Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Pup over exercising? (Read 898 times)
BullTahrz

Pup over exercising?
Apr 29th, 2018 at 10:52am
Print Post  
I have a 6 month old German pointer that I have been warned not to over exercise. Im looking for some advise on this? He loves getting out and about, Im reasonably active and if it was up to him Im sure he would run around all day.

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Pup over exercising?
Reply #1 - Apr 29th, 2018 at 11:36am
Print Post  
Try an EP pup. Keen to run all day and like the wind. Ours is 9 months old and ran for bloody miles the other day including over a range.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #2 - Apr 29th, 2018 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
Couple of thoughts. Young dogs are not fully developed in the muscle/tendon/joints dept, so take it easy. Once injured a second injury is common. The other thing is maybe your  breed is particulary susceptable to injury.

Others on here will know..  Smiley

We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.
IP Logged

Maddoghunter
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Apr 29th, 2018 at 11:08pm
Print Post  
Ive heard all sorts of theories on this. Mostly from people that seem to know what theyre talking about.
Common thing with all of them is that pups skeleton etc isnt fully developed so try to avoid doing things which may damage it (jumping off utes etc).

IP Logged

Rugerman
Donor Member

Bow Wow

Reply #4 - Apr 30th, 2018 at 8:46am
Print Post  
Yep Smiley and the faster growing breeds are at more risk than the slower growing ones.
As MadDogHunter says, avoid big jumps up and down as they can shock the joints and ligaments etc...
Best to exercise them on foot rather than riding a bike/motorbike ( that's not the dog riding the bike although ya might get a few hits on ewe tube ). That way you get tired too so would be less inclined to run the dog to the damage point.

headcase wrote on Apr 29th, 2018 at 6:35pm:
Couple of thoughts. Young dogs are not fully developed in the muscle/tendon/joints dept, so take it easy. Once injured a second injury is common. The other thing is maybe your breed is particulary susceptable to injury.

Others on here will know.. Smiley

IP Logged

LOVETT
Forum Font

Hunting the Kaweka, Ruahine
& Tararua Forest Parks

Reply #5 - Apr 30th, 2018 at 9:01am
Print Post  
0-12 months is really frustrating as a handler and dog perspective.  Follow what the others have said.

YOU'LL LEARN NO HARM FROM THE HILLS - NEWTON MCCONOCHIE

IP Logged

BullTahrz

Reply #6 - Apr 30th, 2018 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
Thank you for the info guys.

Do you think going for a 6km run after work be too much for him? About 30min. He would be off lead.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #7 - Apr 30th, 2018 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
Maybe, I have the feeling it might be pushing it at 6 months.

?

We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.
IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #8 - Apr 30th, 2018 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
Not for our dog. Loves it. Really down to how fast you go and what surface. If the dog views it as play they just run within their capacity. We run down river or on mates farm.

IP Logged

LOVETT
Forum Font

Hunting the Kaweka, Ruahine
& Tararua Forest Parks

Reply #9 - May 2nd, 2018 at 6:51am
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Apr 30th, 2018 at 4:09pm:
Maybe, I have the feeling it might be pushing it at 6 months.

?

+1

I wouldn't but probably isn't the end of the world.

From a handling perspective - at 6 months I wouldn't be running with the dog as mixing the two activities makes it too easy to let the running take precedent over correct handling. 

At 6 months the dog is just old and quick enough to cause a bit of trouble.  I would be sticking to training separately and running solo, in another few months you'll be away.

Cheers, Dan

YOU'LL LEARN NO HARM FROM THE HILLS - NEWTON MCCONOCHIE

IP Logged

stug
Forum Font

Reply #10 - May 2nd, 2018 at 7:33am
Print Post  
Let the pup exercise it self. Take it down the river or somewhere for a walk and let it run itself. For a pup little and often is a good rule of thumb.

IP Logged

Stagrinon
Donor Member

No pain No gain.

Reply #11 - May 2nd, 2018 at 10:51am
Print Post  
I had some issues with my Lab pup at 6mnths which we followed up with X- Rays etc.

She went lame for about 6 weeks, while we sorted out anti inflams,  Stuck in kennel, toilet on a lead etc.

We think this went back to an injury rather than over exercise,  But I did do a lot of research into growth plates etc. which will keep growing for 12-15th months basically until your dog is fully grown. 

It was explained to me that your dog really doesnt have an off switch, so will run and run with you.    Therefore over exercise is easy to do  and your dog may not show up problems instantly, so damage can be caused without you really knowing until it is too late. 

Luckily, long term, shes now 18mnths, we have no problem, But had the plates been damaged permanently, we could have ended up with a shorterned  or twisted leg. $$$$ to correct

Young dogs are most vulnerable to this kind of damage when  they still have growing to do.

Take it easy, and exercise in  short bursts, Your GSP at that age will probably be exercising itself sufficiently, tearing around the garden  etc.    I have a a few mates who have older GSPs  2-3years old and they will run them behind their truck for a few Ks  just to keep the energy levels down a bit  .. Grin   

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards