Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Cleaning cases a different way (Read 917 times)
sako
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Cleaning cases a different way
Apr 18th, 2018 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
A dude on FB from USA is using an ice cream maker using Lemishine and dishwash liquid to clean his cases. They look prety good and no SSM required.

http://www.rivalproducts.com/desserts/rival-ice-cream-maker-2-quart-red/FRRVBK02...

IP Logged

J
Donor Member

Per Ardua

Re: Cleaning cases a different way
Reply #1 - Apr 19th, 2018 at 8:37am
Print Post  
My method is even easier - I donít clean them.
All I do is uniform the pockets and run a brush through the neck a couple of times

Mate used to run his through a washing machine tied up in a sock.

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #2 - Apr 23rd, 2018 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
Have bought a couple of cheapie ice cream makers off TM to experiment.

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #3 - May 3rd, 2018 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
Have tried this method.Dont overload the i/c maker and it does a very nice job. Wink

IP Logged

stug
Forum Font

Reply #4 - May 4th, 2018 at 8:07am
Print Post  
I use citric acid and diswashing liquid in an ice cream container. Works pretty well, but doesn't really clean out the primer pockets or right down inside the case like SSM would. But I'm happy with it.

IP Logged

J
Donor Member

Per Ardua

Reply #5 - May 5th, 2018 at 7:44am
Print Post  
I just donít think cleaning cases has anything but a cosmetic effect. I trialled loads using both tumbled and uncleared loads years ago and there was no effect on accuracy. I donít bother now other than primer pockets and I get good ES and accuracy in both my rifles. If I wanted wanted clean cases I would give them a rub with steel wool.

Citric acid does do a good job, though.

IP Logged

6.5x55bjai

Reply #6 - May 5th, 2018 at 10:37am
Print Post  
J wrote on May 5th, 2018 at 7:44am:
I just donít think cleaning cases has anything but a cosmetic effect. I trialled loads using both tumbled and uncleared loads years ago and there was no effect on accuracy. I donít bother now other than primer pockets and I get good ES and accuracy in both my rifles. If I wanted wanted clean cases I would give them a rub with steel wool.

Citric acid does do a good job, though.

Ah, J, a man after my own heart.

I have been reloading so long now it is no longer an enjoyable hobby but just a necessary task to produce high quality ammo. As such I have eliminated unnecessary steps one of those being intensive brass cleaning after every firing.

I no longer dry tumble -  doesnít clean inside the brass or inside primer pockets but leaves behind an abrasive dust that needs to be blown out. I no longer ultrasonic clean Ė too damn longwinded and depending upon if you add chemicals it can mess with the alloy and gives irregular neck tension on the next loading. I no longer SS pins clean Ė too longwinded and it peens my nicely chamfered neck mouths, abrades elsewhere hence the sparkling debris when flushing the SS pins clean afterwards with water. Lots of colour, just like panning for gold.

The obsession that ultra clean brass allows you to easily detect defects is flawed Ė I can easily inspect my brass without it being blindingly bright. In fact SS cleaning may partially hide the detection of insipient head separation.

Thatís not to say I donít clean my brass before loading Ė the inside of the necks are given a clean with a strong nylon brush, the outside is cleaned of carbon (as soon as possible after firing) using a Krazy Kloth and the case is given an overall wipe down and inspection - I am fussy about not getting any crap inside my expensive comp dies. And of course primer pockets are cleaned meticulously although some argue that this is not necessary. 

Also, I seldom, if ever, lost brass out in the hills due to it not being shiny and more easily seen. In fact my fired brass always ended up in the top pocket of my Swanni, something I did automatically without actual recollection of doing it.

IP Logged

stug
Forum Font

Reply #7 - May 5th, 2018 at 11:24am
Print Post  
I'm only cleaning 9mm brass, as some of it ends up with  A LOT of carbon on the brass. Overtime I reckon this will lead to misfeeds or jams.
I dont bother cleaning my rifle brass

IP Logged

6.5x55bjai

Reply #8 - May 5th, 2018 at 12:22pm
Print Post  
Yeah, haven't shot pistol for many moons, but yesgiven what you explain and fact ta it has ended up on the ground I would probably throw it all in the tumbler as soon as I got home.
I find the carbon deposit, with some powders, seems to become more tenacious if left on too long rather than cleaned soon as. Once I used to use white spirits to clean off the black shite.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards