Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 6.5mm Norma Vulkan 156gr (Read 931 times)
SF90
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

6.5mm Norma Vulkan 156gr
Apr 22nd, 2018 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
Hello chaps, was wondering if anyone had any experience shooting the above bullet out of the smaller 6.5's - Jap, Carcano, MS - or even the Swede.
And how you felt it performed on deer size game out to 100 yards - if anyone has done that.

And the reason I ask is I can't get my favourite 156gr Norma Alaska RN any more.
I have used the 139gr Vulkan and they performed very well on deer out to 100yds - and I can't get them either.

Cheers

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Re: 6.5mm Norma Vulkan 156gr
Reply #1 - Apr 22nd, 2018 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
Well ........... guess I'll find out for myself - bought two hundred of them.

IP Logged

Husky 1600
Donor Member

Reply #2 - Apr 24th, 2018 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
I used the Vulcan projectiles many years ago in the 6.5x55 - cant fault them, great killing projectile. But they dont have a flash BC, so probably not your go to long range projectile, out to 300, excellent

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #3 - Apr 24th, 2018 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
partitions are said to be the bees knees in the swede.....

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #4 - Apr 24th, 2018 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
I'm shooting the baby to the Swede - the Greek 6.5x54 and it doesn't have the same legs.
I think I've fired one shot beyond 100 yards with that - most of the others I've fired at game being well under 50.
I've got a 24" barrel on this gun (Haenal GEW 88) and should be able to achieve 22/2300 fps with the 156gr and 24/2500 with the 140gr weights.
Both my old Norma's worked very well, but now unavailable - hence trying the 156gr Vulkan.
The difficulty with that bullet is it requires around 1800fps to initiate expansion, so at best it'll be a short range proposition.
And like Husky said - BC is rotten.

And MD - a lot of guys like the 140gr Partition, works well for them - but the thing here is I had one pinhole through a deer out of my 7x57 - and while that was a lot of years ago, I still feel sour about it.

In reality - I should park that gun up, but I have a soft spot for it, besides - my son uses it for its soft recoil.

And thanks for the responses - appreciate it.
« Last Edit: Apr 25th, 2018 at 1:59pm by SF90 »  

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #5 - Apr 25th, 2018 at 11:54am
Print Post  
For those interested - I have a couple of packs of the old Norma 139gr soft point Tri-clad bullets, plus a 20 pack of factory loaded Norma cartridges with the same bullet.
Filing the soft lead point flush to the jacket gives me a 3.5mm metplat which feeds through the magazine without catching the lip - looks just like a Vulkan without the folded lip.
I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier, they've sat in a drawer for over thirty years - just a matter of trying them now.

IP Logged

6.5killar
Just Joined

Reply #6 - Apr 25th, 2018 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
In the same boat! Brought 156 g vulkans for my 6.5x55. Have only shot once which was two days ago at a jap stag at 2m in the head. Shot didn't tell me much about the bullet† †Grin

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #7 - Apr 25th, 2018 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
6.5killar wrote on Apr 25th, 2018 at 5:14pm:
In the same boat! Brought 156 g vulkans for my 6.5x55. Have only shot once which was two days ago at a jap stag at 2m in the head. Shot didn't tell me much about the bullet† †Grin

The big plus here is that it popped out the end of your barrel and traveled that two meters - might have a higher BC than we think.
And for me, that's promising - just might have to get in a bit closer than my traditional thirty yards.

What isn't promising is I'm sitting here grizzling about not being able to find my old bullets and you are out there doing it with the new ones.

Maybe I should get off my bum.

IP Logged

Jackfish
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #8 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
I've never used the 6.5mm Norma Vulkan 156gr from the swede but do use the 140gr partitions, they are very good at stopping the Sika & Red stags here in Scotland. I'm pushing them at around 2750fps with no complaints at all.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #9 - Jun 13th, 2018 at 11:32pm
Print Post  
Jackfish wrote on Jun 13th, 2018 at 8:13pm:
I've never used the 6.5mm Norma Vulkan 156gr from the swede but do use the 140gr partitions, they are very good at stopping the Sika & Red stags here in Scotland. I'm pushing them at around 2750fps with no complaints at all.

I've read of blokes overseas using the 140 gr Partition in the smaller 6.5's to good effect, but I've been a little leery of trying them since I had one pinhole through quite a large stag out of my 7x57.
And to be fair to that bullet, it went high, through the top of the lungs and encountered no bone - and most bullets back then would have done the same.

I went to round nose bullets after that - the 156 gr Alaska's out of the 6.5 and 175 gr German DWM's out of my 7mm - and both those bullets open very quickly and almost always exit.
I also used the 139 gr Vulkan's out the 6.5 at bush ranges and they were equally good, but Norma stopped making them a long time ago.

I did recently pick up an old pack (97) of the 156 gr RN Triclad Norma Alaska bullets and they were the best bullet I used in that gun, and while they still make that bullet, but with a gilding metal jacket - you can't get them here.
Those bullets will last me now.

Incidentally, I believe the 1980's British (?) Deer Act forbids the use of that 6.5 Mannlicher round in England and Wales due to insufficient energy figures at the specified range, but out to 100 yds those heavy, slow bullets (2,200 MV) have put some heavy animals down for me, and light bodied ones - don't ever recall losing one.

IP Logged

J
Donor Member

Per Ardua

Reply #10 - Jun 14th, 2018 at 9:07am
Print Post  
If my memory serves me well, the legal limit in the UK is 1700 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle for red, roe, fallow and sika. For muntjac and Chinese Water Deer itís 1000 foot pounds. Details here in the unlikely event that anyone is interested.

https://basc.org.uk/cop/deer-stalking/

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #11 - Jun 14th, 2018 at 9:31am
Print Post  
Cheers J

The smaller 6.5's, the Jap, Carcano and MS all fail to meet the velocity requirement with the heavier bullets - 140 and 160 gr.

I guess the British aren't into handloading because I'm fairly sure you'd easily meet those requirement with a lighter bullet - the 129 gr for instance which should get up to 2,650 MV.
Got no energy figures for that bullet, but they should be sufficient.
The rub there though - is they may not be too accurate out of the tight twist barrels - I've never shot them.

Curious though - all those smaller Military 6.5's have upended some very large animals all across the globe for a very long time.
They do have the trajectory of a football though - and that may be a consideration as regards those rules.

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Reply #12 - Jun 14th, 2018 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
I like the partition ,I think  I still have some 140gr ones which were lathe turned and have cut out area over the partition to reduce pressure , If I can find them I'll post a pic .
I have found that a lot of old Norma ammo with the steel jackets can have corrosion between the projectile and the case neck and the powder can be wet , it would pay to check . I think most of that ammo was in a "wood look" cardboard box .
The 6.5 Mannlicher was a favorite big game round in the old days , it was highly regarded for its penetration on Elephants etc when using the 160 gr round nosed solid.
The best 6.5 projectile I ever used was the Nosler solid base 140 gr ( lead tip). and the SB 120 gr was a very good bullet as well , It is a pity they dont make it any more .

Shooting is the most fun you can legally have with your clothes on .
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

Matt-JC
Donor Member

Hunting & Mtbing

Reply #13 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
Hand-loading the hornady 129gn SST out of a T3 6.5x55 results in a Rifle that is capable of taking down reds or long range varminting. The 8.5" twist doesn't seem to pose a problem.
Currently loading 143gn ELD-X in Norma Brass with velocities around 2,690 FPS and they are super accurate from my suppressed T3. Barrel is 22" length. Using 45.1gn of AR2209.
Dropped a Fallow deer last weekend with a shot from slightly above, and across a valley, at 234m distance. bullet entered at the top, and just behind the left shoulder, and traveled all the way through, lodging just under the skin, in front of the right hind-quarter. The animal just dropped instantly.
Projectile mushroomed perfectly, and stayed mostly intact.

I have heard the ELD-M expands better at greater distances.

there is always plenty of time for procrastination.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #14 - Jun 16th, 2018 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
I bought 4 packs of the 140 gr Amax after reading up on them - thought they were the answer to my problems, but on 2 reds I shot - they didn't work at all well.
I managed to scratch them both down, but was very disappointed with performance. I found two pass-through's between the ribs on the off side that showed no expansion, one shoulder shot that shattered on bone and the other two did what they were supposed to do with one still broadside and the other angled through the ribs into the lungs - first time I've ever emptied a magazine - five shots in all.
The first two should have done it - and I think they were the 'pass-through's' - both avoiding heavy bone behind the front leg, mid height on broadside animals.
Normally I'd only take the one deer, but we were close to the car and I wanted the meat - one shot for each and then I realised it wasn't happening.
I never found a mushroomed bullet - just bits of lead, jacket material and the cups. The two that did work did a lot of internal damage, so in that respect - they did their job.
I won't be using them again - not on anything.
And they were close range - probably thirty/forty feet out.

Every one likes those bullets - I read Nathan Foster's studies on them and never heard anything bad about them. Velocity would be 2.400 fps at impact and should have been in the zone - so yeah, very disappointing.

I re-read Nathan after that episode and he does recommend them for lighter framed animals - goats, fallow and the like - and I did load them for a fallow hunt - just never fired them.

The only other bullet I tried that performed similar were 140 gr Sierra's. Very dramatic killers on broadside shots - almost 'grenaded' inside the animal - but no penetration.

Back to my 160 gr round noses now - bought two packs of Interlock RN's from Gunworks - just in case I shoot all my Alaska's - not likely.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards