Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Molesworth Roar Blocks-Post 1080 (Read 2312 times)
chamois10
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Molesworth Roar Blocks-Post 1080
Mar 20th, 2018 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
Hi all.  just wondering and curious if anyone has hunted any of the molesworth blocks during this years roar periods that had been 1080'd and how they got on if any were seen

IP Logged

zxreindeer

Wish I was hunting

Re: Molesworth Roar Blocks-Post 1080
Reply #1 - Mar 20th, 2018 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
Hey mate, Yes our ballot finished today. We left early.
Found dead deer,pigs and 1 possum. There were absolutly heaps of skinks,gekos,bumbles,wasps,hares and untold rabbits. Deer were very few and far between. In fact in our entire block we saw 4 deer. 2 hind and yearling pairs. This seemed to be a common theme as the deer we saw in far away blocks seemed as it was a hind and yearling pair, no mobs at all seen.
We saw a further 3 (1 stag,hind,yearling) in next block and more in the block adjacent to that.
These were NON Roar blocks near the quarters.
we saw 1 mob of 7 chamois and 3 single animals only 1 was a buck.

Disappointing was an understatement.
Our block was barren.

Living the Dream
IP Logged

Nick.m
Forum Font

Reply #2 - Mar 21st, 2018 at 5:15am
Print Post  
I had a mate that went in and cane out early. They saw zilch, zero, zip, nothing on the deer front, in a reasonable block. He did say they saw a few goats but that's it.

IP Logged

JetandAlex
Just Joined

Dog and Bloke combo

Reply #3 - Mar 21st, 2018 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
Hey team, we went into quite a well known deer block that should hold deer under the 1080 scheme and hunted hard. We saw sign of a single stag walking up the valley one way and that was it. We didn't lay eyes on a single deer the entire trip and was unbelievably disappointing. We saw a few chamois, goats and a lone boar. I also went into another block in February that was under the 1080 drop and saw only 6 deer and they were on the edge of our block, bordering a non poisoned block. In these two trips counted numerous carcusses and found 8 different stags all in early velvet in one head basin dead. Im hoping we either had terrible luck and couldn't find the deer but I'm not convinced.

Alex

IP Logged

canadakiwi
Donor Member

Nothing is ever as simple
as we hope it will be

Reply #4 - Mar 21st, 2018 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
I drove threw molesworth ten days ago, talked to a Doc worker on the way threw, and asked about the 1080, he commement that the figgered 3000 deer poisoned, I stoped and finished of a rabbit, that was in its death throws, poor thing.
I figgered three would be a few dissapointed hunters, and I think the timing, just prior to the roar, kinda sucks.

IP Logged

chamois10
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #5 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 5:56am
Print Post  
bugger thats not what i was hoping to hear but suspected that would be the case.  could be a wasted trip for me then next week.  how did everyone get on with drinking water situation with there being dead animals in the streams or have they all rotted away completely by now

IP Logged

m robbo

Young Hunter Climb High

Reply #6 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
Brother and a mate went into MaCrae block for 4 days and saw 6 deer They walked most of block heard 1 roar! An absolute shocker!!! Under normal circumstances we would have expected to see 40-50 deer and have great roaring.

IP Logged

zxreindeer

Wish I was hunting

Reply #7 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
We took our own drinking water in with us and got our cooking water from the DOC hut.
The DOC guys were cagey when we asked about the deer situation when we drove in and every time they saw us they would ask what we found out there.
We also found out from a volunteer that the shepherds had been through our block  a couple of days before we got there. That probably didn't help.

Living the Dream
IP Logged

Cantyguy
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #8 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
And the ones that are to be poisoned next year are excluded from the roar ballot this year Sad

Digital Hunter...in search of the perfect pic

IP Logged

Sneaka

I love short range hunting

Reply #9 - Mar 22nd, 2018 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
This does not sound good. It would seem that we tow the line in every way only to be slapped in the face for our efforts. I am assuming that these reports are all from 1080'd blocks? I have a block for next week that did not receive 1080 over most of it, so it will be interesting to see what we see or don't. Only one way to find out. We have had two good years prior but this might be the last year. If the place gets turned in to a Conservation Park then it will be covered in weeds and WARO will be in anyway. Buggar,

IP Logged

chamois10
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #10 - Mar 23rd, 2018 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
Yeah there all 1080'd blocks.  McRae is one of them for sure.  not to sure what blocks the other guys are talking about but are 1080'd ones.  yeah you can only but try by heading in and giving it a crack. thats the only way to find out,

IP Logged

Allizdog

Reply #11 - Mar 23rd, 2018 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
Was in Blinkers block end of October for a meat animal. 1080 pellets everywhere. Saw no deer and came across three good sized freshly dead pigs within a 100m radius. Must have been within days of post drop. What a waste. Sad

IP Logged

zxreindeer

Wish I was hunting

Reply #12 - Mar 24th, 2018 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
Word on the street I have heard WARO were allowed in to clean up some deer before the drop. 500 head were the numbers I have heard.

So this combination of poison and WARO I'm not surprised that we saw fkall.

Living the Dream
IP Logged

chamois10
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #13 - Mar 24th, 2018 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
yea right havent heard that one zxreindeer. which block was it you had just out of interest sake

IP Logged

Cantyguy
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #14 - Mar 24th, 2018 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
zxreindeer wrote on Mar 24th, 2018 at 6:35pm:
Word on the street I have heard WARO were allowed in to clean up some deer before the drop. 500 head were the numbers I have heard.

So this combination of poison and WARO I'm not surprised that we saw fkall.

Nope that's incorrect....a very small amount were shot. No where near those numbers.

Digital Hunter...in search of the perfect pic

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards