Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Awsome sika roar. (Read 2458 times)
Hookah

One sniff away from death.

Awsome sika roar.
Apr 24th, 2018 at 1:32pm
Print Post  
Just got out of the bush yesterday, had a great trip shot two stags in 5 days.

The bigger of the two stags I got, was one of the most exciting hunts I have had.
I was on my way to an area I have hunted a lot in the last few years. I was fly camping and had enough food for Tess and I for a five day fly camp.

On the way I stopped in the area that I had my trail camera last year and tried to roar out an old eight pointer that ruts there. I heard him roar a couple of times but he was too smart to be fooled by me. I missed him on a long range shot a few years ago (pre dial up scope) and he has not come out of the jungle that surrounds his territory ever again, not for my roars anyway.
I continued further towards an area where I know another stag ruts, but as I traveled a main ridge, on route I heard a moan deep in an adjacent valley. Part of me said, keep going and get to the area where you know a really nice spot to hunt, then I though "a bird in the hand", and the light breeze was perfect for us.

Tess was winding and confirming there were deer down there. So we sneaked down trying to make as little noise as possible, the country was quite open for Kaweka bush. I could see 70 to 80 metres in places but when I narrowed the gap to about 150 meters to the stag, it choked up again so I picked a vantage spot to roar from.  Now I could hear not only the stag I originally heard from the main ridge but two stags challenging each other. I joined in and we roared back and forth, one stag was on a spur to my left and the other on another spur to my right.  I knew if I tried to get closer through the thick bush I would blow it as they both knew exactly where I was. Tess was trembling uncontrollably, this told me they were really close.

The roaring between us went on for over two hours but neither of them materialized. I wondered if the spur to my right would be a little more open and allow me to get a little closer and maybe get a glimpse of one of them. So I retraced my steps back to the main ridge, Tess couldn't understand why we were walking the wrong way and kept walking at an angle towards the stags. I had to signal her to stay with me even though it made no sense to her.

Once we got onto the right hand spur we again started our stalk towards the two stags. When I got to about 100 meters the bush closed in once again, these guys had picked their rutting grounds really well. I re-joined the roaring chorus, I now could hear not only the two stags but hinds giving squeals and the grunting noise when stags chase hinds trying to mate.  I knew it wasn't me alarming the hinds as the wind was still flowing perfectly and consistently.I don't think I ever had the wind stay in my favor in such a crucial time as this, for so long, Tess was once more shaking out of her skin and frankly it was beginning to transfer to me.
After another two more hours, nearly four hours in total, I finally saw a stag weaving through the bush trying to cut my wind. I fired as quickly as I could put the cross hairs on his shoulder as I knew if he got the slightest whiff he would disappear into the tangle from which he came. It all went deafeningly quiet. I walked over a small rise and as I peered over there he was in the bottom of a steep sided stream, Tess was already there having her customary chew. 

I have to wonder what the other stag was like, I will have to put a trail camera in the area next year.   

« Last Edit: Apr 25th, 2018 at 12:18pm by Hookah »  

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Awsome sika roar.
Reply #1 - Apr 24th, 2018 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
Exciting don't cut it, I think getting up close in tight cover  with love sick stags is about as good as sidecar racing for quickening the pulse. loved you report Hookah, sadly I cant see your photos.

IP Logged

Hookah

Reply #2 - Apr 24th, 2018 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
Not sure if this will work on your computer but it worked for me.

Ive discovered this work around for firefox browsers and Chrome browsers.
For Firefox   https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/photobucket-fix/?src=api
For Chrome https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliih

Add this addon to your browser and all the photobucket images come back up... Grin

IP Logged

Nick.m
Forum Font

Reply #3 - Apr 24th, 2018 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
That is a superb stag mate. Photos weren't showing for me either but I just clicked on the image and it took me to an album of yours in photo bucket showing the stags.

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

Reply #4 - Apr 24th, 2018 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
Far out, that's a couple of nice stags, well done.

IP Logged

sandgroper47
Forum Senior

Reply #5 - Apr 24th, 2018 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
SmileyFantastic, mate. You really put in the hard yards, and it yields great results. Well done. Cool

IP Logged

Rumpy
Donor Member

Wishing I was out in the
hills.

Reply #6 - Apr 25th, 2018 at 10:16am
Print Post  
Very exciting read, Cheers.

.270 WIN   AWESOME SINCE 1925       "REMEMBER THE 6 P's" POOR PREPARATION PROVIDES PISS POOR PERFORMANCE

IP Logged

Krico
Forum Font

Reply #7 - Apr 25th, 2018 at 11:35am
Print Post  
Thanks for the photobucket viewing fix  Wink  beauty stag and well done on persisting to get the "bird in the hand . . ."
Nice report and good reward for hard work. Fun too ay?  Wink

IP Logged

trusty222
Donor Member

"HOT BARRELS AND SAGGING
TAIL LINES"

Reply #8 - Apr 28th, 2018 at 6:01am
Print Post  
Nice one  Smiley, yep, up close and personal is fun, Great look dog is Tess!

Hot barrels

DOG TRAINING "GET IT RIGHT THE 1ST TIME & TRAIN FOR SUCCESS"
WWW.BCL.KIWI
IP Logged

Hookah

Reply #9 - May 3rd, 2018 at 9:08am
Print Post  
Thanks for the good looking dog comment trusty 222, means a lot coming from you, she is a boarder collie x g.s.p, brought her from a pet shop for 190 dollars, had two pure g.s.p's before here but she has been the best by far.

IP Logged

sikaslayer1
Forum Senior

Reply #10 - May 18th, 2018 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
Well done Alf. What a great hunt! Super exciting to get so close and to do it with Tess is the real bonus!

IP Logged

264Magic
Donor Member

Reply #11 - May 19th, 2018 at 10:40am
Print Post  
choysa well done,,far better than beating up old woman and doing pee

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards