Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Steel 5s (Read 802 times)
chomp2

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Steel 5s
Apr 17th, 2018 at 10:42am
Print Post  
Whatís everyone using in 5 shot size. We use falcon ultra 4s and they patten well but want some 5s as our first two shots for close decoying ducks

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Re: Steel 5s
Reply #1 - Apr 17th, 2018 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
havent seen any....... the ONLY load with smaller shot Ive seen was a clay load going 1100fps so was pitiful...ok for quail or Roll Eyes possum in tree above tent when someone Roll Eyes got the defender out and let rip with whole mag Grin Grin Grin
personally this season I will go back to #2s as Ive still got some #4s left over from 2 seasons ago for first shot and most of our birds are teasing range.

IP Logged

chomp2

Reply #2 - Apr 17th, 2018 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
Haha love the defenders I remember as a kid watching my mates old man shoot one thinking Iím gunna get me one of those one day  Cool. We havenít had any trouble with falcon 4s just thought a box or two of 5s  would be nice over the decoys. I ruined a few ducks last season smoking them close with 4s

IP Logged

mallardbuster
Forum Font

Bad day hunting beats
a good day working

Reply #3 - Apr 18th, 2018 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
Yes have used #5s for the last two years for close up and sometimes in paddock shooting,found duck load that is made by Winchester Australia,mirage #5 works good,density is what you want,kills great and doesnít wreck meat like 3s and 4s, Wink

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #4 - Apr 18th, 2018 at 6:53pm
Print Post  
funny thing is I reckon we ruin less meat with #2s as less hit and those that do pass right through so dont break teeth Grin Grin Grin the mallard hen that sprung up at my feet and got hit with load of #4s at approx 3mtrs didnt look too flash...but I still ate it!!!!only time Ive ever put a wad inside a duck.

IP Logged

QUACKERS
Forum Font

DUCK FEVER NEVER DIES.

Reply #5 - Apr 18th, 2018 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
Best load I've used was 4s in 3.5" federal .cylinder choke

IP Logged

chomp2

Reply #6 - Apr 19th, 2018 at 10:32am
Print Post  
Thanks for the input guys having trouble finding 5s so will just use falcon ultra steel 4s and super steel 3s for longer shots at least we know they pattern well in our guns. Might have to fire a warning shot at the close ones to get them out a bit haha. We shoot from a two story maimai so the birds can be setting 4-5meters from the barrels if decoying well  Cool

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #7 - Apr 19th, 2018 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
chomp....get some 30grm loads for first shot...we had great results with gamebore in #3 its a pain in bum to reload steel as getting components used to be near on impossable,gunworks have got the bits now .a 7/8th oz or 1oz load kills ok and its easy on shoulders BUT NOT EARS
for your situation you could make up an old fashoined spreader load...eg put lots of splits down wad to make it seperate straight away....maybe try winchester Xpert in the 32grm man that is a good load and because shot isnt uniform it help to spread pattern a bit.

IP Logged

chomp2

Reply #8 - Apr 20th, 2018 at 10:25am
Print Post  
Cheers man will do a lap around town tomorrow and see if anyone has any

IP Logged

TLB
Forum Senior

Reply #9 - Apr 21st, 2018 at 11:43am
Print Post  
Steel claybird ammo?
Used to use claybird ammo in a similar situation years ago. First shot or two as they birds were under 15 yards, worked sweet, certainly wouldn't hesitate to do it again. You just have to be mindful that you can only shoot that first shot or two close and not try your luck at birds further out.

AIM  
IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #10 - Apr 21st, 2018 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
TLB we tried some but its too slow (1100fps)for the steel to work (needs to be 1400fps+)....being steel #8s its like using lead #9s or dust and doesnt penertrate well.

IP Logged

dvostvo

i'll be back at 5 to ....

Reply #11 - Apr 29th, 2018 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
claybird 7's work for me ...ooops did i say that .... Shocked

holy smoke ..did ya see the size of that lil buga !
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards