Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Range Finder or Glass. Which first? (Read 1024 times)
CarbonSpyder
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Range Finder or Glass. Which first?
Apr 2nd, 2018 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
Hey everyone just getting started on the Forum.

I started shooting archery with my grandfather from about 11 years old until about 16. Shot both compound and traditional. I had the urge to shoot again after seeing some videos on YouTube and thought I'd pick up a bow again at 25 with the intent to hunt.

Flash forward a few months I have picked up a bow and kit from a hunter going back to rifle. Bow, good release, plenty of arrows, fixed and mechanical heads and I am damaging arrows on each other at 20yrds and grouping hand size at about 30yrds.

I am in Auckland and wanting to go after my first Goat on doc land here or in the Waikato area.

My question is would it be better to go for good binoculars or a good range finder first for a bow hunter. Which would you rather have? Cheers

IP Logged

Bowunter

Shoot to thrill

Re: Range Finder or Glass. Which first?
Reply #1 - Apr 3rd, 2018 at 6:18pm
Print Post  
probably good binos more important for a bow hunter, any half decent range finder will give you an accurate reading within bow range

IP Logged

Radar
Forum Font

Armed Tramper 😈

Reply #2 - Apr 3rd, 2018 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
For me personally with the set up Iíve got I can shoot out to 50M if I want to so the rangefinder is my go to first.
Personally Iíd take time to think how far you want to shoot safely (to ensure a quick accurate kill) I have a mate who is capable and accurate out to 70M with his set up.
Itís Personal.

Fate whispers to the warrior
'you cannot withstand the storm',
And the warrior whispers back
' I am the storm'
Toys
Tikka the T3 Hunter 7mm08
Baikal .223 Spartan
Martin Falcon 65lb Compound bow

IP Logged

Marchnic
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #3 - Apr 9th, 2018 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
I'd go with the good glass first. If you can't find the animals, you cant shoot them. Like stated above, you can find cheaper rangefinders that will get the job done. Practice guessing the yardage, shooting, then pacing it off to see how far it really was. You'd be amazed at how quickly you'll be able to guess yardage. Plus once you do get a rangefinder, you'll have a skill that a lot of bowhunters who strictly use rangefinders don't have.

IP Logged

Kevin Watson

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #4 - Apr 11th, 2018 at 11:43pm
Print Post  
Rangefinders first without a doubt.
If you don't know the range you will most likely miss where you want to hit.
No one can just range accurately in the field due to the variations in animal sizes and terrain.
Get a good set of rangefinders, your return on investment will be very quick.

Good luck

IP Logged

cb14
Forum Font

Reply #5 - Apr 18th, 2018 at 5:14pm
Print Post  
Kevin Watson wrote on Apr 11th, 2018 at 11:43pm:
Rangefinders first without a doubt.
If you don't know the range you will most likely miss where you want to hit.
No one can just range accurately in the field due to the variations in animal sizes and terrain.
Get a good set of rangefinders, your return on investment will be very quick.

Good luck

+ 1

IP Logged

CarbonSpyder
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #6 - Apr 28th, 2018 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I picked up some cheapo binos and a range finder off of Wish to play with while I get the good stuff.

The binos were under $100 and are marked bushnell. They don't look top of the line but work fine and are clear. Not sure if they are legit but they work.

The range finder was 20 bucks but is not laser. It's works off of the size of your target, then mathematically tells you how far your target is by how small it is in the distance. Theoretically it should work, but probably not the best for hunting as its not a point and click. You would need a fairly stationary target.

So I've decided to grab a range finder when I have some coin, seems to be the popular choice and the binos will do until I'm on some on some longer range hunts.

Cheers  Cool

IP Logged

awaterelad
Donor Member

bloody work, i should
be hunting

Reply #7 - Apr 29th, 2018 at 10:32am
Print Post  
+1 for getting range finder first, second hand would be okay too if it is of a brand with reasonable quality. if your hunting an area with reasonable animal numbers and its all bush then bino's are of only limited usefulness to you anyway. but something to save for eventually. it will depend on your approach but i find when bow hunting i hunt a much smaller area more thoroughly as apposed to walking for africa and hoping to eventually bump into something, hunting a smaller area that you become more familiar with will pay dividends more so than the slight  randomness of more a rifle style of hunting where you cover a much larger area less thoroughly.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards