Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Handheld Hunting Spotlight (Read 556 times)
gutshooter
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Handheld Hunting Spotlight
May 2nd, 2018 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
Looking for a new Handheld Hunting Spotlight. Had a Lightforce SL 170 for years

Also any battery recommendations would be good

"He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man" Hunter S Thompson

IP Logged

stug
Forum Font

Re: Handheld Hunting Spotlight
Reply #1 - May 2nd, 2018 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
Read the Maxtoch torch thread. Awesome lights, lightweight and powerful.

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #2 - May 3rd, 2018 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
Maxtoch. The te reo translation is made in heaven. The CHCH Pixies who had a huge input into its develpment are sharpies in the tech field. Talented bastards. $120 compared to 000's$ for thermal. The deer will never know the difference if you dont educate them. Light on 1 in the swede. Job done. Coming home flick the Maxie into a tight pocket. Hello some neon golfballs. Out with the T3/Dpt. Job done. Simple.  Wink Best of all they happily give you the best advice free. Beat that. Wink

IP Logged

XRhunter
Donor Member

Reply #3 - May 3rd, 2018 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
Have a gander on the Maxtoch thread. Only 146 pages of info Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
We've all sold our Lightforce's to unsuspecting newbies and bought a couple of Maxtoch 2X's or M24's. A nights lighting on a hundred grams of batteries in your pocket. You won't be disappointed Smiley

IP Logged

gutshooter
Donor Member

Reply #4 - May 4th, 2018 at 11:02am
Print Post  
Thanks guys i bought one. Cheers

"He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man" Hunter S Thompson

IP Logged

RuahineRowan
Forum Senior

Reply #5 - May 4th, 2018 at 11:14am
Print Post  
Anyone buying maxtochs if you can please get one from BOP ammunition supplies in whakatane. Good guy and cheap as prices for ammo too. I think he said if H & F start bringing them in they'll be a lot more expensive!

IP Logged

stug
Forum Font

Reply #6 - May 4th, 2018 at 11:57am
Print Post  
Just buy them straight from the company off Aliexpress.

IP Logged

Sauer

Reply #7 - May 4th, 2018 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
I have a Maxtoch Shooter 2X with a red beam - my 15 year old son likes to thin out the possum population with his hunting bow when we are away hunting in a fairly remote part of Westland.

From time to time I have picked up Red Deer in the beam, but they don’t like it at all. Once I lit up two hinds at about 70-80 metres and one of them trotted about 10 metres towards us to get a better look before running off.

A couple of other times I have shone the beam onto a river terrace that we often see deer on at dawn/dusk. There were deer there, but as soon as the light came on they ran for cover - no hesitating to work out what was happening. Because of the remoteness of the area I doubt they have seen spotlights before.

I have only used it to be nosey, and haven’t had a rifle with me, but if I had I couldn’t have shot any of the deer I have seen with the light.

I have been told that with a ‘white light’ spotlight deer stand still and appear stunned by the light, but this definitely hasn’t been my experience with the red light.

IP Logged

ChrisHB
Forum Senior

Reply #8 - May 6th, 2018 at 8:00am
Print Post  
I think someone else on one of the NZ forums also said the deer were more unsettled by the red light than the std white.

I know the Poms often say red "lamps" are better for foxes than white. Not that it matters here..

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #9 - May 6th, 2018 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
White is the best colour for lighting i.e. intensity, clarity etc. Do you to smoke them or what? Kindy is for playing white is for hunting. Sorta like reinventing the wheel.PM the Pixies. They got all the facts and research at their fingertips. Save yourself grief and get hunting.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards