are a first time owner and one that can handle wandering up cold rivers. My ten cents.

IP Logged

LOVETT
Forum Font

Hunting the Kaweka, Ruahine
& Tararua Forest Parks

Reply #5 - May 14th, 2018 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
Sneaka wrote on May 14th, 2018 at 12:00pm:
I would suggest that you get a dog based on temperament more than breed. If you don't need it to find deer then the most important thing becomes that it wont lose you deer. If you get my drift. You don't want any highly strung or high energy breed. Scratch anything that finishes with 'pointer'. You want something quiet/ placid in nature that just wants to please (biddable) as you are a first time owner and one that can handle wandering up cold rivers. My ten cents.

Good advice that.

YOU'LL LEARN NO HARM FROM THE HILLS - NEWTON MCCONOCHIE

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #6 - May 14th, 2018 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
Here is my 2c worth.

Get a purebred. Go to a good breeder with a reputation to match. Tell them what you require out of your dog as in a calm dog, hunting ability etc.
You also want to check as in see the paper work hip, elbow and eye scores of the dam and sire, i would also ask are there any other health issues that have come up both with the dam and or sire. If they dont have basics such as hip elbow eye scores walk away.†
A good breeder will be able to tell you why they chose the sire why they purchased the bitch they have etc. A good breeder will also help you along they way with advice re animal health , training etc.

IP Logged

stagstalker
Donor Member

Work to go Hunting

Reply #7 - May 14th, 2018 at 9:41pm
Print Post  
Some great advice above. I got my first dog after a lot of advice from this forum. The only thing I will do different next time is buying from a reputable breeder with health proven dogs as mentioned above. We took a risk with an unproven dog and we have been lucky so far. It would break my heart now if we lost her due to a health issue after I have put so much time into her and she has become a part of the family so I just won't take that risk again..

We got a lab bitch. She is the most chilled, happy, people friendly dog. She will come along and do anything from a massive week long hunting trip in the bush through to the other spectrum of sleeping and doing nothing for a week while we are at work. My 18 month old daughter climbs all over her and she just sits there happy as letting her play.

I am not necessarily saying a lab is what you want, but getting a dog with the right temperament as already mentioned is key. And good training of course..

Sako-Tikka-Lee Enfield-Franchi-Leupold-Black Labrador
YouTube  
IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #8 - May 14th, 2018 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
stagstalker wrote on May 14th, 2018 at 9:41pm:
Some great advice above. I got my first dog after a lot of advice from this forum. The only thing I will do different next time is buying from a reputable breeder with health proven dogs as mentioned above. We took a risk with an unproven dog and we have been lucky so far. It would break my heart now if we lost her due to a health issue after I have put so much time into her and she has become a part of the family so I just won't take that risk again..

We got a lab bitch. She is the most chilled, happy, people friendly dog. She will come along and do anything from a massive week long hunting trip in the bush through to the other spectrum of sleeping and doing nothing for a week while we are at work. My 18 month old daughter climbs all over her and she just sits there happy as letting her play.

I am not necessarily saying a lab is what you want, but getting a dog with the right temperament as already mentioned is key. And good training of course..

Yip, I have been there with my first bitch (PRA at 5 years ) and yip it is heartbreaking stuff.

IP Logged

LOVETT
Forum Font

& Tararua Forest Parks

Reply #9 - May 15th, 2018 at 11:16am
Print Post  
Salmoner wrote on May 14th, 2018 at 8:19pm:
Here is my 2c worth.

Get a purebred. Go to a good breeder with a reputation to match.

+1 that helps.

Two things I'd be looking for:

1. First ask them to make their dog stay still for 30 seconds, if they can't do that they wouldn't know a good dog if they seen one so how could sell you one.

2.† If they are fat go elsewhere.† Show me someone who runs dogs properly that is fat.† They either don't know the definition of hard or they like to talk about dogs more than actually work with dogs.† Again how would they know if there dogs any good, they are hardly testing them.

Not PC but I back that advice.

Cheers, Dan

IP Logged

TJ
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

EBRG forever- Cher, cher
Bro

Reply #10 - May 15th, 2018 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
Could be a tad difficult getting the dog to stay if it is only a pup

IP Logged

LOVETT
Forum Font

& Tararua Forest Parks

Reply #11 - May 15th, 2018 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
TJ wrote on May 15th, 2018 at 12:15pm:
Could be a tad difficult getting the dog to stay if it is only a pup

Sorry mate I wasn't referring to the Mother or Father etc.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards