Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Possum Trapping vs Thermal Imaging? (Read 1430 times)
febster
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Possum Trapping vs Thermal Imaging?
Apr 2nd, 2018 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
Hi Just wanting to know peoples thoughts on what would be more productive Thermal imaging or Trapping for possums?
Thermal imaging can also be easier because of not having to set traps if the area is not worth it etc and also if you are not able to go for a few days you do not have to worry about unsetting traps etc.

Doc also does not allow rimfires and shooting at night on Doc land so would rule this out.

Thanks in advance.

IP Logged

possum_shooter
Forum Senior

Re: Possum Trapping vs Thermal Imaging?
Reply #1 - Apr 2nd, 2018 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
How are you going to kill them once you've located them with thermal gear?

IP Logged

febster
Just Joined

Reply #2 - Apr 2nd, 2018 at 5:30pm
Print Post  
Sorry I was meaning I would use a thermal scope on a 22 but would have to be on private land. Really wanting to know if it would be more effective than say 80-100 traps catching say 15 -20 possums a night. would just walk through the bush at night instead

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

Reply #3 - Apr 2nd, 2018 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
traps by far.  lure does just that lure them to traps, for thermal to be effective youd have to be there when the coons are out and they all have different bedtimes  Cheesy
also theres the issue that thermal wont see through thick branches or canopy and would also mean grid searching bush a  night.... Not the smartest or funnest thing to do

IP Logged

southotago hern

Meat hunter for life

Reply #4 - Jun 7th, 2018 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
funny old thing I had a spear week up my sleve 2 week's back so took the family to the crib down the coast droped 20 trap's through the bush for 4 night's . The result is that a keen dog is just if not more effective on monkey's than trap's. As i'm setting and rebaiting the dog kept brining more koon's that what I was catching she could find nest's of three at a time and if she couldn't  drag them out for me to dong then she just indicted where i should poke about. So now my theroy is walk in the daylight with a hammer and dog plucking as you go

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #5 - Jun 7th, 2018 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
thermal would be interesting in fringe country...I can see it being better than a spotlight having watched HCs video a while back of wallabies. the biggest issue which you have already twigged to is acess to private land where night shooting is allowed... and a dog who will bail coons up a tree is great fun and very effective as you can shoot n pluck one while dog keeps next one up tree till youve finished.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards