Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Dyeing deer hair (Read 3886 times)
sako
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Dyeing deer hair
Reply #15 - Apr 23rd, 2018 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
Some times I wonder if some of our flies are made for show rather than performance.Accept the cicada has a sparkle but after thinking about it even Gods best imitation from Clark Reid got me thinking.Roll on December.My next trick is a mod of the PNT with input from a South African tyer called the Zak nymph. Quite a neat trick to replicate the gills.

IP Logged

Nomads
Donor Member

Angler, hunter, gardener,
cook

Re: Dyeing deer hair
Reply #16 - Apr 23rd, 2018 at 9:27pm
Print Post  
Agree 100% that the human eye decides what looks best on a fly too often.

The glister, i guess, replicates the wing flutter in sunlight above water.

Nice that you are pleased with peacock glister for the body.  you won't be disapointed!
Try a red band of thread on the thorax, similar to a royal wulf, works well. 
I sometimes put  yellow or orange foam post above the white wings.  that's for me to see.

i thought we were running out of time with the cold weather arriving, but 4 bust offs and 8 landed, all on dry/terrestrials, says not.

enjoy

Like a cane chair at a nudist camp, always leave an impression.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards