Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Javelin bipod (Read 1108 times)
7mmag
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Javelin bipod
Mar 9th, 2018 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
Looking at getting a javelin bipod or similar, what are people's thoughts on them who are using them?

Took me awhile to put a Harris style one on my rifle, is great to shoot with but pain in the ass while attached..

Cheers

IP Logged

Huntsouth
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Javelin bipod
Reply #1 - Mar 11th, 2018 at 9:36am
Print Post  
I still currently use the Harris bipod though carry it in my day pack and to be honest rarely use it nowadays - its the weight and balance issue with having a suppressor fitted to my T3. Half the time when shooting an animal, it's either being from a rest/pack or standing shot at short distance.
Prior to fitting the suppressor, my Harris bipod was used more on the rifle.
Now i am sure the Duley's from NZ Hunter use the Javelin bipod? Pricey piece of kit - looks like about $469.00 whether the short or long leg version? But appears very light being made from carbon fibre and much easier to put on and off. I have been looking at them too - really only double the price of a Harris one. Not seen them in a hunting shop yet, only online as it would be great to handle one first.

IP Logged

seventenths
Forum Font

Reply #2 - Mar 11th, 2018 at 11:53am
Print Post  
Flick "HandR" a PM as he has and uses one.

I thought the were ok though they do seem a bit flimsy as i do like a solid bit of equipment... i thought about getting one but i've come to just shoot over a pack if the situation arises for a longer shot.

“We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors. We borrow it from our children."

IP Logged

noelfj
Forum Font

Reply #3 - Mar 11th, 2018 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
I have to use a walking stick, especially when stepping from the footpath to the road, and of course that sort of situation happens very often when going through the rough stuff, across paddocks etc.
It is a real pain when you encounter fallen trees, slippery up or down bits and any where else where it would be difficult to push a pram.
My stick is almost six feet long and about 1" in diameter, I claimed it from the bush west of Taupo at a favorite spot called the Piro Poro Flats. It is actually more like the staff the Frair-Tuck carried in the Robin Hood TV shows.
This brings me to the point I wish to make, if one finds oneself with a possible shot out to say a couple of hundred yards, then the placement of the staff upon the ground under the fore-stock and holding it and the fore-stock firmly in your left hand then the shooter has good control in one direction which is elevation.
So it becomes a bit of a timing issue because the rifle will swing to the left of right, now one must fire as the sight passes through the acceptable impact area.
This is a bit like duck shooting whereas the shooter times his shot from a moving sight to a stationary target.
All in all I have used this method on running Roos over on Oz and it works well.
So if you discard your Javelin and take up a staff you should do well.

IP Logged

7mmag
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #4 - Mar 11th, 2018 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
Yea took my harris one off on last hunt as am sick of it getting caught up in the bush..
use to always shoot from the pack but dont always have a pack with me, have found the bipod to be real handy when its not caught up on branches, digging into my shoulder or giving the rifle a terrible weight balance.

Am getting pretty keen on the javelin ones, would like to see one first before spending $$$. but as you say not sure of any shops in chch that sell them.

Anybody on here like to sell theres... Wink

IP Logged

HandR
Donor Member

Go ahead Bambi, make my
day.

Reply #5 - Mar 11th, 2018 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
Check out a Neopod. They did have a few problems with the yoke initially, although have cleared up the issue. I broke my first one, although NZ Ammo replaced it immediately. The weighs 86 grams. I like mine. They are a little pricey however.

Cheers
HandR
PS: One was used by the Duleys on NZ Hunter adventures in the show 2 weeks ago.

IP Logged

7mmag
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #6 - Mar 11th, 2018 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
yea have looked at them but believe they are $700 odd...
look to be a nice bit of kit though!

IP Logged

lowbox
Forum Senior

Asleep on the couch

Reply #7 - Jun 24th, 2018 at 11:50am
Print Post  
So are the lightweight bipods (Javelin or Neopod) stable enough for long range shots? Or is the old faithful Harris with a podlock and spikes still the business. Its a PITA to carry round on the rifle  - so getting bipod envy but don't want to end up with an expensive lesson.
This is for my Kimber/trueflite 7mmWSM with March 2.5 - 25 on it so more of a hunting longer range rig that gets carried a fair bit, not for a truck queen.
On another note I also have a snipepod for my bushpig kimber 708 and it is a great unit for medium ranges IMHO.  The SnipePod has legs made of alloy tubes like tent poles and you can sit down behind it and you are up high enough to see over the tussock. But for longer ranges I find it nowhere near as stable as the Harris...

IP Logged

Vulcan
Forum Font

Reply #8 - Jun 24th, 2018 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
I've heard of tripods for javelins, but never bipods...

What kind of deer are you hunting?

IP Logged

lowbox
Forum Senior

Asleep on the couch

Reply #9 - Jun 25th, 2018 at 6:43am
Print Post  
Vulcan wrote on Jun 24th, 2018 at 2:47pm:
I've heard of tripods for javelins, but never bipods...

What kind of deer are you hunting?

Pesky ones that bark at me, I reckon that would teach them a lesson  Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards