Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Sleeping bag. best bang for buck or grams (Read 1908 times)
scottrods
Forum Font

Aim small, Hit small

Sleeping bag. best bang for buck or grams
May 1st, 2018 at 10:37am
Print Post  
After a couple of horrible cold snaps on my roar trip, incl that polar blast dropping temperatues to minus 9 deg, I really need to look at another sleeping bag.

My current one is a summer down and I've always used a sea to summit thermal liner to add some more warmth. I even slept with head to toe in polyprops, down jacket, gloves and two pairs of socks during the roar trip and I was still cold. My bag  was a cheap and is poorly made, leaks down feather all the time, zip is a pain and probably needs a refill, but I don't think it would handle the refill very well.

So what do people use out there for 3-4 season and doesn't weight 1.5kg!

I've had a look at Z-packs ones, they are light and probably going to be pricey but they aren't a mummy type. Macpac are heavy.

Kids who learn to Hunt and Fish,
Don't learn to Steal and Deal.

IP Logged

i_e
Forum Senior

Re: Sleeping bag. best bang for buck or grams
Reply #1 - May 1st, 2018 at 11:06am
Print Post  
Scott

I think your on track with the Boutique companyís like Zpacks but they are expensive.... These days you should easily get a -10 degree bag that weighs under 1kg or even 800g look at http://featheredfriends.com/ these guys are market leaders in sleeping bags , they make to order , there not mass produced and consequently they are very high quality !! Also look at http://www.westernmountaineering.com another boutique company from the states thatís starting to get rave reviews , there Ultra light is a 800g -10 degree bag.. As far as more established companyís go and nothing against Macpac but Marmont make great bags ! The Marmont Phase 20 -10 bag is 650g
Shocked
IE

Scott also remember that you have to consider you whole sleeping system , if you mat is crap youíll be cold in the worlds best sleeping bag ...if you donít already have one get yourself a high rated ( greater that 5 R value) sleeping pad .. youíll never look back

alcohol doesn't agree with me , but i sure do enjoy the argument!

IP Logged

outdoorlad
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #2 - May 1st, 2018 at 11:52am
Print Post  
You should have a look at the Sea to Summit Mirco3
https://www.bivouac.co.nz/gear/camping-and-tramping/sleeping-bags/sea-to-summit-...

A couple of mates use them & they are popular with the adventure racing crowd.
I got one before the roar at 20% off, compressís down super small, light weight & I used one of those thermal liners in it on the tops in 0deg & was warm with just wearing a base layer & hat, Iím a warm sleeper thou.

Iíll be taking it on our Greenstone trip in June.

IP Logged

scottrods
Forum Font

Aim small, Hit small

Reply #3 - May 1st, 2018 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
i_e wrote on May 1st, 2018 at 11:06am:
Scott also remember that you have to consider you whole sleeping system , if you mat is crap youíll be cold in the worlds best sleeping bag ...if you donít already have one get yourself a high rated ( greater that 5 R value) sleeping pad .. youíll never look back

Thanks. I currently use a thermorest Neoair Xlite. I'm a cold sleeper too Sad

Kids who learn to Hunt and Fish,
Don't learn to Steal and Deal.

IP Logged

stug
Forum Font

Reply #4 - May 2nd, 2018 at 7:28am
Print Post  
Look for at least an 800 loft down bag. I've been how impressed my 400g 800 loft Macpac bag is.

IP Logged

Tom N
Donor Member

Reply #5 - May 2nd, 2018 at 9:23am
Print Post  
What you have to remember mate, it's your body heat that warms the air gaps in the down, the down just stops the heat escaping.

So sleeping in your clothes pretty much inhibits any body heat escaping your clothes,  and pretty much negates using a sleeping bag at all. I only ever sleep in merino base layers, but wearing a beanie will keep you warmer than wearing clothes in your bag.

I run two bags, a summer light weight down from Macpac, which is good down to 0deg, for my winter bag I run a Vaude Ice Peak Extreme, she's rated to keep you alive at -27 but comfort range at -16. It has so many bells and whistles, but the downside is it's a touch heavy, and slightly bulky, but that's the price you pay for warmth, there's always a trade off
between weight and warmth.

Personally I'd rather carry the extra weight knowing I'm going to be warm at night after a big day on the hill.

But that's my 2c worth, just remember you get what you pay for, Euro or US manufacturers actually come from cold climates, not the "mild" temps we get here in NZ.

Good luck on your purchase mate.

ďA man never stands as tall as when he kneels to help a child.Ē

IP Logged

i_e
Forum Senior

Reply #6 - May 4th, 2018 at 10:38am
Print Post  
Howís the decision making process going Scott ? Any favorites emerging ?

alcohol doesn't agree with me , but i sure do enjoy the argument!

IP Logged

creed
Donor Member

Searching wild horizons
with pack & rifle

Reply #7 - May 4th, 2018 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
Tom N wrote on May 2nd, 2018 at 9:23am:
What you have to remember mate, it's your body heat that warms the air gaps in the down, the down just stops the heat escaping.

So sleeping in your clothes pretty much inhibits any body heat escaping your clothes,† and pretty much negates using a sleeping bag at all. I only ever sleep in merino base layers, but wearing a beanie will keep you warmer than wearing clothes in your bag.

I run two bags, a summer light weight down from Macpac, which is good down to 0deg, for my winter bag I run a Vaude Ice Peak Extreme, she's rated to keep you alive at -27 but comfort range at -16. It has so many bells and whistles, but the downside is it's a touch heavy, and slightly bulky, but that's the price you pay for warmth, there's always a trade off

Personally I'd rather carry the extra weight knowing I'm going to be warm at night after a big day on the hill.

But that's my 2c worth, just remember you get what you pay for, Euro or US manufacturers actually come from cold climates, not the "mild" temps we get here in NZ.

Sorry Tom, but I can't agree with you, cept about wearing a beanie as that does add warmth because so much heat loss occurs through your head.

As I understand it, wearing clothes in your sleeping bag does add warmth because it puts another layer between your naked body and the colder air outside your bag. Essentially you are creating a layering system, reducing the loss of air your body is warming up . . . and the final loft of the bag helps insulate against that heat loss also.

In all respects go for layering . . . that's why several thinner layers are better for regulating body temperature than one big thick layer. And the beauty of this system is that one bag can do for more conditions . . . add clothing or liner layers for warmth on cold nights, or strip down for hot nights . . .and even open the zip, etc.   

Hunting adventures - they're out there!
GTalk  
IP Logged

Horse
Forum Senior

Reply #8 - May 4th, 2018 at 11:58pm
Print Post  
Have a gander at the One Planet range.

IP Logged

Max
Donor Member

Reply #9 - May 5th, 2018 at 9:53am
Print Post  
Montbell are worth a look.....check online. I think purchasing thru their Japan based site works out cheaper.... Embarrassed

IP Logged

levactn

Be prepared-in & out of
season

Reply #10 - May 5th, 2018 at 10:46am
Print Post  
I guess ya gotta try a few bags & mats, what are mates for?

sometimes i sits & thinks, & sometimes i just sits. never miss a good chance to shut-up
when your dead you don't know your dead. All the pain is felt by others. Same thing happens when your stupid!

IP Logged

bushwanderer
Forum Font

hunt, fish and dive

Reply #11 - May 5th, 2018 at 11:46pm
Print Post  
You can get extra down added to the baffles if you want, take it to a store. Had this with my one, so hot now I am always in my undies even in winter and during that polar blast that hit in April it was the first time I could zip it up to my chest without getting too hot !

IP Logged

bushrat

Reply #12 - May 6th, 2018 at 12:03am
Print Post  
Or you can do what I do when its really hard to warm up . heat up the billy, pour the heated water into your drink bottle & slip that down your thermals. Bliss Wink

IP Logged

J
Donor Member

Per Ardua

Reply #13 - May 6th, 2018 at 8:08am
Print Post  
Blimey! These down 4 season bags are expensive, but thereís nothing worse than shivering away all night after a hard day.

In my British Army days we had bags that could cope down to -40C. The buggers weighed 6 Kg and we had to use them in summer too when they were massively too hot.

I have 2 and 3 season bags now, but still need to pull the trigger on a 4 season lightweight jobby. Interesting info and options above.

IP Logged

LOVETT
Forum Font

Hunting the Kaweka, Ruahine
& Tararua Forest Parks

Reply #14 - May 6th, 2018 at 8:54am
Print Post  
creed wrote on May 4th, 2018 at 9:39pm:
Tom N wrote on May 2nd, 2018 at 9:23am:

So sleeping in your clothes pretty much inhibits any body heat escaping your clothes,† and pretty much negates using a sleeping bag at all. I only ever sleep in merino base layers, but wearing a beanie will keep you warmer than wearing clothes in your bag.

Sorry Tom, but I can't agree with you, cept about wearing a beanie as that does add warmth because so much heat loss occurs through your head.

As I understand it, wearing clothes in your sleeping bag does add warmth because it puts another layer between your naked body and the colder air outside your bag. Essentially you are creating a layering system, reducing the loss of air your body is warming up . . . and the final loft of the bag helps insulate against that heat loss also.

In all respects go for layering . . . that's why several thinner layers are better for regulating body temperature than one big thick layer. And the beauty of this system is that one bag can do for more conditions . . . add clothing or liner layers for warmth on cold nights, or strip down for hot nights . . .and even open the zip, etc.† †

I can see merit in both arguments.  I have a foot in both camps and use a lightweight down vest with the front unzipped.  Adds more down yet doesn't stop the sleeping bag doing its thing either.

Cheers, Dan

YOU'LL LEARN NO HARM FROM THE HILLS - NEWTON MCCONOCHIE

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards