Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Tongariro Red Stags (Read 2319 times)
stagstalker
Donor Member

Work to go Hunting

Tongariro Red Stags
Apr 16th, 2018 at 7:05am
Print Post  
I met up with my Dad the weeekend been to hunt the area I grew up hunting with him. The place is pretty hard hunting and gets a lot of pressure these days with not a lot of animals about. Needless to say we had an awesome hunt and it was time well spent with my old man. Hope you enjoy. Cheers  Smiley

https://youtu.be/ejCU9gbyalk

Sako-Tikka-Howa-Lee Enfield-Franchi-Vortex-Leupold-Black Labrador
YouTube  
IP Logged

TJ
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

EBRG forever- Cher, cher
Bro

Re: Tongariro Red Stags
Reply #1 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 10:14am
Print Post  
Shooting mate

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #2 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
Awesome report Mate,

Was once a special place, you and your dad were the only encounter I  ever had in their  when you were just a little tacker.

Certainly need the Blue camo in there these days, getting a bit like Queen street, have had 6 close encounters with other previously unknown hunters in just the last couple of years.

They got a hammering this year, thats 7 stags taken that I know of, 3 were from us, they were all similar type scrubbers.

IP Logged

timmay

Reply #3 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 11:23pm
Print Post  
How do you find hunting Erua?

IP Logged

stagstalker
Donor Member

Work to go Hunting

Reply #4 - Apr 17th, 2018 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
timmay wrote on Apr 16th, 2018 at 11:23pm:
How do you find hunting Erua?

Very much like the whole area I guess. The deer are there in moderate to low numbers but there is plenty of fun bush to go with it. Just need to get to know an area I guess.

Sako-Tikka-Howa-Lee Enfield-Franchi-Vortex-Leupold-Black Labrador
YouTube  
IP Logged

BC
Donor Member

Reply #5 - Apr 17th, 2018 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
ICEMAN wrote on Apr 16th, 2018 at 2:52pm:
Awesome report Mate,

Was once a special place, you and your dad were the only encounter I  ever had in their  when you were just a little tacker.

Certainly need the Blue camo in there these days, getting a bit like Queen street, have had 6 close encounters with other previously unknown hunters in just the last couple of years.

They got a hammering this year, thats 7 stags taken that I know of, 3 were from us, they were all similar type scrubbers.

Nice Father and Son stuff.

In one day over Easter DOC checked 62 hunters for permits in Tong Forrest.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

Max
Donor Member

Reply #6 - Apr 17th, 2018 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
BC wrote on Apr 17th, 2018 at 12:51pm:
Awesome report Mate,

Yes....and nasty head-on accident on John MacDonald Rd (in the pines) ......ute vs. quad bike. Helicopter ride to Hamilton for the quad rider. So people everywhere.

IP Logged

6x45
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #7 - Apr 17th, 2018 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
nice clip. amazing the people you never see or meet in areas even though you are in the same spots year after year.

IP Logged

BC
Donor Member

Reply #8 - Apr 18th, 2018 at 11:52am
Print Post  
Max wrote on Apr 17th, 2018 at 3:35pm:
Awesome report Mate,

Yes....and nasty head-on accident on John MacDonald Rd (in the pines) ......ute vs. quad bike. Helicopter ride to Hamilton for the quad rider. So people everywhere.

The DOC person said that there were a lot of deer being taken out of the Tong forrest.

His exact words were "it was like the last great Moa hunt".

This particular DOC team is only working in the forrest in pairs because of how busy it is with hunters, and are leaving their work intentions and location on their vehicles and quads. I think that on the traverse DOC have actually put up a notice board of their daily work programs.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

Reply #9 - Apr 18th, 2018 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
BC wrote on Apr 18th, 2018 at 11:52am:
Max wrote on Apr 17th, 2018 at 3:35pm:
Awesome report Mate,

The DOC person said that there were a lot of deer being taken out of the Tong forrest.

His exact words were "it was like the last great Moa hunt".

This particular DOC team is only working in the forrest in pairs because of how busy it is with hunters, and are leaving their work intentions and location on their vehicles and quads. I think that on the traverse DOC have actually put up a notice board of their daily work programs.

we stopped and chatted to a local hunter at Raetihi, he said most hunters from around the area were staying away from most areas due to the dramatic increase in hunting pressure, his words were Phark hunting anywhere around the mountain until way into May, lol
A couple of mates (father and son) bumped into Ian (doc worker) at a hut I suggested they visit on their first Red stag roar hunt together, they were thankful for his added advice and left the mountain with some up close encounters and wonderful memories.

IP Logged

Torana
Forum Font

Hunting and Old Holdens
is what its all about!!

Reply #10 - Apr 23rd, 2018 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
I did a quick trip into Tongariro over the easter weekend. I saw a few other hunters but no more than usual. A few buggers in there growing dope as well now which is a pain. Plus a ute load of guys were parked up watching another ute that was stuck. they refused to help the guy out and just wanted to watch his struggles. one of my party came along on a quad and helped the guy out. While he was helping the guy one of the fellas from the ute stole his jacket of his quad. Angry

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

Reply #11 - Apr 23rd, 2018 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
Torana wrote on Apr 23rd, 2018 at 9:22pm:
I did a quick trip into Tongariro over the easter weekend. I saw a few other hunters but no more than usual. A few buggers in there growing dope as well now which is a pain. Plus a ute load of guys were parked up watching another ute that was stuck. they refused to help the guy out and just wanted to watch his struggles. one of my party came along on a quad and helped the guy out. While he was helping the guy one of the fellas from the ute stole his jacket of his quad. Angry

Probably part of a generation they call the  entitled ones.
Whats happening to this country mate?   

IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Reply #12 - Apr 27th, 2018 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
ICEMAN wrote on Apr 23rd, 2018 at 10:03pm:
Torana wrote on Apr 23rd, 2018 at 9:22pm:

Probably part of a generation they call the  entitled ones.
Whats happening to this country mate?   

Brave guys in numbers but gutless on their own. Angry

Shot a few deer,caugth some big trout and salmon

IP Logged

bushwanderer
Forum Font

hunt, fish and dive

Reply #13 - Apr 28th, 2018 at 10:32am
Print Post  
Torana that is just f**d up. What the hell is going through their heads

IP Logged

trapper44
Just Joined

Reply #14 - Apr 28th, 2018 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
yeah, very busy place,sad to say quad bike rider passed away,he was local hunter from nat park,RIP rains.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards