Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Vanguard ED 10x42 versus Vortex Razor (Read 1344 times)
bushwanderer
Forum Font

hunt, fish and dive

Vanguard ED 10x42 versus Vortex Razor
Mar 24th, 2018 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
Gday

After a decent set of binos, but don't have a few grand (and then some) to get swarvoski EL series. Also the majority of my hunting is in the bush but am expanding to tops and South island hopefully soon.

I am considering the Vortex Viper or more expensive Vortex Razor 10x42. However alot of reviews suggest the Vanguard ED IV 10x42 is amazing quality and value. I haven't been able to find any in the stores to look through, so interested in others opinions.

Budget up to $1.5k

Thanks

IP Logged

BC
Donor Member

Re: Vanguard ED 10x42 versus Vortex Razor
Reply #1 - Mar 25th, 2018 at 8:23am
Print Post  
I have the Vanguard and highly recommend them.
I got them from here. Good service.
https://www.jacobsdigital.co.nz/collections/telescopes?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz6Wb9eS...

I would also look at these: https://www.tractoptics.com

You need to contact Tract directly because you can't buy from NZ through their site. Their 'scopes are excellent too.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

bushwanderer
Forum Font

hunt, fish and dive

Reply #2 - Mar 25th, 2018 at 10:12am
Print Post  
Thanks for the link BC, never heard of tract but they have good specs and dielectric coating on the lenses. The 17x5 star reviews is ominous haha might search a bit wider.

I wonder of Jacobs digital have vanguards in stock, could make an effort to get up there and look through them

IP Logged

BC
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Mar 25th, 2018 at 10:39am
Print Post  
bushwanderer wrote on Mar 25th, 2018 at 10:12am:
Thanks for the link BC, never heard of tract but they have good specs and dielectric coating on the lenses. The 17x5 star reviews is ominous haha might search a bit wider.

I wonder of Jacobs digital have vanguards in stock, could make an effort to get up there and look through them

I have a Tract Toric 3x15 scope and its top class. There are no middle agents so they are good value. I would definitely get their binos if I ever need another pair. Absolutely nothing wrong with the vanguards though and Ive compared them with the best.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

bushwanderer
Forum Font

hunt, fish and dive

Reply #4 - Mar 26th, 2018 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
The torrics look really good actually, and have won some awards on outdoor life reviews. Only issue it seems is they have been around for 2-3 years and you could question reliability and warranty/guarantee as its not proven and a young company.

kind of like the kuiu version of optics it seems.

IP Logged

BC
Donor Member

Reply #5 - Mar 27th, 2018 at 6:44am
Print Post  
bushwanderer wrote on Mar 26th, 2018 at 8:43pm:
The torrics look really good actually, and have won some awards on outdoor life reviews. Only issue it seems is they have been around for 2-3 years and you could question reliability and warranty/guarantee as its not proven and a young company.

kind of like the kuiu version of optics it seems.

You will find that the owners will deal with you directly and give great service.
I checked the warranty with them and it seemed ok but remember no matter what product you bring in from over seas you are going to have hassles with postage etc if you need to get it serviced.
I'm totally happy with what I got off them and would leap at the binos.
They have the previous 10x42 bino model on special for a $100 off. Did you see that?

IP Logged

BC
Donor Member

Reply #6 - Mar 27th, 2018 at 6:46am
Print Post  
p.s The Vangaurds are still right up there too.

The Euro bino snobs know nothing. Seriously.

IP Logged

bushwanderer
Forum Font

hunt, fish and dive

Reply #7 - Mar 28th, 2018 at 6:35am
Print Post  
Haha thanks BC, I like your honesty. Maybe everyone jumps on the bandwagon with euro glass, I suppose it should be the best for 3-5k price tags.

I'm going up to Auckland in a few weeks so will go to Jacobs digital and try the vanguards out, will then decide of they are algood or maybe import the tract.

Cheers for the help

IP Logged

HuntGatherRepeat
Donor Member

Big Lake Country

Reply #8 - Mar 29th, 2018 at 5:44am
Print Post  
Where are you based? I've got the Vanguard Endeavor II if you want to have a look around Taupo.

If all else fails, read the instructions.

IP Logged

bushwanderer
Forum Font

hunt, fish and dive

Reply #9 - Mar 29th, 2018 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
Wellington mate, but will be in the bush until April 17th. Thanks for the offer! I should be able to see them in the shop mid/late April in AKL

IP Logged

BC
Donor Member

Reply #10 - Mar 29th, 2018 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
Im in Wellington if you want to see mine. PM me.

IP Logged

Aaron B
Forum Senior

Reply #11 - Apr 1st, 2018 at 10:31am
Print Post  
Hey boys. I'm finally looking to replace the Nikko Stirlings i've had since I started hunting (don't laugh, they've done me well).

Who else can comment on these Vanguard EDs? I'm reading good things but not from forums I trust as much.

Anyone used the ED4? I see they've sold out at least on the Vangaurd website. Anyone know if they're much different to the EDII?

IP Logged

BC
Donor Member

Reply #12 - Apr 2nd, 2018 at 7:33am
Print Post  
Aaron B wrote on Apr 1st, 2018 at 10:31am:
Hey boys. I'm finally looking to replace the Nikko Stirlings i've had since I started hunting (don't laugh, they've done me well).

Who else can comment on these Vanguard EDs? I'm reading good things but not from forums I trust as much.

Anyone used the ED4? I see they've sold out at least on the Vangaurd website. Anyone know if they're much different to the EDII?

If they are any improvement on the ed2 they will be excellent.

IP Logged

bushwanderer
Forum Font

hunt, fish and dive

Reply #13 - Apr 2nd, 2018 at 8:49am
Print Post  
I think they've done some tweaks for better glass quality but mixed reviews about their longevity.

Spec wise, tract torics use dielectric coating, schott glass and are argon filled.

The vanguards are very similar except not as good a coating (silver versus dielectric), bak4 prisms and nitrogen filled.

Another one to consider amongst these two is the Maven binos (b1?), They are similar in price and business model as tract it seems.

IP Logged

BC
Donor Member

Reply #14 - Apr 6th, 2018 at 7:14am
Print Post  
Jacobs (Birkenhead/Auckland) now have the Vanguard ED 1V. $950.

https://www.jacobsdigital.co.nz/products/vanguard-10-x-42-ed-iv-binoculars

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards