Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Another wander down south (Read 2410 times)
Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Another wander down south
Mar 28th, 2018 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
Went south for the annual trip with son Aaron, into the Lake Sumner Forest park area
Got dropped off by local heli operator Simon lawn in his R44. Parks at the roadend and waited while Simon plucked about 20 plus deer off the tops nearby. Mostly fairly small animals
Simon let us know where others were he’d dropped off, and left us to it for the next 3 weeks

Turns out, this was one of only two fine days were experienced. Could see that further east the weather was bit better, but misty rain, rain, heavy rain happened most days, with out clearance for a couple hours, to have a look about

Spotted few deer, mainly in the alpine scrub, sometimes those animals were seen higher up. Right up among the steep rocky faces that were more like tahr country

No roars heard, saw few stags. One 13 pointer Aaron checked out, no bad but not quite big enough. Another big 8 pointer and also an 11 that will be pretty good in a year or so.

The trip went bit pear shaped after a week, during a storm at night. We had dug trenches as usual, for drainage around the tents, with garden trowels. This night, the wind was roaring like a train over the ridge top, and while we were fairly sheltered, a dump of wind, sometimes every 30 seconds would near flatten the tent. Was thinking long as don’t get flooded out, would be ok, but checked outside and the hillside was  pouring water everywhere. So it was dig deeper in pouring rain, when my terra Nova Photon 2 tent collapsed. A pole had broken and end went thru the roof of the tent. Bugga

I had a Rab Siltarp over the tent, but with the wind gusts, that was of no use. Rain got in underneath with every gust that lifted it.

Fixed it with a sleeve, but when back out tying down the fly for the umpteenth time, tent collapsed again. Inside tent to  wet to stay there, so bundled it up and climbed into Aarons Vaude, that didn’t have room for 2. Spent the rest of the night getting knocked on the head by tent poles, with every big gust of wind.

Eased off later in the morning, so we abandoned camp for one of the valleys
Managed to dry out but I was without a usuable tent. It was quit the trip, but with 2 weeks to go, decided to get another tent

So contacted Simon on the Inreach and got picked up and then drove to Christchurch for a replacement. Lightweight doesn’t work in those conditions, as I found out the painfall way, and bought a fairly heavy 2 person MSR Elixir. Decided I’d get something that would survive up on the tops. Weighed about 2.6 kgs I think. Bit heavy for me
Flew back in with Simon, on our second fine day. A bit of a hunt along the tops revealed few more deer, one an 11 pointer. Checked out a nice scrubby feed area on the bushline, but nothing seen. Checked again just before dark, and one by one, 7 hinds showed themselves. They had been parked up under the scrub during the day, scattered over the area I was glassing.
Nearly all the deer we saw, were in these alpine scrub areas

Except one out on the gravel in a riverbed. Head not to bad, but it was on a mission, heading away from me. Wasn’t spooked, seemed determined to head across the valley and into the bush on other side.

We needed to traverse the range to get to another camp site, couple days was away, and decided going down into the valleys was the best way. Forecast was crap right thru until we were due out, and decided the effort to climb back onto the tops to set in the mist and rain wasn’t worth it.

So after sitting out the rain for a few days, and still a week to go, headed for the roadend, which took  7 hours first day then another 3, the next.

Thought maybe the Tararuas might be better weather, but its not, turns out

So its another hunt for a  tent that can handle wind, reasonably, lots of rain,  (and not too heavy.) preferably not a single person tent, they don’t have enough room for extended trips.

No roars heard

Got great service from Simon. we still have a stash of food and gear that's up on the tops, he's going to bring it out for us

IP Logged

trusty222
Donor Member

"HOT BARRELS AND SAGGING
TAIL LINES"

Re: Another wander down south
Reply #1 - Mar 28th, 2018 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
Nice one TH, bugger that lite weight kit, hope there is still1 or 2 left for me when I finally get down there

Hot barrels

DOG TRAINING "GET IT RIGHT THE 1ST TIME & TRAIN FOR SUCCESS"
WWW.BCL.KIWI
IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

Reply #2 - Mar 28th, 2018 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
trusty222 wrote on Mar 28th, 2018 at 5:32pm:
Nice one TH, bugger that lite weight kit, hope there is still1 or 2 left for me when I finally get down there

Hot barrels

lol, have to agree Trusty, bout light tents. Undecided

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #3 - Mar 28th, 2018 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
Must have been a hulluva storm. Great read too.  Smiley

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

LOVETT
Forum Font

Hunting the Kaweka, Ruahine
& Tararua Forest Parks

Reply #4 - Mar 28th, 2018 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
Tararua Hunter wrote on Mar 28th, 2018 at 5:57pm:
trusty222 wrote on Mar 28th, 2018 at 5:32pm:

Hot barrels

lol, have to agree Trusty, bout light tents. Undecided

Bloody good write up.

Trusty your name came up a couple of times when TH gave me the run down on the weather.

Do you rate that Hillberg in a NW wind ?

Cheers, Dan

YOU'LL LEARN NO HARM FROM THE HILLS - NEWTON MCCONOCHIE

IP Logged

Tommo mk2

Je Suis Prest

Reply #5 - Mar 29th, 2018 at 8:31am
Print Post  
Epic. Thanks!

IP Logged

seventenths
Forum Font

Reply #6 - Mar 29th, 2018 at 9:53am
Print Post  
What an adventure... one you won't forget in a hurry

“We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors. We borrow it from our children."

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

Reply #7 - Mar 29th, 2018 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
seventenths wrote on Mar 29th, 2018 at 9:53am:
What an adventure... one you won't forget in a hurry

No, wont sevenths
lost my custom knife as well Cry

IP Logged

BC
Donor Member

Reply #8 - Mar 29th, 2018 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
Quite an adventure.

Exactly same thing happened to my Terra Nova. Its chucked in a corner now being taught a lesson, and has been replaced. Not with a Terra Nova though. I just couldn't get any sense out of them - wanted me to send the tent and poles to some outfit in Scotland for repair.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

Max
Donor Member

Reply #9 - Mar 29th, 2018 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
Nice report.

It should make the next trip seem like a breeze, even it is somewhat ordinary?

IP Logged

outdoorlad
Forum Font

Reply #10 - Mar 29th, 2018 at 6:48pm
Print Post  
Definitely an adventure TH, we spent two nights on the tops on the weekend in howling winds before deciding we were pushing our luck with the tent (Hubba Hubba) & headed lower, saw those Msr Elixir tents on sale in Vancouver for CA$213 plus tax a couple of weeks ago, nearly bought one as it was so cheap. Guess that inreach came in handy.

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

Reply #11 - Mar 29th, 2018 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
BC wrote on Mar 29th, 2018 at 1:33pm:
Quite an adventure.

Exactly same thing happened to my Terra Nova. Its chucked in a corner now being taught a lesson, and has been replaced. Not with a Terra Nova though. I just couldn't get any sense out of them - wanted me to send the tent and poles to some outfit in Scotland for repair.

mine was ok if your could pick when you go, weatherwise. ie short trips, where your can retreat out of it.
But if your booked to go, got a block ballot, or there for extended time, got take what weather comes. so need something the survive anything

but I left my tent poles for the photon up there, so wont be using it again. can be repaired.

meanwhile, Trusty222 is sitting in his bomb shelter, smiling... Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Craigc
Forum Font

Reply #12 - Mar 30th, 2018 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
Wow, that would have been one to remember. Hearing great things about those inreach units; might have to get one!
A man needs a bomb proof tent. I just purchased a MSR Hubba NX, but I sure did keep my Macpac Minaret, ‘cause that MSR doesn’t look like it would take a pounding and still be standing!

Great report, really enjoyed it.  Smiley

IP Logged

northwester
Donor Member

Don't forget the coffee

Reply #13 - Mar 31st, 2018 at 7:15am
Print Post  
You've certainly put the effort in again fellas!
Bit of a bugger bout the weather too.
Your wife has a great sense of humour as we were constructing weather forecasts but we couldn't sugarcoat them to keep you up high for another week aye! Wink Grin Grin

IP Logged

footsore
Forum Senior

Hunting - Cultural Immersion
in the Wilderness

Reply #14 - Mar 31st, 2018 at 8:07am
Print Post  
Great effort team. Cool
That night huddled together in a wee tent sounds like a  l-o-n-g  l-o-n-g one.

Glade to hear your wife has a sense of humour TH she might have needed it upon learning about the extra expense of helio flights and the new tent. Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards