Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic All round arrow weight for NZ Hunting (Read 622 times)
Lonestarkiwi
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

All round arrow weight for NZ Hunting
May 3rd, 2018 at 12:37am
Print Post  
G'day all,

Compound bow shooters, I am wondering what your all round hunting arrow weight (total weight) is for NZ game.  I live in the US and have reasonably heavy arrows (580gr) for larger species like elk, bears etc.  Im moving to NZ next year and want to get my bow set up and stockpile a few arrows because they're cheaper here. 
Current set up is 64lbs at 31 inch draw.  Getting 248FPS.  I think i would probably be ok in the mid to high 400 grain area and that would also gain me some speed.  My current arrow hits like a ton of bricks but is not the fastest.
Any insight would be appreciated.
Cheers

Jeremy

IP Logged

Timfin

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: All round arrow weight for NZ Hunting
Reply #1 - May 4th, 2018 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
I can't help you too much as I've got not much of an idea(recurve hunter) But NZ has a range of year round hunting from small game, bunnies etc to medium - goats, to large, wapiti(elk)etc, so kinda depends where you are and what you are keen to hunt???
If you were after medium to larger game i would go for something like what you would hunt whitetail with over there(maybe a little lighter and faster than you are using)?? but whitetail seem about the size of our red deer which are common throughout nz, hope thats of some help...

IP Logged

Marchnic
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #2 - May 4th, 2018 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
I'm from the U.S as well and have been bowhunting the south island for the last 5 months. My arrows are around 435 gr. (70 pounds, 28 in. draw) and I wish they were quite a bit heavier (tahr are tough sons a guns). But I haven't had one jump the string yet. Chamois are a bit quicker on their feet and have seen them get out of the way before my arrow got there. Id say if you kept your arrow in the high 400s you'd be set. and use a solid fixed blade on tahr.

IP Logged

Lonestarkiwi
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #3 - May 18th, 2018 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
Thanks dudes, that helps a lot.
Just got a dozen new gold tips, slightly lighter per grain. about 470gr and right at 280fps.  Ill be sure to keep the heavier ones just in case Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards