Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Encounters with other wildlife (Read 2777 times)
Huttboynz
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Encounters with other wildlife
Apr 29th, 2018 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
One trip in 2012,I was lying down from a decent vantage point, with the barrel poking out over a edge,anticipating a stag that had been answering my roars to show its face. When suddenly a little robin perched itself on the end of my barrel, I found this very amusing and enjoyed this little encounter. Iíve had many other unexpected incidents etc as well,as Iím sure most have had. It just adds to the whole hunting experience I find. Anyone else had strange quirky incidents while out in the backcountry?

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

Re: Encounters with other wildlife
Reply #1 - Apr 29th, 2018 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
wekas are very entertaining had 1 follow us for a good 45mins in fiordland, just waddled along behind us.

also had 1 come into the bivvy at 3am and thought it was a good place to start squawking to its mates, gave a hell of a fright

IP Logged

CeeJ
Just Joined

Reply #2 - Apr 29th, 2018 at 3:08pm
Print Post  
Seen a Weka take a fantail clean out of the air

IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Reply #3 - Apr 29th, 2018 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
Had a fantail come into my upstairs lounge few days ago.Flew around the lounge,cheeking out stag heads and fish trophys.Flew along remu ceilings looking for bugs.Stayed inside for about 20 minuts then decide the trees out side might provide more bugs to eat.Friendly little fellow.

Shot a few deer,caugth some big trout and salmon

IP Logged

dvostvo

i'll be back at 5 to ....

Reply #4 - Apr 29th, 2018 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
watched a stoat come up out of the bracken and thick stuff one afternoon opposite the Boyd Hut ..how the hell did it get there ? ...kept still as and it passsed me by about 3m away ..was linning it up with the 243 when my mate says ..."shhhhhissh quiet , i see a deer below us .." luccky bugger...

holy smoke ..did ya see the size of that lil buga !
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Deathwind
Donor Member

Keen hunter

Reply #5 - Apr 29th, 2018 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
I had a black and a common coloured fantail jointly land on my hill stick last week when I offered it to them. Mate was with me and thought it pretty cool.

IP Logged

madpig
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #6 - Apr 29th, 2018 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
Have had a pet sheep follow me round for about 30minutes while i was pig hunting, was a good laugh Grin

IP Logged

Stretch
Donor Member

Reply #7 - Apr 29th, 2018 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
Too many to mention really, but the one that sticks out most is watching a falcon do a vertical dive out of the sky on to a magpie that had strayed a bit close to its nest...just about killed them both

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #8 - Apr 29th, 2018 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
CeeJ wrote on Apr 29th, 2018 at 3:08pm:
Seen a Weka take a fantail clean out of the air

Wow - would have liked to have seen that.

The Piwakawaka's are quite tame around here - our door is always open and we get them in quite a lot - had one that would park up on my exposed ridge beam overnight - then next day would be merrily on its way again.
The cat learned he wasn't allowed to chase that one.

I'd like to have seen that Falcon too - saw one going for a pigeon whilst eeling in the Kaimanawa's - dive, dive, dive and at the last minute the pigeon jinked and it missed.
Then up, up, up and he was into his second dive when they went behind the hill.

Probably the funniest though was chasing a Weka around my possum camp that was trailing a length of shit smeared toilet paper it had snatched out of my hand as I was dropping it in the hole.
When I was under canvas they'd come in and tug at your bootlaces - or even pull the boots outside when you had them off - no fear those things.

Another one was on Stewart Island, sheltering hard against the bole of a big tree in a downpour when a Kiwi stepped out of the fern, plonked its foot on mine and kept on like I wasn't there.
Gave me quite a shock - thought it was a small deer for a second or so.

My current favourite is a blackbird and he's always out there when I'm plucking tobacco leaves. Scruffiest blackbird I think I've ever seen, got one white wing feather and he comes in real close to get the caterpillars I get off the leaves. Haven't quite got him to take them out of my finger tips - yet.
Likes a good shower with the hose that bird.

And then we had a magpie - and he lived inside too.
He'd sit out on the top of my tomato trellis and one day I was washing the dishes and right through the window I could see him getting soggier and soggier in a thumping downpour.
When I'd finished I went out and brought him in and hairblowed him dry.
I liked that bird - then one day he was gone - never saw him again.

Part of the game mate - you'll see lots of things like that.

IP Logged

sam
Donor Member

Reply #9 - Apr 30th, 2018 at 5:06am
Print Post  
    Had many such happenings,, some good some not so good.

One not so good was once when doing an overnighter in the Makiro gorge  I had a rat crawl into my sleeping bag for what reason I will never know,,, and one thing I hate is rats . I slept the rest of the night with the top of my fart sack closed tight over my head .

The most recent and most scary was only a few weeks ago. As some on here know I'm an overstayer in Ontario Canada, apart from fishing and hunting my greatest love is photography, so any chance I get I'm sneaking around with my camera . There are tricks to getting wildlife pic's and one of mine for foxes is to bait or call them .

So this particular day I left the jeep on the side of the road and trudged off into the bush with some leftover venison road kill I had picked up,, the snow was about knee deep and temp was a nice minus 26 . About 300 m from the road I found fresh fox tracks so set my bait and crawled into some brush to hide ,,, now the waiting game ,, and how long can I sit tight without freezing my knackers off.

It didn't take long and Mr Fox arrived ,,, just ghosted up the airflow of scent,, I moved and he was gone again,, so next trick , out came the phone which I have downloaded to rabbit distress calls  , only a few minutes passed and I see him sneaking up behind some spruce trees ,, I cant get a good shot with the camera and then he is gone,,,,,,, geeeez all that just to freeze , so I'm out of there.

Back out to the jeep and I waste no time in climbing in and starting the engine to get some heat into my self,, the was another car a little down the road so went to see if they were ok, they were but the guy tells me they had just been watching a big arsed cat trying to cross the frozen lake ( cougar) ,,, took a while to sink in the bloody thing was trying to come to my rabbit calls .If that guy hadn't told me I would never known. The whole deal has put the fear into me  because now the bears are coming out of hibernation and they are hungry,,,,,,, I do not want to be feed for anything .

YIM  
IP Logged

sar
Donor Member

Reply #10 - Apr 30th, 2018 at 7:55am
Print Post  
Ran into these guys ,mum had done a runner.  https://youtu.be/FX3i8T_W3Z0

IP Logged

Tom N
Donor Member

Reply #11 - Apr 30th, 2018 at 9:08am
Print Post  
Just last week in Fiordland we were standing on the river bank waiting for the chopper when a Falcon came racing down the river chasing two teal ducks, I estimate they were doing about 75kmh, one of the ducks pulled up vertical, they other hit the water to dive going flat out, no idea if he damaged anything, but the falcon missed out on a meal, although he sat there for ages waiting for the duck to surface.

It was pretty impressive to nature happening right in front of you.

ďA man never stands as tall as when he kneels to help a child.Ē

IP Logged

Huttboynz
Just Joined

Reply #12 - Apr 30th, 2018 at 9:26am
Print Post  
Madpig thatís a hard case, you could have bailed the pig with the sheep! Some great storyís there lads.

IP Logged

Lou Nunn
Donor Member

Reply #13 - Apr 30th, 2018 at 11:39am
Print Post  
Kea are a common encounter down here in the south, I was hunting in the Landsborough late one arvo in early winter , it was bloody cold so two of us were huddled up under a large overhanging rock glassing a large slip on the bush line when crap started to fall on our heads. We looked up and saw nothing the first time but then it continued to happen and we saw a Kea  would hang over the edge of the rock and drop stuff on us then climb back up and disappear before doing it again . Here's a photo of the cheeky bugger.

IP Logged

mpm1956
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #14 - Apr 30th, 2018 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
Few years ago had a Woodhill ballot. Walking in along track in the half light saw a deer ahead. We stopped and it carried on towards us. Walked right up and began nuzzling. Turned out to be a young spiker. After 10 minutes of this we had to carry on. The little fellow kept on following us. Eventually we split up but an hour or so later we met up again. I asked my mate where his friend was. He said "look behind me". It had carried on following him and would eat biscuits from his hand when he stopped. Tied my WFMgt tag on a loose string round his neck and eventually lost him in the thinnings. Never did hear if anyone else came across him. Can only assume it was a pet which had been let go. Bummer of a place to release a pet deer.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards