Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Pest hunting advice (Read 830 times)
LORE
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Pest hunting advice
Mar 15th, 2018 at 9:34am
Print Post  
Hi folks,

I'm really struggling to find blocks to hunt pests on.  I use a .22 air rifle and have my head screwed on properly but people seem wary about letting anyone come on their land, understandably I s'pose. 

I'm in south Auckland but I'm willing to travel a few hours and have a camper I can kip in if needs be.  I'm just a bit wary of door knocking and don't want to get off on the wrong foot.

I'd appreciate any advice or any contacts.

IP Logged

alan and sunny
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Pest hunting advice
Reply #1 - Mar 21st, 2018 at 9:43am
Print Post  
Have a read of this link, Very good advice and just remember to be polite whatever the land owners reaction is.  I've had a few people get quite nasty but they're entitled to their opinions on guns/hunting and we need to respect that.
http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1250715839

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #2 - Mar 21st, 2018 at 11:21am
Print Post  
Have you though about offering to shoot rats and pigeons in the cockys barns. They are a real pesky thing and with a good air rifle and a good bloke behind it.. one thing leads to another.  Smiley

Put it up on Faceplant somewhere in one of the rural communities/small town pages..

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

Setting trends in waterfowling
fashion since 2011

Reply #3 - Mar 21st, 2018 at 2:12pm
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Mar 21st, 2018 at 11:21am:
Have you though about offering to shoot rats and pigeons in the cockys barns. They are a real pesky thing and with a good air rifle and a good bloke behind it.. one thing leads to another.  Smiley

Put it up on Faceplant somewhere in one of the rural communities/small town pages..

Great advice.  Pigeons are good fun at night with a torch and a air rifle.  Nobody hunts them, every shed has some and farmers hate them.

On a related subject getting permission to shoot pigeons with decoys and shotguns on crop stubble paddocks is a lot easier than getting permission to shoot ducks.

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine.  Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #4 - Mar 21st, 2018 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
What sort of .22 is it btw.   PCP?

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

len6163
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #5 - May 13th, 2018 at 2:45am
Print Post  
I have started out rat shooting in chook sheds with an air rifle that after a while got me access to the rest of the farm and other properties for bigger game, maybe it gives the owner/manager a bit of time to check you out
Cheers
Len

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards