Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Keel Gelcoat Damage - Bucccaneer (Read 1613 times)
Highland

Happy in the hills....

Keel Gelcoat Damage - Bucccaneer
Mar 9th, 2018 at 10:51am
Print Post  
Hi, Currently looking at a year 2000 fiberglass boat (Buccaneer 525), it has a keel protection strip fitted but just behind that there is a patch of approx 20cm where the gelcoat has rubbed off, presumably from being run up the beach at rocky lakes. Is this a problem? Would it need to be re-gelcoated (how much $?) and a new keel strip fitted to cover the area? Or is it no problem? Anything else I should be looking out for in a hull of this age?
Cheers

IP Logged

Sauer

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Keel Gelcoat Damage - Bucccaneer
Reply #1 - Mar 11th, 2018 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
So long as it has only rubbed through the gel coat I donít think you will have any problems.

I have a Buccaneer 525 Elite which is a bit earlier than 2000 - about 1998 I think from memory. It is a great hull and still in very good condition as it is kept out of the sun/weather in a shed, just getting a bit small for the 5 of us now that my kids are in their teens.

My only comment would be that if it still has the original factory upholstery, the vinyl is quite thin and mine is tearing along the stitching adjacent to the piping in a couple of places.

Mine is powered by a 115 hp Evinrude and that pushes it along nicely.

IP Logged

Whisper

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #2 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
Gelcoat repair kits are about $35
http://www.smartmarine.co.nz/products/maintenance-paint/fibreglass-repair-kits/5...

You can get a small strip of keel guard or similar to protect the patch - i installed this one from these guys and it has been good on my boat. They also do short pieces.
https://www.marinezone.co.nz/keel-guards.html

IP Logged

QUACKERS
Forum Font

DUCK FEVER NEVER DIES.

Reply #3 - Apr 21st, 2018 at 7:52am
Print Post  
If the gel coat has rubbed off get some flowcoat and brush it on basically gel coat with the wax in it. Talk to the guys at nz fiberglass in glen innes auckland. Very knowledgeable.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards