Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Tahr skull/horns question (Read 1735 times)
Scroopa
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Tahr skull/horns question
Apr 26th, 2018 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
Heading over in a few weeks for my first crack, with any luck I'll be bringing home a bull.

If I get lucky enough to get one, do inneed to anything special with skull or horns after caping out? Eg do inneed to remove horns etc??

Cheers

IP Logged

Deathwind
Donor Member

Keen hunter

Re: Tahr skull/horns question
Reply #1 - Apr 28th, 2018 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
If you are caping to have mounted, then taxidermist will remove horns from bases when you give to them. Just put in freezer with your head skin when you get home. If staying in a hut and wanting to just clean your skull up yourself , then boil and pop horns of the skull. Again you could do this at home. Horns do need to be removed and the membrane of bone cores removed to stop insects eating them years later. Might be a bit smelly but horns can be left on skulls for a week or two with out damage.

IP Logged

Deathwind
Donor Member

Keen hunter

Re: Tahr skull/horns question
Reply #2 - Apr 28th, 2018 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
Just noted you are taking back to Aus. In this case will  have to be removed from skull before taking back. You better check at your end whats required , rules have become much stricter of late,  and unlikely to be able to just take back a boiled skull and salted hide any more.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards