Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Lightweight compact binos (Read 855 times)
fullchoke
Donor Member

Its good at the top of
the food chain

Lightweight compact binos
Apr 3rd, 2018 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
Hi guys, I've checked out a couple of old threads on this but there seems to be quite a few brands out there since that have become more competitive.. I do a lot of bush hunting in some areas that have a bit of broken bush / slips and rather than taking my weighty 10x42s was looking at something a bit smaller and compact such as 10x25s. Something that will be more comfy than looking through a scope but weighing in around the 250-300grams. I can't afford the Leicas but after a mid range option. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks FC

IP Logged

johnv308

Sika - The cunning buggers

Re: Lightweight compact binos
Reply #1 - Apr 4th, 2018 at 8:04am
Print Post  
Have a look at the Zeiss Terra ED 8x25 compact bino's -- extremely good review's and these are actually made in Japan.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #2 - Apr 4th, 2018 at 11:31am
Print Post  
I got an old pair of Nikon Travelite 7x binos I've carried for years and I reckon they're just about perfect for bush work.
They weigh bugger all and I carry them around my neck on a short cord and just plop them down the front of my shirt or jumper.
I hardly know they're there and it's so easy to pull them out one handed for a quick look at that - 'wonder what that is' moment.

Not so good for evening work when you're losing light - nor long distance work.

I also got Leupold 6x30 Yosemite's which are better for that sort of work, but being a mid-size binocular you do know you're carrying them and I usually leave them at home.

8x in my opinion is too much magnification in the bush and in compacts the field of view is too limited.
Be okay for sitting and glassing mid distance bush slips though.

IP Logged

fullchoke
Donor Member

Its good at the top of
the food chain

Reply #3 - Apr 4th, 2018 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
Thanks yeah the Zeiss could be an option although on the pricier side of what I had in mind.
Not required so much for in the bush as such but glassing opposite faces / slips, anywhere from 100-300m distance.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #4 - Apr 4th, 2018 at 9:26pm
Print Post  
fullchoke wrote on Apr 4th, 2018 at 3:39pm:
Thanks yeah the Zeiss could be an option although on the pricier side of what I had in mind.
Not required so much for in the bush as such but glassing opposite faces / slips, anywhere from 100-300m distance.

There you go - almost made your mind up and I don't think going Zeiss is ever a bad call.

Going quality never hurts, as many have said here - 'buy once ........... and I've forgotten how the rest goes.

IP Logged

Good keen bloke

I love my Tikka T3

Reply #5 - Jun 27th, 2018 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
I tried bushnell h2o 10x25 binos. Very cheap so was worth a shot but unfortunately they were crap. My eyes got sore after 10 mins of glassing & had to keep focusing them all the time & not very sharp.
So I bit the bullet & purchased a pair of swarovski mountain compact 10x25's. Man are these wee beauty's good. I compared them to my older leica 10x40's & found them quite a bit sharper & clearer.
I can glass all day with them & no eye strain. Took them tahr hunting this month & found them excellent alround from the river bed & up the hill.
Only cost me a fly shit under $1200 new from an online camera shop in Auckland.
I totally recommend them & have sold my leica 10x40's since meaning the wee swaros are my only binos from now on.

7mil is the ultimate pill

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards