Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic heat treating stainless steel blades (Read 632 times)
Von Gruff
Donor Member

heat treating stainless steel blades
Apr 5th, 2018 at 9:03am
Print Post  
So all ready to go on the 12C27 stainless steel kitchen blades now as the foil turned up this morning. I  will not be able to get to it till next week as there is a hunt organised among a few other obligations that will come first..

This is the set up I have in place now. I got a piece of 4x2 box and modified it by having it cut down to 3 3/4 in height to fit the forge opening, then welded a couple of supports to hold the probe toward the top of the box and clear of touching either the foil wrapped blade or the box itself.

The angle iron is a heat blocker, unbreakable and just as effective as a fire brick.

You can see the probe supports inside the muffer. The flange to the side and underneath makes sure there is no flame line towards my hands when putting a blade in or out of the muffler and also protects the rest of the probe covering past the insulators.

The angle iron also has a probe usability if I need to controll the heat when not using the muffler or without the probe in place it is a good heat blocker

The ability to do comes with doing

IP Logged

Von Gruff
Donor Member

Re: heat treating stainless steel blades
Reply #1 - Apr 8th, 2018 at 6:09pm
Print Post  
Was supposed to be away hunting today but the property owner had to be away for the day so I will get a look at it later in the week when he is home again. I had the day in the shed instead and decided to make a pair of table knives. My wife prefers a shorter knife to me so made a his and hers set and got that ready to HT. With the  12C27 SS kitchen knife set powdered and foil wrapped, I fired up the forge and got them all heat treated. Was a simple thing to keep the heat controlled at the required 1960 degrees for the SS and 1560 for the 15N20 HC table knife set. You will notice a "spare" in with the kitchen set which was a first attempt at the large sicer that I got the bevels wrong on so I reshaped it into a general purpose knife.

The ability to do comes with doing

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards