Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Lefty 223 suggestions (Read 1492 times)
Matty-o

Lefty 223 suggestions
Apr 10th, 2018 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
Hi all,

As above a friend of mine is looking for a 223 rifle. Must be left handed. He hunts with an air rifle regularly (with great success I might add) but the 223 will be his first firearm, so a bolt action is preferable.

The howa packages on line look great but howa dont do a lefty at all.

What would you suggest he buy?

Thanks in advance.

IP Logged

padox
Donor Member

Re: Lefty 223 suggestions
Reply #1 - Apr 10th, 2018 at 10:33pm
Print Post  
Tikka do a lefty mate has 1 not a fan myself but he swears by it

IP Logged

Jim Boy

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #2 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
How about a single shot Baikal?  Depending on his hunting requirements may suit just fine. Accurate and very cheap.! in 12 barrell twist though so good for 55 grain bullets but perhaps not so great for heavier bullets if needed.(I'm not sure)

IP Logged

rimubay
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Apr 17th, 2018 at 10:50am
Print Post  
I have a left hand T3, 1:8 twist which I'm very happy with accuracy-wise (although a lot of waisted action length!). Bought my son a CZ527, which is a lovely little rifle (mini action - wood/blued). His is RH, but they also come in LH - not especially cheap unless you can pick one up 2nd hand.

IP Logged

Matty-o

Reply #4 - Apr 20th, 2018 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
Hi Jim Boy,

Yeah there was a single shot on tm last eek that went for $485 with a scope which I thought was a good first rifle. Stainless too. Just shooting wobblys and goats, so dont need to have fast follow up shots. Maybe the best way forward is one of those. He is a cheapskate too so buying a $2k rifle is out of the question.

Thanks for your advice.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #5 - Apr 21st, 2018 at 9:05am
Print Post  
the bakail is a great wee gun.
they work well and are accurate enough,very few issues arrise with them and dont seem to loose value much.
a simple and cheap airgun mount will see scope mounted securely and straight with out any fuss,as the .22 sized dovetails are ok but its hard to get scope "just right" using them alone.
you can decock a bakail easily enough so its VERY safe to carry with round up the spout,simple to recock to fire .
dont fret the 55grn thing......goats and fellow dont need big heavy pill to tip over and a box of premium factory stuff or some simple 50grn barnes loads will take care of anything bigger without fuss.

IP Logged

6.5x55bjai

Reply #6 - Apr 21st, 2018 at 9:42am
Print Post  
Back to the OP's mates 'preferable", which was a bolt gun - has he tried a RH bolt gun? Over theyearsI have run into quite a few lefties that have only ever used RH bolt guns and whilst it lookes awkward they had no real problems. (Chime in lefties telling me I am wrong). The sniper in Saving Private Ryan had no probs  Smiley
Also, unfortunately LH firearms can cost more than the conventional RH rifles, are harder to come by, plus they also seem to be harder to sell second hand and drop in value sometimes more than a RH equivalent.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #7 - Apr 21st, 2018 at 11:36am
Print Post  
there has been a couple or 3 lefty zastavas come up 2nd hand over last 2 years......

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #8 - Apr 21st, 2018 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
6.5x55bjai wrote on Apr 21st, 2018 at 9:42am:
Back to the OP's mates 'preferable", which was a bolt gun - has he tried a RH bolt gun? Over theyearsI have run into quite a few lefties that have only ever used RH bolt guns and whilst it lookes awkward they had no real problems. (Chime in lefties telling me I am wrong). The sniper in Saving Private Ryan had no probs  Smiley

I'm a 'lefty' but I shoot a RH gun, but then I am right handed.
If I was him I'd get the rifle of choice and learn how to do it.
I also learned how to saw and hammer left handed when I got 'tennis elbow' building my house - can now do both left or right handed - no difference.

I think that makes me amphibious.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #9 - Apr 21st, 2018 at 5:41pm
Print Post  
Grin Grin Grin Grin nearly spilt me cuppa tea when I read that Mate.....

IP Logged

fatharry
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #10 - Apr 23rd, 2018 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
American Ruger L/H .223. They shoot well.
Had to remove a little of the fore end stock to clear barrel on mine. Plus looking at stronger magazine release clip spring.
I like mine.

Remember the lesson...don't waste the pain

IP Logged

fatharry
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #11 - Apr 23rd, 2018 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
(Chime in lefties telling me I am wrong).

all of my rifles in the past were R/H.
purchased a tikka t3x L/H
then a savage .22 L/H
then an American Ruger .223 L/H

should have done this years ago.
So much easier for me to use a L/H bolt than R/H bolt action.

Remember the lesson...don't waste the pain

IP Logged

Deer hunter Duck Shooter

Reply #12 - Apr 24th, 2018 at 6:33am
Print Post  
I hunt with a leftie, and he was quite capable with his right hand gun for 30 years or more. Even shooting as a job in the earlier part of this time.
Then he got a tikka L/H 5 years ago I can still see his grin "this is so easy" he still loves the ease.
I would get a Tikka if I was you.

IP Logged

tim37
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #13 - Apr 24th, 2018 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
I had been using right handed actions for the last 25 years then got a left handed tikka two years ago and since then haven't taken anything but the leftie out for a walk

IP Logged

kiwishooter
Donor Member

Reply #14 - Apr 24th, 2018 at 11:30pm
Print Post  
6.5x55bjai wrote on Apr 21st, 2018 at 9:42am:
Also, unfortunately LH firearms can cost more than the conventional RH rifles, are harder to come by, plus they also seem to be harder to sell second hand and drop in value sometimes more than a RH equivalent.

Well isn't that a bit of a contradiction!!!
According to the above L/H rifles don't come up very often and lose value quicker than the equivalent R/H rifle...............so if you wait a used L/H rifle will be cheap.

Just can't understand why L/H used rifles don't come up for sale very often Roll Eyes Wink might be because us lefties don't sell rifles very often..........we just keep buying them.

The only reason left hand shooters use R/H guns is because that's all that used to be available, and even now when I look in shops you'll be lucky to see a L/H  rifle in the rack

My advise why bother handicapping yourself with a R/H rifle, buy a leftie, they are worth it in every way.

If it ain't broke, I can fix it 'til it is!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards