Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Upper Glaisnock 2nd Period (Read 3939 times)
Lou Nunn
Donor Member

Upper Glaisnock 2nd Period
Apr 9th, 2018 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
After drawing the Wild Natives for the first period last year and having an absolute ball with mainly fine weather, plenty of promising animals seen and an old 40 inch 11 pointer shot (the animal they show as the 8-9 year old Bull in the briefing video) It was a no brainer that we would apply again this year.
Our party of two (my son and I) drew the Upper Glaisnock for the second period which we would be sharing a couple of other South Island hunters.
We met Shane and Pete at the briefing the night before going in, and over a beer decided how we would divide the block up. My son and I would take the true right meaning we would be heading up Henderson burn ridge and leaving Kakapo and Taheke creeks to the others.
The first period this year had atrocious weather and the second period’s 10-day weather forecast wasn’t to flash either, but when you have a designated time you have to deal with what you’re given. One of the down sides going into a managed area.
At least the bad weather wasn’t a surprise so we prepared well and could plan accordingly, we were getting dropped off and picked up by Fiordland water taxies, we had a mountain radio so could change the pick up as needed.
12 of us headed off on the boat at 7am Thursday morning, 3 to Lugar burn, 4 into the Upper Glaisnock and 5 walking through to the Wild Natives. The weather although forecast to rain most days wasn’t meant to turn really nasty until Friday night giving everyone 2 days to get in and set up a good dry camp.
My son and I only had about 2 ½ hours walk through the Lower Glaisnock before we were heading towards the tops.

Henderson burn stream

Now I’m 57 and with 25kgs of gear on my back it was one very broken arse man that finally made camp in the scrub once we had broken the back of the main ridge. On the way up we heard maybe ½ a dozen stags bugling or roaring around the  400 -500 meter altitude mark , we stopped and roared one in pretty close but only got to see a small satellite stag (spiker) that came within 40meters. Our eyes were on the open tops so we didn’t linger at that height.

Camp out of the wind

Next day we moved camp to just below the open tussock and prepared everything for the rain and gale force winds that were predicted to hit that night. We spent the evening glassing the small area of tops we could see from our position but nothing was spotted.
The storm came as forecast but by 9am Saturday morning things had fined up enough to allow us a days hunting on the tops in reasonable weather. We basically followed the path that Willie from NZ Hunter followed for the last couple of days of their trip in the episode earlier this year.  We had a nice Wapiti type 8 pointer come in close, hang around then slowly wander off along the main ridge. We carried on to the basin above the Rock Biv , a great looking area and with plenty of glassing we soon spotted a cow on her own and then later a small mob sitting in the sun. The mob was a stag holding 3 cows but disappointingly he was only a 6 pointer, we stayed and glassed but couldnt find anything bigger (any big boy might have already been shot or maybe this young fella was rich lol) The weather changes quickly and soon it was hailing and snowing so it was time to head back along the ridge to our protected camp 300 meters below in the scrub.
Sunday was relatively fine but with deteriorating weather forecast for Monday we decided to head off the tops and down to the 400 meter mark to see if the lower stags were still going strong (we hadn’t heard a single roar or bugle while high on the tops. Once lower we had a couple of stags answering our calls and my son got a nice video on his phone of a 9 pointer (red looking) crossing the river.
Monday we decided to camp back over the Henderson burn stream as the storm that was about to hit was going to make that impossible within 24 hours. That night we organised the boat to come pick us up on the Tuesday arvo meaning we only stayed in 6 days .With showers and more bad weather due on the Friday we decided to call it a day and spend a couple of days drying out at home.
The weather really cut down on the amount of time spent on the tops, it would have been great to have been able to camp right up there but the risk of tent damage etc just made it not worthwhile. I think the FWF will be pretty happy with the results that are being seen, I’ve heard a couple of nice animals have been taken this year already, even with the heavily reduced number of hours spent hunting due to both 1st and 2nd periods bad weather ….and as I write this snow is predicted to low levels for the 3rd….so maybe the kill number might be a bit lower this year.
All in all we had a great time, birdlife was outstanding.

The view back up Henderson burn (Lowewr Gaisnock block)

Kakapo on the left and Nitz on the right

Looking up Kakapo Creek

IP Logged

warrior

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Upper Glaisnock 2nd Period
Reply #1 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
Lou      are you  stu   brother  if you are  your a Northcote  old boy  Smiley

IP Logged

Lou Nunn
Donor Member

Reply #2 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
warrior wrote on Apr 9th, 2018 at 5:04pm:
Lou      are you  stu   brother  if you are  your a Northcote  old boy  Smiley

Yep sure am, been down south in CHCH now for the last 9 years

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

Reply #3 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
good writeup.  Smiley
weather stuffed up many hunting trips around the country, I'm picking

anotherparty (father and daughter?) got caught on wrong side of Henderson Burn and used PLB to get out , I read

PS  should be more reports from the ballot blocks, surely?

IP Logged

Lou Nunn
Donor Member

Reply #4 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
Tararua Hunter wrote on Apr 9th, 2018 at 5:22pm:
good writeup.  Smiley
weather stuffed up many hunting trips around the country, I'm picking

anotherparty (father and daughter?) got caught on wrong side of Henderson Burn and used PLB to get out , I read

PS  should be more reports from the ballot blocks, surely?

Yeah we bumped into them early on, I reckon they'll have to pay for that taxi ride

IP Logged

Moonlight
Just Joined

Reply #5 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
SmileyThanks enjoyed the report.

IP Logged

264Magic
Donor Member

Reply #6 - Apr 10th, 2018 at 9:01am
Print Post  
good read n pics

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

wapiti man

Reply #7 - Apr 10th, 2018 at 9:35am
Print Post  
Thanks for the report, been wondering how people fared this year in Wap blocks, your'e the first report I've seen.

Lost a pair of bino's (fell out of my day bag) on that ridge many years ago. Shame all was quiet on the tops. A great spot on a calm sunny day.

IP Logged

Stagrinon
Donor Member

No pain No gain.

Reply #8 - Apr 10th, 2018 at 10:25am
Print Post  
Solid effort Lads,  Better luck next time. Cool

IP Logged

Catguts
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #9 - Apr 10th, 2018 at 10:55am
Print Post  
Excellent report . Thanks

IP Logged

cb14
Forum Font

Reply #10 - Apr 10th, 2018 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
Very cool.  Thanks for posting.

IP Logged

outdoorlad
Forum Font

Reply #11 - Apr 10th, 2018 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the report  Cool

IP Logged

seventenths
Forum Font

Reply #12 - Apr 10th, 2018 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
Well done on getting in their as its by no means an easy feat but most of all thanks for sharing your adventure.

“We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors. We borrow it from our children."

IP Logged

brian
Donor Member

why tiptoe thru life only
to die safely

Reply #13 - Apr 12th, 2018 at 8:27am
Print Post  
Nice write up thanks.Makes me jealous.
Weather doesn't sound the best for the first 2 periods.
Son's down there for the third forecast seems better.
They've gone to Mt Tanilba.

Never argue with an idiot anyone watching may not be able to tell the difference

IP Logged

Sayonara
Donor Member

Always ready to learn

Reply #14 - Apr 12th, 2018 at 9:00am
Print Post  
Nice.
Know the Lugar Burn and Glaisnock areas pretty well and it's tough country.
Great way to get some family time.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards