Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic another hunter shot (Read 4078 times)
levactn

Be prepared-in & out of
season

another hunter shot
May 3rd, 2018 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
Wednesday in Kaimanawas a man shot & critically wounded!
Im not wanting to start another "blame game" but it may well be safer to adopt an American - "bow season" for the roar!!

sometimes i sits & thinks, & sometimes i just sits. never miss a good chance to shut-up
when your dead you don't know your dead. All the pain is felt by others. Same thing happens when your stupid!

IP Logged

videohunter

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: another hunter shot
Reply #1 - May 3rd, 2018 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
Roll Eyes

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #2 - May 3rd, 2018 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
Bugger.   Tongue

We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.
IP Logged

Duxbac

Reply #3 - May 3rd, 2018 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
Sad to say, I don't think it will ever end, but here's hoping. When culling for the N.Z. Forest Service, some of our field officer's use to pull us out of area's where they thought it would be too dangerous during the roar, and that was going back in the early 70's. Shocked

AIM  
IP Logged

EC
Forum Font

Reply #4 - May 3rd, 2018 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
Duxbac wrote on May 3rd, 2018 at 4:30pm:
Sad to say, I don't think it will ever end, but here's hoping. When culling for the N.Z. Forest Service, some of our field officer's use to pull us out of area's where they thought it would be too dangerous during the roar, and that was going back in the early 70's. Shocked

No your right it wont go away anytime soon,will only get worse.
Ex NZFS?  are you a member of the Cullers at all?
Smiley

Wrinkles are the map of your soulful journey,,,you'd be lost without them,,

IP Logged

Sika 9
Donor Member

Onwards and upwards

Reply #5 - May 5th, 2018 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
Been a spooky year for me, was guiding a young fella on his first real bush mission and he blew a hole in the bank half a meter away from me.....then I was snuck upon a couple of days ago by a guy thinking I was a stag, I sucked up a bit of dust or something then coughed and he called out just behind me.

Every hunt is successful, pulling the trigger is a bonus;)

IP Logged

Maddoghunter
Donor Member

Reply #6 - May 6th, 2018 at 7:54am
Print Post  

Im under the impression that there were more hunters shot back then?

IP Logged

Baz
Forum Font

Reply #7 - May 6th, 2018 at 10:00am
Print Post  

They did the same during the 80's--since 1979 there has been one fatality every 9 months-but sadly over the last 5 years that figure has increased.

Too Old To Die Young.
YouTube  
IP Logged

EC
Forum Font

Reply #8 - May 6th, 2018 at 10:23am
Print Post  
Baz wrote on May 6th, 2018 at 10:00am:

They did the same during the 80's--since 1979 there has been one fatality every 9 months-but sadly over the last 5 years that figure has increased.

Gotta be a big increase of hunters since them days Baz.
I know a few of us  would vacate when the landies rolled in during certain times of year.
It's not good.

Wrinkles are the map of your soulful journey,,,you'd be lost without them,,

IP Logged

Baz
Forum Font

Reply #9 - May 6th, 2018 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
[/quote]

Gotta be a big increase of hunters since them days Baz.
I know a few of us would vacate when the landies rolled in during certain times of year.
It's not good.
[/quote]

Your right EC-many more hunters these days. But in saying that there were a few venison foot hunters making the most of the meat prices back in the day.
There was a Bergs chiller in most towns during the high prices.

Too Old To Die Young.
YouTube  
IP Logged

ExPoh75
Just Joined

Reply #10 - May 7th, 2018 at 9:22pm
Print Post  

Remember that Muz, got pulled out of the Poh.  Being an aussie with no place to go the FO dropped me off at the Oroua for a couple of weeks.  The Deerstalker boys at Triangle were real happy (not) to see me.  Funny thing is I never saw a private hunter in the Poh in 74/75.  Closest I ever come to being shot was when another NZFS bloke accidently? discharged his rifle when following me into the block.  Was not happy  Angry

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #11 - May 7th, 2018 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
Some times you wonder if the roar is not a cover for the full moon. Identify your target at all times. Seems increasingly like many offenders have not shot any animals for a while so the natural instinct is to ramp up the tally and shoot what might be a deer to avoid frustration of seeing one bound or crash away. There are more deer around now than ever in the last 30 years.

IP Logged

Cuzza
Donor Member

Reply #12 - May 9th, 2018 at 9:29am
Print Post  
does anyone know if the bloke that was shot lived or not? havent seen anything on the news...

IP Logged

Wildtrail

Aim for a hunt

Reply #13 - May 9th, 2018 at 11:29am
Print Post  
Cuzza wrote on May 9th, 2018 at 9:29am:
does anyone know if the bloke that was shot lived or not? havent seen anything on the news...

Heard recently, Monday, that it is a miracle he is still alive due to the damage done due to the downward angle of the entry and exit wounds. Masterful work done by medical staff from chopper pick up to present.

IP Logged

Outdoor Mad

"Living The Dream"

Reply #14 - May 10th, 2018 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
was in the area when this happened, heard the shot and the 2 lots of 3 help shots just after the first shot. in the mist of making our way over there when we heard the Taupo rescue chopper coming down the valley. watched first hand the pilot and medical stuff do there job in windy conditions, was an amazing effort on there behalf.
lucky enough that someone had a PLB on them. they save lives.

He was shot with a 7-08 so is very lucky to be alive.

If some one has a update on how the guy is doing then let me know. .   

Stay Safe out there

"Living The Dream"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards