Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Waipakihi river fishing? (Read 407 times)
Penguinbait

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Waipakihi river fishing?
Apr 19th, 2018 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
Am in there for a hunt soon, is it worth taking a rod?  Will be a hike down to the river but trout for dinner might be good.....  Presume spinning OK in there.

IP Logged

Chaff

Active member yes, active
hunter no :-(

Re: Waipakihi river fishing?
Reply #1 - Apr 19th, 2018 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
no trout Sad Someone else will tell you why, hydro scheme or just waterfall/ rapids i think

IP Logged

TJ
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

EBRG forever- Cher, cher
Bro

Reply #2 - Apr 20th, 2018 at 10:24am
Print Post  
What he said. There are trout but they are very bloody small i.e. 15-20 cms, you would need a shit load to get a feed

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

Reply #3 - Apr 20th, 2018 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
TJ wrote on Apr 20th, 2018 at 10:24am:
What he said. There are trout but they are very bloody small i.e. 15-20 cms, you would need a shit load to get a feed

What TJ said, they are easy to catch on little spinners, my kids loved catching them when we often camp there in the late 80s early 90s

IP Logged

dribbler

Reply #4 - Apr 20th, 2018 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
The hatchery drop a trailer load in the dam every now and then.When the lights were going on the structure it was better for size.Good size fish in the spilling pond after a topping or maintenance.

IP Logged

Huntsouth
Forum Font

Reply #5 - Apr 21st, 2018 at 10:46am
Print Post  
Since the Tongariro hydro scheme was completed in 1982, trout cannot get past the dam into the upper Tongariro gorge that leads into the Waipakihi River. Prior to the dam completion rainbow trout were up to the 8 lb class, usually holding in the lower Waipakahi. Earth works in the lower Waipakihi River removing shingle for the dam project stripped fish habitat and whats left are a mere shadow of yesterday. There use to be two bailey bridges crossing the Waipakihi that got your vehicles a few more kms up valley at the end of Waipakihi road. I was there on the day the last bridge was pulled out (think 1983?) and was also caught in a huge slip across the road where the construction engineers used a front end loader to get my vehicle out.  Smiley

And to add more history - two or three rafters attempted to tube the upper Tongariro river through the gorge to the dam. I believe all killed from memory - again this occurred back in the 80's.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards