Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic De-lamination of MSR tent fly (Read 638 times)
Pete_Tong

Have it!

De-lamination of MSR tent fly
Apr 27th, 2018 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
My MSR Hubba 1 man tent fly is starting to get sticky and the seam sealing is peeling away. Its obviously starting to de-laminate. I went through this a couple of years ago with a North Face tent and ended up messing around cleaning up the old coating and re-applying a new waterproof layer. Waste of time! Its just a toy for the kids now Sad

When I got the MSR I store the fly in a pillow case as loose as possible and it sits in a wardrobe with a de-humidifier. Never put away dirty / wet. Anyone have any ideas how to stop this happening moving forwards?? I reckon I have another year, maybe 2 before the MSR will be in the bin which is a royal p1ss off.

Might just be part and parcel of living in Akl with higher humidity but I thought the dehumidifier would take care of that.

Cheers
PT

IP Logged

scoped
Forum Font

Re: De-lamination of MSR tent fly
Reply #1 - Apr 29th, 2018 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
ring ampro and get it replaced

Anticipation is half the fun!

IP Logged

yamboon

Reply #2 - Apr 29th, 2018 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
Had exactly the same problem with mine, most probably 5+ years old, moderate use. The leaking progressively got worse so rang Ampro as they advertise a replacement fly but turns out it will not fit our older tents. They offered a replacement NX @ 40% discount but require you send the old tent in. Just be aware the cut of the new NX fly is different and the inner has more mesh - better airflow & slightly lighter. Its a bit colder but less condensation. Seems it is the price we pay for going light.

IP Logged

Pete_Tong

Have it!

Reply #3 - Apr 30th, 2018 at 10:08am
Print Post  
Cool, I will call Ampro and see what they say. Mine is the green fly, sounds like the new red coloured ones are a different fit.
Cheers

IP Logged

Parky

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #4 - Apr 30th, 2018 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
Let us know how u go, I have the yellow colour and was a bit sticky I found a wash with wash and fresh dwt treatment from msr got it better. Giles in taihape gets it in reasonably.

It aint going down if it aint double brown

IP Logged

outdoorlad
Forum Font

Reply #5 - May 1st, 2018 at 11:41am
Print Post  
My fly on my Hubba Hubba is doing the same, let us know how you get on?

IP Logged

Pete_Tong

Have it!

Reply #6 - May 1st, 2018 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
Spoke to the guy at Ampro who said to get it sent down for review. Its in the post now so I'll see what happens....

IP Logged

popoff
Forum Senior

Beer,Bait & Bullets

Reply #7 - May 2nd, 2018 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
Yip had the same thing happen to mine about 3yr ago. It was only 3yr old & had maybe been used over night 20 times. Ampro told me it was because i had stored it rolled up, not sure if that effects it or not, but they replaced it without question or inspection of the faulty one, which made me suspect at the time that they must have had a few back with the same problem. I store the new one loosely .

IP Logged

Pete_Tong

Have it!

Reply #8 - May 9th, 2018 at 8:25am
Print Post  
RESULT! Ampro replaced the fly with a new one. In fact it came back so soon I thought the package was just returned to sender.
Nice work Ampro  Cheesy

IP Logged

Buckshot
Just Joined

Reply #9 - May 9th, 2018 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
I have dad exactly the same thing happen to my Marmot tent which is about 5 years old. Leaks like a siv.

Was going to have a go at re-waterproofing and re-sealing the seams. Do you not reckon it will fix it's waterproofness??

IP Logged

Pete_Tong

Have it!

Reply #10 - May 11th, 2018 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
I went through all that a couple of years ago with a Northface 2P tent. Cleaned up the old waterproofing and applied a new coating then painted the seams with the sealing compound. What a mission, I would not do it again. The tent is stuffed now, just a kids playhouse. I reckon it was on its last legs. I found it a whole heap of work and really just polishing a turd.
Good luck if you go for it. Maybe some other forum users have had more success, not me though

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards